Introducing ElanLogger

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Introducing ElanLogger

Postby tigerdog » Fri 14.07.2017, 02:24

Brilliant bit of kit! It's wonderful to see someone with the "Newbie" label by their name, immediately contributing such a cool project. Kudos for upholding the longstanding tradition of innovative engineering that brought me to LEC, oh so many years ago. :cheers:
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby matts1972 » Tue 18.07.2017, 20:41

Just edited and replaced the Arduino software in my original posting with version 1.1
This adds some visual indication by flashing the builtin LED of the Arduino board in one second intervals after the log file has successfully been written and closed.
Errors will flash quickly 5 times per second instead.
So while you are driving and nothing is flashing you can feel reassured that ElanLogger is still happily logging.
Cheers
Matthias

PS: to see the LED in Ken's ElanLogger box you will have to drill a hole in it.
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby lotusrepair » Tue 15.08.2017, 02:18

Has anyone offered to produce and sell these? I would buy one.
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby matts1972 » Tue 15.08.2017, 07:44

It is really an easy project to build one. An oil change on our cars is more challenging (at least for me :-D ). But of course, you have to invest a few hours to get the parts and put everything together. Also, while I love Ken's 3d printed box, it is rather costly (especially if you do not have a printer). So to build solid ElanLoggers in mass production, a few challenges remain.
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby CalElan » Wed 25.10.2017, 20:58

this is brilliant -- I have a ton of portable apple devices, but my one PC is a HUGE tower sat in the office.. this solves my problem...
Thanks Guys!
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Thu 26.10.2017, 08:21

Finally a valid reason to buy me an Arduino board 8)
Super gemacht, vielen dank! :D

Let's order parts now.
Thanks for the housing as well Ken!
:burnout:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby matts1972 » Sun 29.10.2017, 06:24

Would love to hear from you when you built one and how it worked out.
This will hopefully encourage more members to go for it.
Thanks for all your feedback so far.
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby HJ2 » Sun 29.10.2017, 09:19

Will do :D
I hope this will go faster than BCN's shift cable review :cry:

Edit:
Parts are now ordered, I hope that any P3 will do (as I ordered somewhere else, and that I not run into software problems!
This will be my first raspberry experience, and I am not afraid of hardware, but software.... :smt017
This will be a painfull but educational experience i guess :lol:
HJ2
God

Postby matts1972 » Sun 29.10.2017, 18:41

HJ2 wrote:Parts are now ordered, I hope that any P3 will do (as I ordered somewhere else, and that I not run into software problems!

Alert! Raspberry does not equal Arduino. While Raspberry is a micro-computer running linux, Arduino is an old fashioned micro controller.
Long story short, do not order a raspberry pi (or undo while you can).
Please get an Arduino Uno R3 (yes, any should do).
Do not get a Raspberry Pi (none will do).
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby RonR » Wed 01.11.2017, 17:52

Many thanks for coming up with this Matt,

I used a metal case meant for an Arduino Mega, which gives some room for extra circuitry and connectors at the rear. On the left is the 'Paperclip' switch.

IMG_20171101_small.jpg

A note for other builders:
I used the prototyping area on the logger board to build the ALDL interface circuit so it's hard wired to the Tx and Rx pins. However after doing this I got the error - "Avrdude Stk500_getsync(): Not in Sync Resp=0x30" when uploading the sketch - This error can sometimes appear when something is connected to the Arduino Rx pin. Unplugging the logger board allowed me to upload successfully.

A more permanent solution would be to use a dual pole power switch, the second pole could be used to connect the Rx pin when switching on the +V from the ECM. The switch can be off when connected to a PC as the Arduino is powered from the PCs USB port.

A few ideas for further development:
A small remote display providing a selection of Elanscan data every 2 seconds or so. (Display ordered - project for winter)
Powering the logger from an ignition switched source, then either:
a. Use a push button to start or stop logging.
Or b. Extract the "Engine Running" flag from the ECM data and log every journey automatically.

Cheers,
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonR

Postby matts1972 » Sat 04.11.2017, 12:32

RonR wrote:A few ideas for further development:
A small remote display providing a selection of Elanscan data every 2 seconds or so. (Display ordered - project for winter)
Powering the logger from an ignition switched source, then either:
a. Use a push button to start or stop logging.
Or b. Extract the "Engine Running" flag from the ECM data and log every journey automatically.

That's the spirit :D
I also have thought about logging every journey. A 2GB sdcard is big enough for years of ownership. You would 'only' have to solve the issue of not draining too much battery power while parked.
Cheers,
Matt
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby RonR » Sat 25.11.2017, 19:23

A quick update on mods to this project:

1. Transistor buffer interface between ECM and Arduino - I'm currently testing this, it puts less load on the Arduino's RXD and TXD pins, so allows sketches to be uploaded whilst connected. Just 4 transistors and 6 resistors in the circuit.

2. Permanent Connection - Possible using a feed from the ignition switch, a Relay and a turn-off delay circuit to enable the logger SD Card file header to be written and the .ecu file to be closed before losing power. According to LTSpice there should be a battery drain measured in micro-amps when the Ignition is switched off:

Relay-Delay-LTSpice-sm.jpg

3. Information Display - First tests of the 2.2 inch screen look promising, but I still have to work out how to extract the data coming in from the ECM:

Display-Test2.jpg

Cheers,
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonR

Postby John_W » Sat 25.11.2017, 21:16

Wow!
No idea what you guys are going on about, but keep it up chaps, and tell us all when it’s finished.
:mrgreen:
John_W
Philistine

Postby HJ2 » Sat 25.11.2017, 21:35

I love it!
Still waiting for my (correct) parts ... :roll:
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Sun 26.11.2017, 00:22

RonR wrote:3. Information Display - First tests of the 2.2 inch screen look promising, but I still have to work out how to extract the data coming in from the ECM
It's not very hard, the info can be read easily in the elan scan ini file =)
=> data offset, data size (byte or short mostly), signed/unsigned, formulae to display human readable value (if I remember correctly its only a addition and a multiplication)
Giniw
God

Postby Fetnas » Wed 06.12.2017, 12:22

This is AWESOME!
I've been thinking about trying to do something like this myself but the learning curve just seemed too steep with my very limited programming ability. I can get an Ardunio light to flash and have it print "Hello World", but that as far as I've progressed.
I will defiantly be putting one of these together and look forward to seeing the further development.

LEC is the BEST car forum out there! Brilliant work Matts1972 :clap:

:bowdown:
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to ElanScan