Poor Starting

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Poor Starting

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed 18.11.2020, 15:41

roughstart.zip
I have a problem with poor starting on my SE. Will not settle to a regular tickover and cuts out. Works perfectly once warmed up. Changed the CTS before and that sorted out a previous 4000 rpm cut out, now have a fresh problem!
I did a scan from cold which I enclose (or will try to). Do any of you have any advice for me? (please)
Dave T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Thomas

Re: Poor Starting

Postby Simon_P » Wed 18.11.2020, 19:55

Check for vacuum leaks.
Check base timing and idle.
Reset ecu.
Simon_P
God

Postby Simon_P » Mon 23.11.2020, 00:24

Looking at your scan there seems to be a bit of a problem between 100 and 200 seconds. The readings of several circuits seem to go a bit haywire - check the earth connections, particularly the ones on the end of the plenum, and also the security of the plugs in the engine bay particularly the two by the header tank.

If you do another scan try not to touch the accelerator - just let it die and restart - when you press the accelerator you lose all sense of what is making it die and what is keeping it going. ie At 40 s it died and there are some odd readings as well as some sensible ones is that because you put your foot on the gas? or is that one of the odd readings?

Your TPS voltage is too low and doesn't match the throttle % and you are doing 1.5 mph for a few miliseconds even though you are out of gear - there is a bad connection somewhere!
Simon_P
God

Postby Dave Thomas » Fri 27.11.2020, 12:14

Thank you Simon
Lots for me to work on there. I was using the throttle to keep it going /stop it stalling. I noted the 'haywire' bit and will check connections. It is strange that it works perfectly once warm. The other thing I wondered is if the engine management system somehow does not remember settings as I have been in the habit of using the battery isolator regularly to save the battery as well as an antitheft device. When starting again it may have to recalibrate.
Thanks again
BW
Dave
Dave Thomas

Postby Simon_P » Fri 27.11.2020, 12:42

The isolator will make the ecu forget the learnt values but that is unlikely to be a factor as it will use default values. The isolator switch itself could be the cause of a poor connection though.
Simon_P
God

Return to ElanScan