ElanScan file format

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

ElanScan file format

Postby Giniw » Wed 29.06.2016, 17:49

Hello Everyone,
Lately I have reversed the ElanScan file format; most bytes were not too hard to guess but I am puzzled about the last 4 bytes I don't know: offset 4 to 7 (first byte being at offset 0), which is to say the second four bytes integer (?) which value seems always equals to 1.
As the following bytes are about the comment, I wonder whether it could be related to it and just be a sizeof(char) of something like that but that is just a wild guess (it could be a file format version too, or just about anything :lol: )
Of course I may ignore that value but when I change it to anything other than 1 Elanscan is crashing, so it is actually used.
Any hint would be much appreciated :wink:
Thanks in advance!!
Giniw
Fanatic

Re: ElanScan file format

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 30.11.2016, 18:15

Quick check of my notes Julien:

Header is 273 bytes:-
0x0000-0x0003: Data size (bytes)
0x0004: Always 0x01 and used by ES
0x010A: Always 0x47?

To help with my hardware development etc., I also save raw data (minus the 273 byte header) and use .est (ElanScan Turbo).

I keep meaning to ask ESM about the 5th byte as I foresee it being useful if, for example, sat nav coordinate data is tagged onto the end of each row it could be set to 0x02.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Giniw » Wed 30.11.2016, 19:02

GeoffSmith wrote:0x0004: Always 0x01 and used by ES
Thank you, so at least your observations are the same than mines.

To help with my hardware development etc., I also save raw data (minus the 273 byte header) and use .est (ElanScan Turbo).
Would you need a .est import/export too? I can add that to my todo list.

I keep meaning to ask ESM about the 5th byte as I foresee it being useful if, for example, sat nav coordinate data is tagged onto the end of each row it could be set to 0x02.
Maybe, it's hard to guess :/
Actually my last attempt was to look at the ElanScan file opening routine disassembly but it's not that easy for me :bonk:

PS: as for 0x010A I don't remember but I probably found what it is used for because I only missed that 1 integer.
I will tell you what I think it is when I have my notes.
Giniw
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Sat 03.12.2016, 01:21

GeoffSmith wrote:0x010A: Always 0x47?

Giniw wrote:PS: as for 0x010A I don't remember but I probably found what it is used for because I only missed that 1 integer.
I will tell you what I think it is when I have my notes.
I just had a look in my notes and 0x47 is (?) the size of one "packet" stored by ElanScan (the data from the ECU minus the header and checksum, plus the timestamp)
So indeed it's probably a constant in a given version of ElanScan.
Giniw
Fanatic

Return to ElanScan