Toad alarm

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Toad alarm

Postby epipete » Fri 14.07.2017, 18:27

When I obtained my Elan some years back it came with a Toad alarm, one key fob and no code. It has an automatic locking feature and once upon a time internal sensors.

I have always intended to renew this system, albeit that it works fine, but feel the need to be able to Control it a(ie need a code), have a spare Key fob and upgrade the internal infra red cover but hitherto due to a lack of knowledge have shied away from doing so.

I'm now wondering about buying the kit off eBay and getting a local Cypriot firm to replace basically like for like. Is this sensible or am I opening a complete can of worms?
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Re: Toad alarm

Postby Saltire » Fri 14.07.2017, 19:59

epipete wrote:When I obtained my Elan some years back it came with a Toad alarm, one key fob and no code. It has an automatic locking feature and once upon a time internal sensors.

I have always intended to renew this system, albeit that it works fine, but feel the need to be able to Control it a(ie need a code), have a spare Key fob and upgrade the internal infra red cover but hitherto due to a lack of knowledge have shied away from doing so.

I'm now wondering about buying the kit off eBay and getting a local Cypriot firm to replace basically like for like. Is this sensible or am I opening a complete can of worms?

Hi Pete
I'm in the process of fitting a Toad Ai606T2 to replace the OEM S2 alarm (and the reason I haven't finished is because I prefer driving to stripping out the dash in the fine weather) :D

It seems to me fairly straightforward to fit - I have both control box and siren unit in the original S2 locations, and I used some of the original wiring (after testing it carefully). Most complex bit is linking into the central door locking. I bought my kit off eBay from a firm in Horsham (I can look up the name if you're interested). I believe you can buy new alarm fobs for the manufacturer (Scorpion). I think you can also reset the code yourself. I'm away from home at present, but I'll look up the instructions I have when I'm back and email you if so.

Not a can of worms, provided you work systematically.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby epipete » Sat 15.07.2017, 06:29

Thanks for your response Jonathon.

My big fear is that I'd be working 'blind' on it, insomuch as I have no idea what I'm looking at/for in stripping the old system out and I worry that I'd disconnect something that will leave me immobilised!

I have three choices, as I see it

1. Do nowt
2. Attempt to remove the existing system in its entirety and do a new fit as if on a virgin car
3. Obtain a new kit, identify the existing components and replace like with like, being reactive along the process.

I kinda think the 3rd way is most likely although the 2nd appeals more, I guess I'll stick with the 1st until the weather changes.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Saltire » Sat 15.07.2017, 09:21

I chose option 2 - but of course I was removing OEM, not aftermarket addition.

I'm now back home and have access to the installation instructions, which I'll email to you (assuming your LEC-listed email is valid). That confirms that you can set the PIN code yourself.

And for reasons I'll explain in email, I don't think you'd risk leaving yourself immobilised provided you record what you've done carefully (and I know you would).

More later, but I need to take my dog for a walk and my wife for a coffee - or possibly vice versa :lol:
Jonathan

Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby dapinky » Sat 15.07.2017, 09:45

Pete,

I have no knowledge of the Toad system, but on others I've seen, all the wires to the 'brain' were the same colour (presumably to make it harder for any thieving scumbag who found it).

As such, a system of 'flags' made from masking tape would be usefull - before you cut any wire, mark it with a number or letter on both sides of the cut - that way, it can be reversed fairly easily if you get to a stage where you need to go backwards.

I'm fairly sure that it will be preaching to the converted, knowing how methodically you tend to work, but worth a mention.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Saltire » Sat 15.07.2017, 13:32

The wires are colour-coded, though obviously I'm not going to post the colours on an open forum. However, I agree with Mr Pink: I've tagged mine for simplicity's sake, especially the immobiliser circuits, which ARE all the same colour.
Jonathan

Saltire
Fanatic

Postby epipete » Mon 17.07.2017, 08:22

Guys,

Thanks for the info and encouragement, I shall peruse the email that you've sent to me Jonathon.

I am also looking at the same Toad (Ai606) from the same supplier and notice that the price is actually starting to rise!

Jonathon, have you used any other 'add ons' such as vibration sensors?

Pete
epipete
God

Postby Saltire » Tue 18.07.2017, 08:29

Hi Pete

I have the microwave sensor, because I figured that was more useful than ultrasonics if I leave the car hood down. I also managed to buy, secondhand on eBay, the Toad window closure module (I had previously bought a third party one which is now surplus to requirements and which you're welcome to if you want it). Didn't think I needed anything else.
Jonathan

Saltire
Fanatic

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.