likely Head Gasket Failure, what else to do while there?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

likely Head Gasket Failure, what else to do while there?

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 12.11.2017, 15:49

my Yellow toy has this coolant leak that somehow only leaks when running.

i put some UV die in the coolant to find the leaking hose/radiator but the only UV die i find is minor around the thermostat housing, and the engine oil is now glowing under UV light

My diagnostic is that the head gasket is failing "slowly", does everyone agree with that ?

i found this link teaching how to do the job
http://www.lotuselancentral.com/repair/ ... Change.pdf

i also have the manuals to look at to help with the task.

Assuming most people agrees with the diagnostic, I had a look at SJs website for a replacement head gasket and all i can find was a head gasket set that has a "steve's own" product code SJ100E0008 (ive noticed lotus parts are A and B prefixed and steve's alternatives are SJ prefixed)
I currently have a set from rockauto of timing belt and water pump in the shed ready to go in, im thinking all im missing is this head gasket set and i would be ready for the job.

so, asking for help if there is other alternative HG sets that are equality reliable as SJs ? or if i should just buy it there and move on. Ideally i would like to keep the elan running through the winter as its been like that every since i bought it :)
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: likely Head Gasket Failure, what else to do while there?

Postby roy666 » Sun 12.11.2017, 19:38

Hi Tuga - I had a HGF a couple of months ago. Are you a member of the AA? To get a really good check and a total unbiased opnion I called for a road side check. The guy had the standard water coolant sniffer system. Clamped it onto the top of the header tank and let the engine run on, with a couple of high extended revs just to be sure. The fluid in his sniffer changed colour. Most garages have this sort of kit... but AA is always a quick cheap option. M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Sun 12.11.2017, 22:47

Buy a HG from SJs as they are genuine Isuzu Lotus. Other gaskets are apparently copied from NA engines so are a little different, meaning it will fail again.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 15.11.2017, 20:56

bought the HG set from Steve, arrives tomorow, also booked friday off to get started early the job this weekend.

so... wish me luck
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Steve A » Wed 15.11.2017, 21:35

I hope it all goes smoothly, you don't need luck :D
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby simonbuk » Sat 16.12.2017, 09:27

So how has it gone ? What did you find ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 17.12.2017, 00:31

simonbuk wrote:So how has it gone ? What did you find ?

I was planning on following thisguide for the job. but when started reading in further detail the workshop manual before having a go and decided to postpone the job.

This is one of those that needs more preparation than i initially expected, as im going to change the belts as well and will probably need more than a long weekend... or theres the alternative of getting tired of waiting and handing it out to the garage. but for the moment my mind is set into doing the job miself, even tho its a bit out of my comfort zone
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Return to Engine