Brighter Headlamps ???

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Brighter Headlamps ???

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 15.12.2017, 10:38

alan e wrote:Yes but they do say if you don't know how just use your head . :D

:lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby basher » Wed 20.12.2017, 19:34

Osram Nightbreakers Unlimited are on sale at Euro Car Parts at the mo.
£12.70 or so for a pair
Meant to be up to 110% brighter and let you see 35m further.
Unfortunately only last half as long but isn't there a saying about shining twice as bright for half as long?

Seemed reasonable to me at 6 quid each
basher
Enthusiast

Postby texas2201 » Fri 22.12.2017, 17:03

simonbuk wrote:Well one of my headlight bulbs had indeed blown - quite literally. I thought the filaments just went but this one has clearly blown up - what causes this ?

IMG_20171212_145743972__1513257517_2.217.73.11.jpg

I have just bought some lhd headlights dipped which have come with these bulbs. However my lights do not have three wires ! Just two power and earth.....what is the third prong on these bulbs for?
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby tb10 » Sat 23.12.2017, 09:37

I might be wrong but I understand that as the Elan has inner main beams and outer dipped beams the wires are only providing power for the dipped beams. The main beam is fed by the inner light's wiring so the third prong isn't used on the outer dipped lights as an H7 bulb is fitted. The third prong would be used in a conventional headlight setup using an H4 bulb.

I suppose you could wire the third prong up but given the size of the lights it may distort the beam pattern and blow a fuse if the fuse isn't uprated.

As I say, the above I might be wrong but it's based on my logic!

Regards and Merry Christmas!!

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby texas2201 » Sat 23.12.2017, 10:22

tb10 wrote:I might be wrong but I understand that as the Elan has inner main beams and outer dipped beams the wires are only providing power for the dipped beams. The main beam is fed by the inner light's wiring so the third prong isn't used on the outer dipped lights as an H7 bulb is fitted. The third prong would be used in a conventional headlight setup using an H4 bulb.

I suppose you could wire the third prong up but given the size of the lights it may distort the beam pattern and blow a fuse if the fuse isn't uprated.

As I say, the above I might be wrong but it's based on my logic!

Regards and Merry Christmas!!

John

Thanks John ....found some more info online. One prong is main and one is earth and one h
Is dip. I wonder could you wire the third prong into the main beam in the inner headlights or would this blow a fuse?

Merry chrimbo

texas2201
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 23.12.2017, 13:54

texas2201 wrote:Thanks John ....found some more info online. One prong is main and one is earth and one h
Is dip. I wonder could you wire the third prong into the main beam in the inner headlights or would this blow a fuse?

Merry chrimbo

If you are in Germany, leave it as it is..There is a UK & EU Vehicle Regulation somewhere that states a max wattage for a single light unit and dip & main beam on together will exceed this. (Bit outdated as it ought to be in Lux to deal with new technology :lol: ).
H1 bulb is a single connection that uses the base plate as earth, H4 bulb (these days) has 3 connections for earth, dip & main, and the base plate is not used. (There used to be single filament H4 bulbs with only 2 connectors but not seen any for decades.) Elan wiring to H4 main beam only has 2 wires for earth & main.

Look on Page 61 of the Owners Handbook and you'll see UK SE's used H1 Dip, H4 Main but France SE's have H1 for both. Japan, another RHD country, had H4 in both. I have both as H1 fittings.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby texas2201 » Sun 24.12.2017, 13:18

I am going to wire up the new lhd headlights with new plugs as dip only

texas2201
God

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.