Left light motor repair

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Left light motor repair

Postby C3LOS » Sat 03.06.2017, 20:24

With the MOT due, I thought it best to get round to repairing the left light motor.
After getting the kit from Wayne (Elan M100), and watching there YouTube video (very very helpful), I finally got it sorted.
Sadly the quote "1-2 hours" was slightly wrong! Actually took me 4! The wheel arch liner bolts were so corroded, I ended up folding it out slightly to give me and arm size envelope to get my hand in. Obviously I got bruised and scratched all up my arm, but eventually got it out and then back in.
The 3 nylon gear bushes had disintegrated and looked like grated cheese, so got on and followed Tony's video greasing everything on reassembly.
Having got it all back together and reinstalling it into the car....(and 4 hours later) I tried the light switch............
They popped up in tandem, I thought excellent! Whoopee!
I then turned the lamps off but to my dismay, the left hand one stayed up! After many explitives, I found I hadn't tightened the 10mm bolt to the linkage...after tightening it, all was good.
If anyone needs help in changing these damn bushes, let me know and I can try to help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Re: Left light motor repair

Postby burble61 » Sun 04.06.2017, 13:00

Thanks for posting. My left hand side lamp has literally just failed, so I'll be living this dream soon too.....may be in touch !

regards

Burble
burble61

Postby simonbuk » Sun 04.06.2017, 14:16

Mine looked the same.........a bit more like demerara sugar though.
Simon - Black S2

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sun 04.06.2017, 16:39

My RH headlamp needs doing, and I've bought the kit. I'm trying to gee myself into action, knowing that if will be tricky.

Did you need to replace the gear wheel? My kit from SJ Sportscars didn't include one.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Sun 04.06.2017, 18:39

Rusty Wishbone wrote:My RH headlamp needs doing, and I've bought the kit. I'm trying to gee myself into action, knowing that if will be tricky.

Did you need to replace the gear wheel? My kit from SJ Sportscars didn't include one.

You won't need the gear wheel, just watch "the video" it will be all become clear after that. :D
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby C3LOS » Sun 04.06.2017, 22:34

Agree, the video is very clear and concise.
Personally the hardest thing is getting the wheel arch liner off (though I couldn't so took me a lot longer!)
Good luck everyone!
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Mon 05.06.2017, 22:09

Thanks for your replies.

The wheel arch liner should come off easily - I replaced the fixings a couple of years' ago.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby C3LOS » Tue 06.06.2017, 22:50

Good news...and the right one is easier than the left due to the worm gear position in the motor.
Check out you tube (https://youtu.be/OTjPoKfafSY).... good luck
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Wed 07.06.2017, 09:21

burble61 wrote:Thanks for posting. My left hand side lamp has literally just failed, so I'll be living this dream soon too.....may be in touch !

regards

Burble

You'd be better off doing both at the same time. After all, both sets of bushes will be about 25 years old and you know what happens if you only do one side !!

Sods Law :twisted:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby C3LOS » Wed 07.06.2017, 22:34

Yeah Sod's law, my right hand lamp was done last year by Pal Matty as part of a big list of jobs that needed doing including the head skim....shame they didn't do the left one too...
All done now though!
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby burble61 » Mon 19.06.2017, 15:15

Rambo wrote:
burble61 wrote:Thanks for posting. My left hand side lamp has literally just failed, so I'll be living this dream soon too.....may be in touch !

regards

Burble

You'd be better off doing both at the same time. After all, both sets of bushes will be about 25 years old and you know what happens if you only do one side !!

Sods Law :twisted:

Haha so right. Left hand side replaced (quicker to do the repair on the motor than the liner removal - but thats done now with new fixings installed...) first test, left hand side perfect, right hand side ....whirr click, droop. *ugger. Still at least I know what I have to do now!

B61
burble61

Postby C3LOS » Mon 19.06.2017, 22:22

Good luck!
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby burble61 » Fri 23.06.2017, 17:15

C3LOS wrote:Good luck!

Thanks! All sorted now, rising & falling in perfect synchronism.

Not a great fan of those low profile bolts on the wheel arch liner (which had corroded into low profile blobs of rust) or the self-tapper at the bottom rear of the liner. Think mine had been manufactured with some spare components from the race team, a unique combination of ultra-hard and highly corrodable screwed directly into fibreglass. Two hacksaw blades later....

Motors worked fine, if they play up again any time soon, might look further into using linear actuators although the control board would need to be replaced too.

Thanks for all the tips & pointers....

B61
burble61

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.