New battery

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Dave Eds, Nige, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover

New battery

Postby whippit » Thu 14.03.2019, 23:00

Not been about for a few years , about five I think , cars not turned a wheel in four years ,
Time to get her running again ,
What's considered a good battery, , mines still on the original ac delco , shame I didn't up the conditioner I've had for years,
Any way like to keep original But cannot find a link to ac delco that works
Thanks
whippit
Fanatic

Re: New battery

Postby Saltire » Fri 15.03.2019, 08:46

Well, first off, I wouldn’t worry about originality as applied to batteries. I suspect that the Delco batteries were what happened to be around at the time (although those who worked in the factory may correct me). Battery technology has moved on considerably in the last 30 years as well.

Some of our illustrious colleagues on here have had good results with ‘cheap and cheerful’ batteries from Halfords and the like. Personally, I have always used either Bosch or Yuasa (essentially the same internals) in my cars. They come with a long guarantee, and I’ve only had one failure in 45 years of driving, which was sorted out without quibble under warranty.

Whatever you go for, choose the right size of battery, expressed as a 3 digit number. My S2 takes an 075. Also, make sure you select something with a good CCA rating. Putting it simply, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is a measure of how much ooomph (technical term) your battery has to start the car on cold mornings. The higher the figure, the better, and there’s often quite a difference between apparently identical batteries of different makes.

When I needed a battery last year, I went for one of these, although I bought from a local supplier because there was a deal on at the time.

Hope this helps :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2010 Fiat Panda 100HP, bossanova white/grey (the rollerskate)
2017 BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD, Mediterranean blue/magnolia (the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: New battery

Postby dapinky » Fri 15.03.2019, 12:40

Hi, great to hear that you are still about - always nice to see old faces pop back in.

I am a great believer in the quality of Yuasa batteries, but i also like to save money...... (unfortunately, Yuasa got a bad rep a couple of years or so ago due to a large quantity of 'knock-offs' which hit the market which were cheappo batteries with a sticker on them - not in any way a fault of the battery/company, but just a bit of a lucrative scam).

Anyway, when mine needed changing last year (except it didn't, but I left the internal lights on - but that's another story!) I wanted to get mobile at short notice, so ordered a cheappo one from ebay (a company in Luton who delivered next-day who I have used for a few other batteries and always had great service).

I have no doubt that it isn't as 'good' as a Bosch/Yuasa etc, but it says that it is calcium technology, and they put a 4 year waranty on it.

As stated, you need to get the right size for the car, and this is the 3-digit reference number - either 065 or 075 are the correct dimensions and orientation, and it used to be that the 065 was slightly less powerful than the 075 (one for petrol engines, one for diesel or whatever). However, the 065 seems to have been phased out over the past few years, and most websites just specify the 075 for every vehicle in the range that takes that size of unit.

It is probably the most common battery for the whole market, so getting hold of one isn't any issue at all.

They do make what they call a 'High cappacity' 075 which has a few more CCA available, but isn't strictly necessary for the Elan (I went for it anyway, as it was under £2 difference in price, and had an extra year guarantee).... from my understanding, it is about 1Kg heavier, so has thicker lead plates, which is the only difference.

Like tyres, everyone has a personal preference to what they buy, but all will do the job required.

Oh, and over the winter mine has held its charge well enough to start the car up once a month, only needing to go on charge on one ocassion when it was flat.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.