New to Lotus and Elanscan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

New to Lotus and Elanscan

Postby Richmmm » Thu 25.11.2021, 09:39

New owner here, my lotus has just failed the MOT on high CO levels. Whilst finding the info about adjusting the pot, I have tried Elanscan to see if it can tell me anything about the CO level. I have recorded a short journey starting from cold this morning, which I have attacherd here.

The only thing I am worried about is the parameter called CO pot / Oxygen sensor, which on has a lot of noise on it. My car is a SE with open loop control, so what is this parameter measuring? The CO Adjust pot voltage, or something else?

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richmmm

Re: New to Lotus and Elanscan

Postby Neil.G » Thu 25.11.2021, 11:25

Morning,
Unsure about your elan scan results but I've found the mem-cal chip in the ecu needs to be changed. It's an easy enough job, my open loop elan se now happily sits at 2.9% when a pass is 3.5%. If you search for my post using mem-cal in the search box you should find it. You should also confirm your timing is correct along with good plugs leads and decent fuel as part of the mix. I believe elan scan can tell you which ecu/mem-cal is fitted. Should show as 9930, if 9929 it's the old spec and will be high emissions failure.
That should get you started.
Thanks,
N
Neil.G

Postby Richmmm » Thu 25.11.2021, 11:59

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions: By MEMCAL do people mean the PROM or EPROM fitted in the ECU? I think Elancan reports mine as Prom id 9929.

Does anyone know which type of Prom is fitted as I have a few lying around at home and can program up a new one.

Regards, Rich
Richmmm

Postby Richmmm » Thu 25.11.2021, 12:20

OK, I have just done a search for pictures of the ECU and the MEMCAL, it looks like the MEMCAL is a plug in card for the ECU. I guess there is a EPROM inside the plugin unit which contains the 9929 9930 program?
Richmmm

Postby Fredjohn » Thu 25.11.2021, 12:31

MEMCAL Eprom chip etc etc all the same. If elanscan reports 9929, then that is what you have. The 9930 is a later Lotus upgraded version of 9929 and will give lower CO readings. Make sure the MOT station is using 3.5 as the test limit.
Also ensure the engine is thoroughly warmed up before testing. Ideally, cycle the cooling fans on and off a couple of times.
However, if you are able to "programme up" a new memcal, why not go for the 1499 and fit an O² sensor to go closed loop? Your readings, if like mine, will drop from over 3 to below 1.
Loads of info on CO pot, CO adjustment, closed loop etc on wikilec. Also read about the various memcals on the Mountain Chips tab at top.
PS just read your latest post. Yes it is plug in and does contain the relevant programme.
Hope this helps.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Neil.G » Fri 26.11.2021, 08:43

Richmmm wrote:OK, I have just done a search for pictures of the ECU and the MEMCAL, it looks like the MEMCAL is a plug in card for the ECU. I guess there is a EPROM inside the plugin unit which contains the 9929 9930 program?

Morning,
The 9929 is what I had to swap out for a 9930. it basically opens up the window of adjustment on the Co potentiometer. If you have the means to programme a new chip then you can save yourself some money. I had mine through Sjsportscars, there's a refundable £100 surcharge to pay unless you can do without yours for about 10 days in which case it's about £70.

Good luck
Neil.
Neil.G

Return to ElanScan