Nearside front sidelight

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Nearside front sidelight

Postby woody » Mon 20.03.2017, 11:43

Having a persistent problem with Front nearside sidelight.
Coming up to MOT time so need to sort it, as it is a persistent problem, and up to now the Tester has let me off, but his patience is running thin.
Keep changing the bulb, but it continues to keep failing.
Any advice ?
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Re: Nearside front sidelight

Postby Steve A » Mon 20.03.2017, 12:23

If it's the bulb that keeps blowing/braking then vibration could be the culprit
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 20.03.2017, 12:59

Change to LED's. It's a 'brighter white' (more blue'ish than orange) so you'll have to do both or it will look odd.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby simonbuk » Mon 20.03.2017, 15:27

Are there some LEDs that are a straight swap ?
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 20.03.2017, 17:39

Yes, mine were.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby woody » Mon 20.03.2017, 17:58

Phil,
Can you tell me what the LED's are, and where to get them.
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Mon 20.03.2017, 18:15

Bulbs are available widely on the internet and eBay. Complete sealed units (the better choice) are also available but slightly more expensive. A lot depends on what you have installed today. If they are the more modern versions with a replaceable bulb it gets easy. If they are the old sealed beams then you'll need to either buy a new shell (like an H4 housing) and an LED bulb to fit or go with a sealed unit (best option if you have to replace the housing too). Of course, you'll need to do that for both sides.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 20.03.2017, 19:06

Just go on ebay and enter " 5W capless LED" > Search and you'll get a load of choices. Look for something like this ...

capless 5w led.jpg

then choice is yours about quantity & price - cheap from China with a long delay, or higher price from UK and arrive next day. (Still probably made in China though .. :lol: ). Don't worry about paying extra for 'canbus error free' as we don't have a canbus, but make sure it's 5W equivalent , not instrument lighting LED's which are lower, and usally only have the front LED. '5W LED' won't consume 5W but it's the brightness that's equivalent.

Because it's a Light Emitting Diode it will only work one way, it blocks the current the other way, but it will fit in the holder either way. When fitting I leave the sidelights on push it gently in, pull it out and turn it round so it's lit, (why when it's an arbitrary 50/50 chance do I always try it the wrong way first time? :banghead: ); then push it GENTLY right into the holder. Be gentle as there's a thread on here about the bulb holder getting pushed out of the light unit when changing bulbs...

This is end result ...

led sidelight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 20.03.2017, 19:07

Elanlover wrote:Bulbs are available widely on the internet and eBay. Complete sealed units (the better choice) are also available but slightly more expensive. A lot depends on what you have installed today. If they are the more modern versions with a replaceable bulb it gets easy. If they are the old sealed beams then you'll need to either buy a new shell (like an H4 housing) and an LED bulb to fit or go with a sealed unit (best option if you have to replace the housing too). Of course, you'll need to do that for both sides.

I think you're :offtopic: We are on Sidelights, not headlights... :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Elanlover » Mon 20.03.2017, 19:34

Damnit. You're right. I am. :bonk: :banghead: I'm partial to this idea though....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elanlover

Postby woody » Tue 21.03.2017, 10:01

Thanks Phil,
Ordered some from China for 99p(5 x 2no) hopefully I will get them before MOT at end of April.
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Wed 22.03.2017, 14:54

lotusflasherman wrote:
Elanlover wrote:Bulbs are available widely on the internet and eBay. Complete sealed units (the better choice) are also available but slightly more expensive. A lot depends on what you have installed today. If they are the more modern versions with a replaceable bulb it gets easy. If they are the old sealed beams then you'll need to either buy a new shell (like an H4 housing) and an LED bulb to fit or go with a sealed unit (best option if you have to replace the housing too). Of course, you'll need to do that for both sides.

I think you're :offtopic: We are on Sidelights, not headlights... :lol:

Has anyone done headlights ?
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 22.03.2017, 17:17

clemo wrote: Has anyone done headlights ?

:offtopic: but ... Not LED but I've got HID dip and main now. Brilliant! Some say it can't or shouldn't be done ... but some still believe in Adam & Eve .. :burnout:

Ignore all the comments from the 'other side of the pond' as they drive on the wrong* side of the road so our dip lights and theirs not interchangeable. Japanese drive on the correct* side like us so Japanese cars are probably the best source of new lighting systems... but hardly anybody uses nice round lights anymore.

Link here about the Dip...HID Dip beams which does end up chatting about LED's.

* :lol: ..Quote "In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people. Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road."
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Elanlover » Wed 22.03.2017, 23:50

I'm just installing some now. A sealed beam unit (no LED bulb replacement) that's a knockoff of the JW Speaker units. I'm working on a bunch of stuff right now so it'll be a while before the car is on the road with them.
Elanlover

Postby woody » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:13

Problem sorted now, it was the top brass connector that had been squashed in.
Prised it open with a plastic knife, and re-inserted bulb.
LED bulbs did not work, so put back original bulbs, and both sides now working ok.
Disappointed with LED bulbs, but that is what you get for 99p from China.
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:26

Woody, I bought a packet of ten non-Chinese variants. They work like...........well they just work !!

Unfortunately I've just put my car down in my garage 60 miles away and I fly to Corfu on wednesday, will be there for 2 weeks minimum. If I'm back soon after and you still want a pair I'll send you some.

Thought I'd add a reply here so I can find the thread again !!
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby simonbuk » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:29

Thinking about it did you put the bulbs in the right way up ? One of mine was inserted wrong way so wouldn't work ?
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:47

led bulbs are polarity conscious :)
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:57

Why do I bother .... :banghead: - 20th March 19:06 --- >

"Because it's a Light Emitting Diode it will only work one way, it blocks the current the other way, but it will fit in the holder either way. When fitting I leave the sidelights on push it gently in, pull it out and turn it round so it's lit, (why when it's an arbitrary 50/50 chance do I always try it the wrong way first time? :banghead: ); then push it GENTLY right into the holder. Be gentle as there's a thread on here about the bulb holder getting pushed out of the light unit when changing bulbs..."
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby simonbuk » Mon 03.04.2017, 21:08

Sorry were your :banghead: directed at me ? I realised my bulb didn't work so turned it immediately and everything was cool with the world 8)
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Next

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.