Elanscan on YouTube

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Elanscan on YouTube

Postby alan e » Fri 28.10.2016, 18:28

Our YouTube friend has a new video about making a interface cable and loading elanscan
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Re: Elanscan on YouTube

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 28.10.2016, 19:36

A few points:

You can see from the video that he's dropping data points left right and centre because he hasn't set the latency to 1ms: It needs to be set to 1ms to get reliable data.

The TX output is directly connected to the ECU output and there is a risk of damaging the ECU output drive if the timing is just wrong (ES driving high as the ECU tries to drive low) for instance if the latency is not 1ms and the data streams get out of sync. The very early interfaces were configured like this (not mine I hasten to add) but I'm sure ESM's were and I have come across 3 ECUs which will not communicate and suspect the interface has been the cause.

At that price, the 'FTDI' boards aren't FTDI. They are cheap Chinese knock offs and there may be issues.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Giniw » Fri 28.10.2016, 19:51

GeoffSmith wrote:The TX output is directly connected to the ECU output and there is a risk of damaging the ECU output drive if the timing is just wrong (ES driving high as the ECU tries to drive low) for instance if the latency is not 1ms and the data streams get out of sync. The very early interfaces were configured like this (not mine I hasten to add) but I'm sure ESM's were and I have come across 3 ECUs which will not communicate and suspect the interface has been the cause.
:agree:
The problem is that there is that old web documentation which states it's OK to connect it like that. It is interesting but there should be a warning :/
(thank you for pointing that out to me in a previous topic ^^)
Giniw
God

Postby 1kenobitoby » Sat 29.10.2016, 13:10

Although to be fair Geoff, I do talk about the latency timer issue and point people to buying yours if they are unsure about making their own. I will caption the video to make it clearer that a 1ms latency is recommended.
1kenobitoby
3DprintGuru

Return to ElanScan