Headlight Issue

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Headlight Issue

Postby Ultimatt » Fri 11.08.2017, 21:50

Paint job was 10+ years ago and no front end work on rad/fans etc for 3+ years.
M100 Elan SE:
Metallic Gold Fleck Red.
Carbon intake pipes.
Bailey recirculating BOV.
Samco hose kit.
Pro-tech shocks.
S2 wheels.
16" Wilwood Brake upgrade.
S/S Exhaust system.
Everest Chip !
Ultimatt
Fanatic

Postby peteoddcar » Sat 12.08.2017, 20:00

Yup ten years would do it , just enough time for the rot to set in on low use car.
Shame you are not nearer I'd come and av a look
:cheers:
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby peteoddcar » Sat 12.08.2017, 20:01

:?:
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby Ultimatt » Sun 13.08.2017, 00:26

Will be taking a look at it later today Pete.
Not sure I could consider her a 'low use car' as she's been a daily driver 12 months a year for as long as I've helps her :lol:
M100 Elan SE:
Metallic Gold Fleck Red.
Carbon intake pipes.
Bailey recirculating BOV.
Samco hose kit.
Pro-tech shocks.
S2 wheels.
16" Wilwood Brake upgrade.
S/S Exhaust system.
Everest Chip !
Ultimatt
Fanatic

Postby antrap » Wed 30.08.2017, 05:50

Im sorry for not posting these pictures sooner, BUT here they are at last. The LED headlights from eBay. They are 10 times brighter than stock and better than HID's. The only problem required using a resistor (or tiny filament bulb) wired in parallel to one of the lights so the Pod Lift Module worked properly. Otherwise, the pods kept spasming and wouldn't close. I tried HID's and had the same issue with the Lift Module. Also, the light was horribly uneven and NOT very bright.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If the Elan was so "over-engineered", why are these forums necessary?
antrap

Postby Elanlover » Thu 31.08.2017, 14:22

VERY INTERESTED in exactly what you did to resolve this issue with the led headlights. I've installed some myself and have issues when I turn them off. The pods jump up and down a bit or don't close at all and the lights flicker. Is this what you experienced? What exactly did you do to resolve it? Thanks!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby antrap » Thu 31.08.2017, 23:10

That was EXACTLY what I was experiencing. At first I just used a small T10 bulb in it's original socket (salvaged from another car at some point), BUT water got into the socket, shorted the bulb, and blew the 40 Watt Maxi fuse inside the console tunnel. I recently replaced that bulb with a Load Resistor purchased with some of my other LED acquisitions off eBay and sealed all the connections with Liquid Electrical Tape. The Load Resistor was designed to cancel out the error codes in older cars produced by using LED's when the additional resistance from filament bulbs is needed (as with the Pod Lift Module or some brake lights/turn signals). See example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ASTAR-50W-6ohm-Load-Resistors-Hyper-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blink-Blinker-LED-Bulb-/231337466433?epid=1376614428&hash=item35dcc99a41:g:jAgAAOSwqu9U-9Gj&vxp=mtr . I only needed to wire in one Load Resistor (in parallel) behind only ONE of the dip/low beams. It gives off enough resistance to prevent the pod motors from going haywire. Coincidently, I changed out my turn signals and brake lights with LED bulbs and needed to use Load Resistors also. Good luck.
antrap

Postby Elanlover » Sat 02.09.2017, 00:11

Excellent, thanks. Is this the exact unit you used (thinking ahead for ordering)? Did it affect the intensity or brightness of the LED headlight?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby antrap » Sun 03.09.2017, 04:42

Yes. Same resistors. No, it doesn't affect the LED intensity.
antrap

Postby texas2201 » Thu 30.11.2017, 16:09

Hi I have a new problem today

Replaced the two dip headlights for LHD and replaced (well I will when it arrives) the plastic support for the lhs main

This morning all four lights working, pods going up and down, flash working all four lights. Got to the test center and there was a whirring noise coming from behind the dash????

Now the main beam is on all the time and if you flash it dims the main beam indicator in the dash console. flicking the main switch forward and back does not switch off the main lights,

out looking at it now with the top of the console removed and the lights on, I can see some smoke coming from the rhs from roughly where the light switch is?

swapped the relays and checked the fuses - no change - I repeat all four lights are working
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby texas2201 » Thu 30.11.2017, 17:23

no more smoke and now everything working as normal but no flash when pods are down - but flashes when pods are up? POD delay module? Flash worked before when pods were down ?

texas2201
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 30.11.2017, 19:33

"Replaced the two dip headlights for LHD " - does that mean yours is a RHD UK Spec SE?
If so, next question is it an early SE with 'opera glass headlights..
If it's a later SE - have you seen my reply of 9th August (it's on Page 3) with wiring diagram and explanation of how it works?
If it's 'opera glass' - there's 2 extra micro switches not on that diagram that stop the headlights coming on until they are in their final position.

The Pod Delay Module is worth investigating - it's a tall relay in the middle of the relay block under the instruments and accessed from below. (Main & Dip relays are through the top cover.) From where you heard the noise and saw smoke I'd suspect the Pod Delay Relay - pull it out and inspect it for burning - smell it if burning of the case isn't obvious.

Edit - additional info that might help ..
Correct function is If headlamp flasher switch is operated briefly the headlamps should rise, flash dip beams for a few seconds, then go down; but if held for longer headlamps should rise and both main & dip beams come on and that is held for 2 seconds after the switch is released, being held on by the Pod Delay Module. Might be worth comparing what's happening with yours to that ...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby texas2201 » Thu 30.11.2017, 20:34

lotusflasherman wrote:"Replaced the two dip headlights for LHD " - does that mean yours is a RHD UK Spec SE?
If so, next question is it an early SE with 'opera glass headlights.. Early one with Opera
If it's a later SE - have you seen my reply of 9th August (it's on Page 3) with wiring diagram and explanation of how it works?
If it's 'opera glass' - there's 2 extra micro switches not on that diagram that stop the headlights coming on until they are in their final position. - these were replaced and appear to be working

The Pod Delay Module is worth investigating - it's a tall relay in the middle of the relay block under the instruments and accessed from below. (Main & Dip relays are through the top cover.) From where you heard the noise and saw smoke I'd suspect the Pod Delay Relay - pull it out and inspect it for burning - smell it if burning of the case isn't obvious. Will pull it and see if it does smell - will replace if it does

Edit - additional info that might help ..
Correct function is If headlamp flasher switch is operated briefly the headlamps should rise, flash dip beams for a few seconds, then go down; but if held for longer headlamps should rise and both main & dip beams come on and that is held for 2 seconds after the switch is released, being held on by the Pod Delay Module. Might be worth comparing what's happening with yours to that ... that is what was happening up until it "cured" itself

texas2201
God

Postby texas2201 » Fri 01.12.2017, 20:39

Pod module has a hole burnt in it ... so ordered a new one

texas2201
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 02.12.2017, 17:36

texas2201 wrote:Pod module has a hole burnt in it ... so ordered a new one

That's pretty good confirmation of where the problem is. :lol:

Smell it and you'll know what a burnt relay smells like. You can breathe in through a length of windscreen washer tube to 'sniff test' inaccessible relays or suspect connections and it helps if you know what a burnt connection smells like.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby texas2201 » Mon 04.12.2017, 17:58

lotusflasherman wrote:
texas2201 wrote:Pod module has a hole burnt in it ... so ordered a new one

That's pretty good confirmation of where the problem is. :lol:

Smell it and you'll know what a burnt relay smells like. You can breathe in through a length of windscreen washer tube to 'sniff test' inaccessible relays or suspect connections and it helps if you know what a burnt connection smells like.

brings a whole new meaning to - I've just been sniffing.....................my relays :-)

texas2201
God

Postby texas2201 » Sun 10.12.2017, 13:01

trying to adjust the three new headlights :-( but using the screws I cannot get them low enough? Still getting flashed all the time. Am I missing something?

texas2201
God

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 10.12.2017, 13:17

texas2201 wrote:trying to adjust the three new headlights :-( but using the screws I cannot get them low enough? Still getting flashed all the time. Am I missing something?

Now you have LHD RH dip lights, don't forget it's direction as much as height that needs adjusting. Elans are low anyway, so you need the beam to be approx. level or just below, and the dip should cut off the top left of the light pattern.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby texas2201 » Sun 10.12.2017, 13:35

Fredjohn wrote:
texas2201 wrote:trying to adjust the three new headlights :-( but using the screws I cannot get them low enough? Still getting flashed all the time. Am I missing something?

Now you have LHD RH dip lights, don't forget it's direction as much as height that needs adjusting. Elans are low anyway, so you need the beam to be approx. level or just below, and the dip should cut off the top left of the light pattern.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

you are and I am taking that into consideration :-) but thanks :-)

texas2201
God

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.