**** FTDI DRIVERS WARNING ****

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

**** FTDI DRIVERS WARNING ****

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 23.10.2014, 19:10

A warning for anyone who has an FTDI clone ElanScan interface: the latest driver release from Microsoft appears to brick cloned FTDI chips i.e. if a clone is detected then its product ID is reset making it unusable with any past or present MS certified FTDI drivers.

Although the interfaces that I produce aren't the cheapest, I can guarantee that they all use FTDI chips, either bought direct from the manufacturer or through a reputable distributor (Farnell).

Thanks to Saska for bringing this to my attention.

PS Here is an interesting article looking at the hardware.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Re: **** FTDI DRIVERS WARNING ****

Postby ROBERTKatz » Sat 13.12.2014, 17:26

GEOFF
I WOULD LIKE TO ORDER A USB INTERFACE CABLE FROM YOU. COULD YOU SEND ME INFORMATION ON HOW TO DO THAT?
THANKS
BOB KATZ
ROBERTKatz

Postby HJ2 » Sat 13.12.2014, 19:34

Whoops!

Can they do that? (legally I mean...)
I am glad I have the one and only original! :P
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 13.12.2014, 19:49

They are just changing the contents of the non-volatile configuration registers which identify the manufacturer and product and unfortunately that renders them inoperable with the genuine manufacturer's driver. If the second source manufactures had not pirated the FTDI VID & PID and developed their own drivers, there wouldn't be a problem.

I see that FTDI have pulled the disabling drivers but have vowed to fight the blatant piracy - good on them.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Ian T » Sat 13.12.2014, 21:46

Yes, good on them. The point about 'work alike' chips is an interesting one, but pin compatible knock-offs aren't on.

Obviously they have more code in the real ones than the copiers found so FTDI could manage to detect real ones as distinct from fakes. Sadly this is pretty much rife among car interfaces and the level of assurance we might feel has been provided with genuine products not to brick or damage our (more modern than the M100) cars just isn't there with the clones. I still hear lots of stories about fake Tech2 software, fake OpCom and others that don't programme ECUs correctly resulting in all sorts of silly faults.

Will have to watch how this story develops - hope they succeed. :)

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Return to ElanScan