Replacement headlight adjusting rings

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Replacement headlight adjusting rings

Postby 1kenobitoby » Sun 03.04.2016, 21:37

If anyone needs replacements for the headlight adjusting rings, the CAD files are available for free download at:
http://www.makershop.co/shop/1kenobitoby/

and then you can get them 3D printed (see threads about replacement bezels and butterfly clips if you need instructions on how).

If that's too much like hard work you can just buy them from:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1kenobitoby
(but it's a lot cheaper to get them printed yourself).

Images below of what I'm talking about. It's the plastic ring that the headlight sits in (black for dip units, white for main beam). The holes for the screws are pre-formed but small diameter holes often don't come out clean on 3D prints so you may need to run a drill bit through when they arrive.

Cheers

dip.JPG

beam.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1kenobitoby
3DprintGuru

Re: Replacement headlight adjusting rings

Postby dapinky » Sun 03.04.2016, 22:41

Looking very good, Toby - I wish you'd done all these parts 2 years ago when I was rebuilding my car :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Sun 17.04.2016, 15:11

I've ordered a set of these along with some other items I had scanned. I'll let you know how they look when I receive them. Regarding the price, I found it to be highly competitive even with shipping included when compared to a number of local 3D print shops in my area (Toronto, Ontario, Canada).

On a somewhat related topic I'm curious, Toby, if you have any experience with painting this type of material. I'll need to paint my other items and I've read a few things online about using acrylic. This material seems to be a bit porous but multiple light coats seems to seal the pores. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby 1kenobitoby » Sun 05.06.2016, 18:49

I haven't tried painting 3D printed parts. But for ABS ones it should just be like spraying an ABS car bumper: (i) plastic primer or (ii) adhesion promoter and regular primer followed by topcoat. Model makers use acrylic straight onto the plastic but models don't have to be hard wearing. Without a plastic primer I think you'll find it'll scratch off too easily for a car part. But let us know how you get on. Cheers
1kenobitoby
3DprintGuru

Postby Elanlover » Sun 05.06.2016, 19:21

The printed rings look very good and I'll install them once I'm through my other long list of projects. As for painting, I've had some other parts printed and have used Krylon plastic paint which seems to work well.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby DABgp » Sun 12.02.2017, 21:06

Very impressed with the videos. Have repaired the LH pop up motor following that vid, now moved on to replacing main beam lights. If I download your CAD file for the mounting rings and bezel, do I need CAD software on my machine or can I just forward it to a 3D print firm?

Can you recommend a 3D print firm in Lancashire?
DABgp
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 12.02.2017, 22:28

You just send the files to the 3D printing company. No other software needed.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Danny R » Sun 15.04.2018, 16:51

The 'maker.co/shop/1kenobitoby' link appears to be dead now, have they been removed or are they now available anywhere else?

Dan.
1990 Pacific Blue SE

1985 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet
1970 Leyland Mini Clubman Estate.
All-Cars Charly Tobrouk.
Danny R
Tinkerer

Postby Danny R » Sun 15.04.2018, 16:53

Danny R wrote:The 'maker.co/shop/1kenobitoby' link appears to be dead now, have they been removed or are they now available anywhere else?

Dan.

Forget that, after trying several times over two days, the minute I posted this the link worked!
1990 Pacific Blue SE

All-Cars Charly Tobrouk.
Danny R
Tinkerer

Postby Danny R » Sun 15.04.2018, 16:57

Danny R wrote:
Danny R wrote:The 'maker.co/shop/1kenobitoby' link appears to be dead now, have they been removed or are they now available anywhere else?

Dan.

Forget that, after trying several times over two days, the minute I posted this the link worked!

This is the link that worked for me in the end:

http://www.3dprintmakers.com/collection ... itoby/item

Just in case anyone's struggling with the link from Toby's YouTube channel. (Which is excellent, BTW)
1990 Pacific Blue SE

All-Cars Charly Tobrouk.
Danny R
Tinkerer

Postby texas2201 » Mon 16.04.2018, 12:44

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... /SJ567.htm £9.80 plus vat and postage ??? or am I missing something?
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 16.04.2018, 22:09

SJ567 is the mounting ring (inner). The OP is talking about the retaining ring (outer)
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.