Where to get a new CAS ??

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Where to get a new CAS ??

Postby simonbuk » Thu 19.07.2018, 13:31

Apparantly you cannot buy these anymore I seem to remember - so what do we do when it breaks ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Where to get a new CAS ??

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 19.07.2018, 13:52

They rarely "BREAK"

The Hall Effect sensor has been known to fail, but they are still available as a replacement part. WARNING: the plug connection is different and it requires you to change the harness end connector.

I have seen a few where the shaft has broken where the drive is held on via the pin.

If anyone is convinced their CAS is not working right and beyond repair, I have a couple new ones that I will sell on an exchange basis.

Of course, Lotus still have them as well.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Thu 19.07.2018, 14:20

So when they become noisey, whats the cause of this ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 19.07.2018, 14:33

Noisy often means something is dragging on the timing wheel. There is a magnetic component in the "Crank Position" part of the CAS and it will make a clicking sound and feel if you are rotation in in your hand.

A bad bearing will also make noise.

Often, a pronounced click is the dog drive pin wallowing in an enlarged hole. The issue is always "what caused it to wallow".

Mark the position of the CAS on the head, remove it and check by holding the upper "wheel" and gently rotate the drive dog back and forth and see what is moving.

If the crank angle sensor or hall effect sensor are mal-adjusted, they will cause a "ticking sound.

If the thru pin at the dog drive is bad, replace it. If the hole in the shaft or dog drive is damaged, have a local machinist replace the pin with a larger one so the noise is gone. You need a machinist because the shaft is hardened and you can't just drill to the next size.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Engine