Dip lights not working?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Dip lights not working?

Postby NigeElan » Sat 12.05.2018, 19:39

Hi, I’ve got a little issue that has me completely stumped! I jump started my Elan last week after a couple of years laid up, I had the usual lights flipping up and down etc.. when the power was connected. While turning over the engine, suddenly everything went dead. So I stopped jumping the car, disconnected the battery and the recharged it. Once recharged the car started first time. But when I turned the main lights on, they flipped up, but no lights on. I assumed that the bulbs had gone, so turned off the lights. But the pods didn’t retract? I manually wound them down and checked the bulbs (not in that order). Both bulbs fine. Switched on lights, pods flipped up, but no lights and no retraction when turned them off. Every time I wind the lights down, they flip back up when I turn on the lights. Main beam works, fog lights work, side lights work. After checking the forum, i checked fuses, swapped relays and bulbs all with no impact... Anyone have any ideas what else to check? Cheers
S2 Azure Blue number 567 owned since 2001
NigeElan

Re: Dip lights not working?

Postby Saltire » Sun 13.05.2018, 07:41

When you say you’ve checked the fuses and relays . . . Which ones exactly? Section MJ9 in the manual has the wiring diagrams, and there are 2 maxi fuses (D2 and D6), three other fuses (A4, C1 and C2), a main beam relay, a dip beam relay, the pod lift module and the pod delay module.

It’s the pod delay module which triggers the dip (and main) beam relay so I’d investigate that first. Section MJ2 in the manual shows the module location - it’s up under the dash on the drivers side (RHD car), so you just lie on the driver’s seat with your legs in the air and your head on the accelerator pedal, and you’ll see it above your head. Simples!!

If you can, I’d try swapping with a known good module first. Worst case, the part no is B100M0110F MODULE, HEADLAMP POD DELAY, and SJ Sportscars has them. £12 plus carriage and VAT.

Hope this helps
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby NigeElan » Sun 13.05.2018, 10:26

Thanks, I’ll try that today.
NigeElan

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 13.05.2018, 11:03

NigeElan wrote:Thanks, I’ll try that today.

I was going to send a picture to help you identify the pod delay module but found I've also got the wiring diagram and page from manual about how they work.. have fun . :lol:

relays.JPG

headlight function.JPG

headlights 1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Saltire » Sun 13.05.2018, 12:46

Thanks, Phil; I wasn’t at home so no access to the paperwork!
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby NigeElan » Sun 13.05.2018, 23:00

Thanks for your help. Relay removed and ordering a replacement. I’ll let you know if it works.
NigeElan

Postby Saltire » Mon 14.05.2018, 06:55

Just a gentle nudge: it helps to put your location in your profile, because there may be another member close by who has a spare item you can borrow to try. To do this, select “User Control Panel” from the menu bar at the very top of the page, then the Profile tab, and fill in the Location box.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby NigeElan » Mon 14.05.2018, 10:17

Good idea, location now stated. Cheers
NigeElan

Postby NigeElan » Wed 16.05.2018, 21:13

Received the new relay today, just fitted it, but no change. Lights still pop up, but don’t retract (I’m doing that manually) and no dip beam... :( anyone got any other ideas/thoughts? Cheers
NigeElan

Postby Saltire » Wed 16.05.2018, 22:56

Sorry the module didn’t make a difference. Have you tried swapping the main beam relay to the dip circuit to see if it’s a relay fault?
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby NigeElan » Wed 16.05.2018, 23:18

No problem, I’m grateful for the suggestions. Yes, tried swapping the relays and no impact. Completely stumped
NigeElan

Postby Saltire » Thu 17.05.2018, 20:01

Well, I’m running out of ideas too :D But don’t despair - let’s see if we can work it out logically. Do you have a multimeter, and/or a test lamp, so we can probe a bit further? Start by removing the dip beam relay, and you’ll find the pin connections noted on the bottom face (where the pins are). When the lamps are UP, you should have:
    +12volts at pins 30 and 86
    An earth connection at pin 85

If you have all those, put the relay back, and check to see if you can hear (or feel with your finger on it) it operate.

If OK, switch off the lamps (pods should retract, but I know they don’t), do you still have +12volts on pin 86? You shouldn’t have any voltage there.

If all these check out, then how have you tested the dip bulbs? At least one dip bulb must be working for the pods to retract, because that’s where the earth path runs. If both your bulbs are blown, the pods won’t go down. So check there’s a continuous circuit across the bulb, and also check you have sound connections to the bulb and good earth connections from the bulbs to the earthing point.

Finally, you might want to check the earth on the pod lift module (the black wire). That’s the black box mounted on the bulkhead behind and slightly to the offside of the radiator header tank:

[attachment=0]5B37DEE3-5610-404B-B984-0C6AB1110EEA.jpeg[/attachment

If that’s not making a good earth, funny things will happen.

Let’s see where we go with all that. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby NigeElan » Thu 17.05.2018, 20:40

Thanks for all your help, finally sorted. Straight after work tonight I spent an hour replacing all fuses, both bulbs (even though they all looked ok) and cleaning connectors. And the lights are now working! Thanks for the support and lesson learnt for me (not to rely on visual inspection of bulbs and fuses). Still unsure of exact cause, next job is to check the old fuses and bulbs to highlight which are defective... I think it’s one fuse and one bulb, but will confirm.
NigeElan

Postby Saltire » Thu 17.05.2018, 21:39

Great, glad you got it all sorted. For what it’s worth, I always check for continuity across fuses and bulbs with a multimeter. Even if they look fine, they sometimes aren’t.

Hopefully you won’t need the lights too much over the summer! Enjoy the S2 :m100:
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby NigeElan » Thu 17.05.2018, 22:28

Cheers. MOT next on the list...
NigeElan

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.