Orange low beam headlight wire.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Orange low beam headlight wire.

Postby tvacc » Sat 23.06.2018, 23:29

Hello all,
Last year I had a small accident where I rear ended a Chevy Malibu. I actually just went under his bumper. Very little damage to the Malibu. Damage to my M100 was that it pushed the right hand light pod up and I had to replace it and paint the hood. I went to get the car inspected and the right side low beam does not work. Looking at it, there is an orange wire that comes out of the low beam bulb connector. It goes down to a male plug that on my car is disconnected. I cannot find the female connector to connect the male connector to. I had to remove the inner fender liner to see all this.

Can anyone point me where to look for the connector. Cant be too far away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.lotusowners.com LOONYs (Lotus Owners of New York) 91 Elan, 71 Elan, Elan GTS, 66 Elan Coupe, 99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 93 Caterham, 74 Europa, President of Lotus Ltd, USA's largest Lotus Club.
tvacc
Tinkerer

Re: Orange low beam headlight wire.

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 24.06.2018, 00:24

Tony: The circuit for the low beam headlamp should be a BLUE wire with an orange trace, not a solid orange. Fuse C6 protects that connection. Probably should check that as well. The connection for the lamp wire the the harness is shown as the Right Hand Front Harness Connector. No other designation is given.

I am nowhere near my car right now so can't help with any pictures. Sorry.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 24.06.2018, 02:40

There was a British Standard for vehicle wiring that Lotus built early cars to and I'm pretty sure the M100 conforms to most of it...
Solid Orange is a wiper motor supply and Orange with a coloured trace is used for wiper functions like intermittent and parking, including headlamp wipers. Not sure what that is doing there .. :smt017

As John says, headlight wiring is Blue with a coloured trace to identify where and what ..
I made a 'plain English' copy of the standard for my own use, it's here if it helps...
colour code for British vehicle_wiring -new BS.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby tvacc » Sun 24.06.2018, 03:01

I honestly don't know what to say here. If I look at the connector that is on the back of the headlight. The wire is orange. I follow that wire through the grommet and it exits right at the front of the wheel well. I have to remove the wheel liner to see it. That wire is orange. No question it is the wire from the headlight connector. I have checked it with an ohm meter.

Same thing on the other side of the car. Wire is orange.

Tony V
http://www.lotusowners.com LOONYs (Lotus Owners of New York) 91 Elan, 71 Elan, Elan GTS, 66 Elan Coupe, 99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 93 Caterham, 74 Europa, President of Lotus Ltd, USA's largest Lotus Club.
tvacc
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 24.06.2018, 03:10

Is it possible someone has changed the lamps and sockets? Like upgrading to a different type bulb?

I would be happy to look at my car but I won't be back from the hospital for 2 to 3 weeks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tvacc » Sun 24.06.2018, 03:32

Don't think so. It looks stock to me.

Tony
tvacc
Tinkerer

Postby tigerdog » Mon 25.06.2018, 02:52

tvacc wrote: If I look at the connector that is on the back of the headlight. The wire is orange.

Hi Tony! Which headlight connector does it come from, the dipped beam or main? If dipped, does the connector have two wires, or three? Also, does the car have stock headlamps or replacements? I know some replacements (Cibie, for example) have a small, "city" bulb in the housing that would be used as a parking light on a car without concealed lamps. Could the extra wire be coming from one of these?
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.