Error message when installing drivers

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Error message when installing drivers

Postby Mike T » Fri 28.10.2016, 19:17

I finally got around to installing my Elanscan cable I bought from Geoff Smith last year but am having a problem installing the second driver. I downloaded the drivers from the link on Geoff's site, unzipped the file and saved to Downloads. Plugged the cable in, opened Device Manager and browsed for the correct driver location. The first driver downloaded correctly, but when repeating the process for the second driver, I received the following error message:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it - USB Serial Port - The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software".

Is this likely to be a problem with the cable, the drivers downloaded, or my PC settings perhaps? I've added a couple of screen shots. Any help would be greatly appreciated for an IT novice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike T

Re: Error message when installing drivers

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 28.10.2016, 19:46

FTDI/Microsoft may have tightened up on the drivers following the illegal cloning. In an attempt to make things easier for people, I tweaked the FTDI drivers to automatically set the latency to 1ms when they were installed but this may be a problem now and it's not worth going through the nausea of registering. There is some more information here and the best thing would be to follow the excellent video from 9m 19s THEN SET THE LATENCY TO 1MS!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Re: Error message when installing drivers

Postby Mike T » Sat 29.10.2016, 13:56

Thanks for the advice Geoff. I downloaded the drivers from the website mentioned in the video and reset the latency to 1. All seemed fine on Device Manager but now I am getting a "No frame start byte received - No reply" error when using Elanscan, which according to the Wiki suggests the wrong latency setting. Have given up for now and gone for a nice drive in the autumn sunshine instead! I may try uninstalling everything and start again, but any other advice would be gratefully received.
Mike T

Return to ElanScan