RH pod not working

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: RH pod not working

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 05.12.2018, 14:13

mikecg wrote:Are you testing both the diodes and resistors on the board or isolating them by disconnecting one leg from the board?

i tested initially everything on the board.
if the reading was not the expected reading i lifted the legs to confirm.
in my board, only 1 diode needed to be lifted in order to test correctly.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 05.12.2018, 14:24

Tuga2112 wrote:
i do not advice removing the transistor, i would recommend disconnecting it. which can be done using sharp snippers

By this, do you mean in the end that you left the old transistor in place and laid the replacement over the top of it as in the picture? Or is that just the final test phase before removing the defective one and properly attaching the new one to the heat sink?

Those are power transistors and they get very hot while operating. They need to be properly attached to the heat sink area or they will self destruct fairly quickly.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 05.12.2018, 20:20

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:By this, do you mean in the end that you left the old transistor in place and laid the replacement over the top of it as in the picture? Or is that just the final test phase before removing the defective one and properly attaching the new one to the heat sink?

Those are power transistors and they get very hot while operating. They need to be properly attached to the heat sink area or they will self destruct fairly quickly.

I left the old transistor where it stood, for 2 reasons.
the first being the fact the rivet that holds it in place is tricky to remove without risking damaging the PCB
the second reason is because the replacement transistor is rated higher current and voltage as well as lower heat dissipation and wider working temperature range

the transistor only powers up for a few seconds so, it should work fine for a long time given the ratings and workload.
I had it now fitted for 3 or more weeks with daily use (its night time here both on my way to work and back) without any problems.

I will report if it fails.

the biggest consern i have about the transistor is that its glued on top of the old one with pretty long connector legs. i fear it will fail due to trepidation of the car/engine breaking loose the soldering joints.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.