Lack of servicing

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Lack of servicing

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 09.02.2018, 17:57

Pretty sure IB10 was used as a 'development mule' for the S2 and is a bit unique with Closed Loop & lambda sensor in turbo... (not sure about cat ' - but easy enough to inspect to check,) and I think opera-glass headlights as it was SE development too . Did Clemo point that out?
SE & S2 servicing same anyway (as Giniw has said) so every 6 months - bet you don't hit 6k miles first..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Giniw » Fri 09.02.2018, 18:06

As for the oil change every six months, why does it need that even if the oil is in its sump? It may be a turbo-charged car but if the oil is in the sump and the car in a garage most of the time, it makes little difference to the rest of the oil kept in its original bottle, doesn't it?
Giniw
God

Postby John_W » Fri 09.02.2018, 18:49

:agree:
My oil and filter gets changed once a year, which is usuallt about 3,500 miles. This year it’s 5,000.
:-D :burnout:
John_W
Philistine

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 09.02.2018, 19:09

Would that be a comment applicable for the general servicing guidelines rather than just the oil?

Why do they stipulate "6,000 or 6 months, whichever the sooner." perhaps to give their franchises something to do? :-D
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Fri 09.02.2018, 19:29

Justin,
I think that you should do what you’re comfortable with.

My car gets serviced as a “second car” (well, fourth actually) which sees summer use and not as much as I would like. This is a completely different situation from a car which was bought and used as a main daily driver in 1991; in that case Lotus’s service schedule is entirely appropriate.

In the 1970s I ran a sports car whose service interval was 3,000 miles. It was my only car and I covered over 20,000 miles a year. It was in the service centre every couple of months and cost me a lot. If I still owned the same car I would be using it in a completely different way and would adjust the servicing accordingly.

John
John_W
Philistine

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 09.02.2018, 20:00

Hi John,

Dont worry about me. I know what I'm doing with my car and money :-D

What was the 70's car?

Regards

Justin
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Fri 09.02.2018, 20:30

Jensen-Healey. The best car I’ve owned - or maybe it was just the right car at the right age. Lotus engine, phenomenal acceleration, rear-wheel drive, enough power to persuade the tail out on demand, great driving position with bum 6” from the ground and the sound of dual twin-choke Dellortos sucking petrol at 25mpg. I’ve had three.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
John_W
Philistine

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 09.02.2018, 20:32

lotusflasherman wrote:Pretty sure IB10 was used as a 'development mule' for the S2 and is a bit unique with Closed Loop & lambda sensor in turbo... (not sure about cat ' - but easy enough to inspect to check,) and I think opera-glass headlights as it was SE development too . Did Clemo point that out?
SE & S2 servicing same anyway (as Giniw has said) so every 6 months - bet you don't hit 6k miles first..

This is what I know, all done at the factory:
- Has closed loop, cat and Fed Evap system
- Seats were recovered in fed grey leather perforated style
- wheels & hood S2.
- IB10 has no map pocket
- engine was also changed at the factory between 89-96.
- lights are not opera, were originally but changed over by first owner.
- The springs were the higher Fed ones but prev owner (Dave N) changed to UK (I have the fed springs).
- There are loads of little different bits too that Clemo and/or Dave N pointed out. from Gasoline written on the petrol flap, different bonnet stays, smooth wheel liners and smooth parts on the dash binnacle...the list goes on.

There are lots of rumour and guesses as to what the car was used for. Its quite hard to prove when Lotus/GM binned all the info on the vehicle (apart from the basics), vehicle wasn't registered until 96 (so you cant just match vehicle reg to photos) and the vehicle has had loads of the S2 changes done.

Rumours include:
- Was this the car documented in Mark Hughes book which was passed to John Miles and Roger Becker which underwent testing in the US to develop the suspension and Emissions. Book states early pilot car so almost certainly IB10 and why kept by Lotus cars. It would explain the Fed parts too
• Was this the car which was shown at Cobo Autoshow in Detroit as this was a Silver RHD car, this car was built to press standards and dates fall inline perfectly with US testing.
• Was IB10 used to develop the S2 styling and domestic market closed loop system? Again almost certainly and another reason kept by Lotus cars.
- Was stolen by a disgruntled Lotus employee who hadn't been paid.

Dave N did a great job at creating a very comprehensive file of info and photos, from his chats and emails to prev owners, Andy at Lotus and Dave Speck. :D Really quite fascinating.

Justin.
Last edited by JusNoGood on Sat 10.02.2018, 08:33, edited 5 times in total.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 09.02.2018, 20:33

John_W wrote:Jensen-Healey. The best car I’ve owned - or maybe it was just the right car at the right age. Lotus engine, phenomenal acceleration, rear-wheel drive, enough power to persuade the tail out on demand, great driving position with bum 6” from the ground and the sound of dual twin-choke Dellortos sucking petrol at 25mpg. I’ve had three.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:bowdown:

Wow stunning car. One of my all time favs.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Fri 09.02.2018, 22:09

lotusflasherman wrote:From an independent viewpoint, I think you are at cross purposes over words :lol: ... did you mean service the turbo (turbocharger) or Turbo (SE Model)? ...
Both right:
Rambo is correct that there is no service interval for the turbocharger...
You are right that the SE service interval is 6 months or 6,000 miles.
(A lot of owners here use NA, SE & S2 to identify models)

I see now... :oops:

Eats, shoots and leaves

Or is it eats shoots and leaves :lol:

PS i have always had my M100's serviced once a year, irrespective of mileage. This is usually under 3000 miles as this is my insured maximum. I also change my brake fluid and anti freeze every 2 years. Plus the cam belt and associated parts ie tensioner, water pump, idlers etc at recommended intervals. And guess what ? Never ever had any HGF, cam belt failure, engine failure, turbo blow up or brake failure. A good servicing strategy always yields results long term
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby clemo » Fri 09.02.2018, 23:15

lotusflasherman wrote:Pretty sure IB10 was used as a 'development mule' for the S2 and is a bit unique with Closed Loop & lambda sensor in turbo... (not sure about cat ' - but easy enough to inspect to check,) and I think opera-glass headlights as it was SE development too . Did Clemo point that out?

yep .. i was on full nerd alert .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Giniw » Sat 10.02.2018, 00:12

Do we know where these silver frost opera glasses are now? :poke:
Giniw
God

Previous

Return to Engine