electrical connectors in engine bay Fan and Pump controls

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

electrical connectors in engine bay Fan and Pump controls

Postby kevinrooney » Thu 13.04.2017, 11:07

as the warmer weather approaches i have realized that I have no cooling whatsoever ,
the electric fans do not cut in and nor does the pump when the engine is hot.
I suspect that the thermostat switch may be faulty . Is there a test for this ?

.ECCS or EGR vacuum solenoid valve . Not quite sure what these valves do . I only have one . Im not sure which is which and I have a bundle of connectors that are hanging loose in this area
2 loose blue plugs one of which joins the loom at the electrical water pump lead
2 white connectors one with red wires one with black wires
Are they connected to my lack of cooling ?

any Idea what these are for ?
kevinrooney

Re: electrical connectors in engine bay Fan and Pump contro

Postby kevinrooney » Thu 13.04.2017, 12:16

well having shorted out the temp switch both pump and fans work so it looks like a new swithc switch is required .
still it would be good to know what is missing on the car with respect to these connectors
kevinrooney

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 13.04.2017, 13:35

All new owners ask about spare connectors... think the usual answer is 'The loom is common to all models. The NA uses a distributor and the turbo models have a CAS, so all cars have a couple of unused connectors, which ones depends on the model.' Always had spares on my SE's so just ignore them.

The electric coolant pump should only work when the ignition is off but some idiots 'frig the wiring' so they can switch it on manually. It is designed to deal with EXTREME heat soak conditions when the car is parked so has a permanent battery feed to the pump relay. It circulates water through the head to stop local overheating when above 110°C BUT pumps in the reverse direction to normal so should NEVER be made to run when the engine is running.
I've only known that pump to run once in 22 years of owning Elans and that was in the south of France when ambient temp was over 35°C .... { :offtopic: also burnt my bum on the leather seats and Calypso Red Elan came back pink...}

Never known that pump to run in the UK. My cooling fans only kick in after being stationary for several minutes as well so not needed for normal driving but nice to have when in August Bank Holiday traffic queue..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Thu 13.04.2017, 17:13

kevinrooney wrote:still it would be good to know what is missing on the car with respect to these connectors

The white ones are for the A/C trianary switch and one of the Blue ones is for the Evaporative control for catalyst equipped cars
Simon_P
God

Postby kevinrooney » Thu 13.04.2017, 18:17

thanks for your replies .
its good to know that there are not bits missing .!
engine did get hot and push some boiling water out past one of the hose clips adjacent to the pump after I deliberately left it running for a while in idle .
Fans have never come on until I earthed out the lead to the temperature switch.
Im going to replace the fan temp switch for peace of mind summer and traffic congestion is not a good mix.
Just got to sort out the poor petrol consumption and limited boost suspect temperature sensor .

I think they all must have been fried at some stage .

thanks again for your help

Kevin.
kevinrooney

Postby dunnlor » Sat 15.04.2017, 17:57

In my case, the inconsistently working fans was due to a bad ground connection of the housing that the fan switch screws into. The housing is insulated from the block by a gasket and is grounded only by the two mounting bolts. With locktite or other materials on the bolts, the housing was not always a good ground.

I added a supplemental ground wire from the housing up to the intake plenum. Haven't had a problem since.

Tom
dunnlor
Enthusiast

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.