Introducing ElanLogger

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Re: Introducing ElanLogger

Postby Bern » Fri 19.01.2018, 16:20

Looking at the code I can see there's a comment about changing the SERIAL_RX_BUFFER_SIZE, I hadn't done that, so I will and try it again.

Though I'm supposed to be working at the moment, so I'll have to try it later!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 Land Rover Discovery TD5
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby matts1972 » Fri 19.01.2018, 16:30

Bern wrote:Looking at the code I can see there's a comment about changing the SERIAL_RX_BUFFER_SIZE, I hadn't done that, so I will and try it again.

Though I'm supposed to be working at the moment, so I'll have to try it later!

Hi Bern,
Yes, you need to change the buffer size. However, you typically would get an "empty" .ecu-file like this if there is not data received on the interface.
ElanLogger closes the file as soon as it does not hear from your car for 3 seconds. So ignition needs to be on before turning on Elanlogger, or else Elanlogger will listen for 3 seconds and then close the .ecu-file that contains nothing but a mostly empty header.
Best regards
Matthias
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby Bern » Fri 19.01.2018, 16:42

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the reply :-)

I did have the ignition on before turning the logger on, but the engine wasn't running - I started the engine whilst the logger was on - would that make a difference?

I'll try it again tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bern.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby matts1972 » Fri 19.01.2018, 17:00

Bern wrote:Hi Matthias,

I did have the ignition on before turning the logger on, but the engine wasn't running - I started the engine whilst the logger was on - would that make a difference?

Cheers,

Bern.

Ignition-on will keep the interface talking - so you did the right thing.
There seems to be a connectivity-issue, then. Make sure everything is connected properly. The diode is for protection only, but the two 100 ohm resistors are required to get data.

However, you probably should sort out the buffer-issue first. The small buffer might in fact result in invalid packets - having the same effect as no packets at all. Hence this might be the only issue, after all.
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 19.01.2018, 18:18

Bern wrote:Hi Matthias,

Cheers,

Bern.

Another possibility: When you crank the engine, the battery voltage drops and dependent on how the Arduino supply is regulated will determine whether it continues to run until the engine starts. I originally had this problem with my Bluetooth interface (which, having software involved took forever to re-establish itself) so I designed a robust two stage regulator circuit that maintains the BT supply for a lot longer then I'd care to crank the car and the BT connection is maintained throughout.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Giniw » Fri 19.01.2018, 18:49

(Talking about that, the Elan is the only car I know that let the radio on when cranking almost every time!)
Giniw
God

Postby Bern » Fri 19.01.2018, 19:42

Another possibility: When you crank the engine, the battery voltage drops and dependent on how the Arduino supply is regulated will determine whether it continues to run until the engine starts. I originally had this problem with my Bluetooth interface (which, having software involved took forever to re-establish itself) so I designed a robust two stage regulator circuit that maintains the BT supply for a lot longer then I'd care to crank the car and the BT connection is maintained throughout.

That's what I was thinking, next time I'll try it both ways!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby Bern » Tue 30.01.2018, 21:12

Finally found time to sort this out!

Not sure what the issue was, I re-arranged some of the program and got it to create a debug file, but then it started working anyway!

But could it be any coincidence that I tried it out on Sunday, no errors, then 20 miles into a 100 mile journey yesterday I got the engine management warning light coming on occasionally?

At least I could diagnose the problem when I got home - CAS sensor. I've ordered a new one along with a new oil seal - I know how to change that after seeing it done at Castle Coombe last year :-)

Thanks again Matt, a very useful tool!

Cheers,

Bern.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby matts1972 » Wed 31.01.2018, 10:28

Bern wrote:Finally found time to sort this out!
Not sure what the issue was, I re-arranged some of the program and got it to create a debug file, but then it started working anyway!

It is good to read that you got it to work, Bern. Thanks for the feedback.

Some additional tips for trouble shooting (someone might find those handy in the future):
  • It is good practice to start the car first and then to switch on ElanLogger (because of the voltage drop while starting the engine, as discussed earlier in this thread).
  • the built-in LED ("L") on the Arduino board should then stay off (or go off within a second or two). This is a sign that all is good and ElanLogger is receiving data - the LED will stay off until the ignition is turned off.
  • Should instead the LED start blinking (either slowly or fast) this means that ElanLogger has stopped receiving data (or never got data) or that there is another problem (fast blinking). This will not recover - you need to start over (and fix the issue first).

Cheers
Matt
matts1972
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to ElanScan