RH pod not working

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: RH pod not working

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 11.10.2018, 23:20

Geoff,

Ive ordered this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Am-Tech-3pc- ... 2653024977
so i can check all solder joints .

i have now also made the relay click (using a 9v supply because from the print on the relay i undertood that to be correct) and confirmed the continuity of the fused +12v feeds to all the 4 outputs. (2 of them while the relay is closed and the other 2 while the relay is opened).

I was checking continuity of the ground wire. as from reading the wiring diagram i was under the impression this may have been a continous, although the multimeter did not beep while i was testing. i got an interesting pair of readings when the relay was not powered. for one of the pods. it read a figure near the 500 (i assume ohms although i dont know as the check is simply a continuity/diode check and not resistance rated) while the ground connection for the other pod was reading 730

for now im going to wait for the magnifying glasses. and will be checking if its possible to take any more readings from the board's components wihtout the need to remove them from the circuit (i know ESR tests can work for capacitors, but i dont have the tool, but im hoping its harmless to confirm the resistors and diodes are working fine without the need to isolated them from the circuit )

Geoff, is there any tools you would be recomending i buy in order to make life easier that do not cost a arm and a leg ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 12.10.2018, 01:10

The mysterious IC switches the BUZ10 MOSFETs to make the ground connection so I'm not surprised you can't buzz out the 0V.

I use these but I prefer my old pair without the light as they are a lot lighter:

As well as a decent soldering iron, you really need a de-soldering tool. Don't but the 99p specials from China/Hong Kong but go for something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURATOOL-SOL ... :pf:0#rwid
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 13.10.2018, 19:36

GeoffSmith wrote:The mysterious IC switches the BUZ10 MOSFETs to make the ground connection so I'm not surprised you can't buzz out the 0V.

I use these but I prefer my old pair without the light as they are a lot lighter:

As well as a decent soldering iron, you really need a de-soldering tool. Don't but the 99p specials from China/Hong Kong but go for something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURATOOL-SOL ... :pf:0#rwid

I have a 40w (or possibly 50w) soldering station it works nicely for the other recent sldering jobs ive done, (replacing batteries in GameBoy cartriges, and soldering power switch on a nintendo DS) i also have a set of different tips to use, which im still learning exactly where each is best used.

Already have a desoldering tool like the one you linked, although i dont know its background. it was a gift from my brother.

im assuming your suggestion about the desoldering suction tool implies its common to remove components to test them ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.