Starting To Sort Out The Niggles

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, algirdas, Sy V, clemo, nitroman, Dave Eds, Specky, GeoffSmith

Starting To Sort Out The Niggles

Postby Simon_P » Thu 04.04.2019, 11:13

Hi All,
I've rebuilt my elanscan cable and connected the Blue Car.

Went for a short drive from cold, mostly to try and identify the cause of the hesitation when cold a few hundred yards up the road from home, which happened on the attached scan at about 92 seconds.
Notice the IAC at 92 seconds and also see Flags 12 EGR and MAT - Any ideas?

Also the Knock counter, but no knock retard. Anyone seen this before? I'll check that it is plugged in for starters.

And
Flags 48 Stalled

Everest Chip if that makes any difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon_P
God

Re: Starting To Sort Out The Niggles

Postby RonR » Tue 09.04.2019, 16:22

Simon,
Was this the first run after reconnecting the battery or ECU? Your IAC spike looks just like mine after I've had it disconnected.
The ECU needs to re-learn the position of the IAC after losing power, so when you first hit 30mph on part throttle it exercises the IAC to work out its correct position.
The closed loop manual says that "This process .... will not be noticed by the driver", so maybe it's a co-incidence that it occurs around the same time, or maybe there's a knock-on effect in some other system?

On the other hand the steadily climbing knock counter, even at idle looks suspicious. That's where I'd start looking, anyway.

Cheers,
Ron
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Tue 09.04.2019, 17:26

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the input.

The battery hasn't been disconnected and it does it regularly. Mind you the wiring has had some "adjustment". And I have another elan that does the same thing.

I think that you could be on to something though. Now you mention it, it regularly occurs on light throttle in a 30mph zone probably the first time I hit 30mph. Please could point me to the right manual/pages. I'm going to see if I can recreate it by disconnecting the battery.

I did find one of the vac pipes disconnected and another melted on the EGR pipe so have reconnected them and will reset Idle again first.

it took me 3 hours to get the oil filter off yesterday so I didn't get much else done.
Simon_P
God

Postby RonR » Tue 09.04.2019, 21:25

Your blue car is an S2 IIRC, so info comes from page 18-19 of the Closed Loop Manual V6 (Section EMJ) - courtesy of John (Brit-Car-Nut).
To save you a few clicks, Here's a direct link to it

BTW I got thoroughly hacked off with the oil filter last time I took one off, so fitted a K&N HP-1004 filter which has a hex protrusion - supposedly it means you can undo the filter with a spanner.
Guess I'll find out when the next oil change comes up in a few weeks.
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Fri 19.04.2019, 01:17

Hi Ron,
I don't have a problem with the filter if it was me that did it up. Also the genuine Lotus ones have (or used to) a different seal, not solid, which was much easier to undo.

I tried the blue car and just as you suggested, as I hit 30mph it did it. Then I went home and took the front suspension off and the dashboard out.

I put the Green car on the road and that also does it. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for a while, so knowing what causes the symptoms is a great help, thank you.
Simon_P
God

Return to ElanScan