Wisp of smoke from dashboard and won't start

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: Wisp of smoke from dashboard and won't start

Postby Redlotus » Sun 07.04.2019, 10:48

Thanks all, I was talking rubbish. My Elanscan does have a USB connector. I'll buy a new battery tomorrow and try it out. Is the link below the correct link to get the software?

https://web.archive.org/web/20180122031 ... _ALDL.html

Thanks all for all of the help. I'll report back so you know the end of the story!
Redlotus

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 07.04.2019, 11:05

HJ2 wrote:Reverse charged...

I could not see THAT one coming....

Me neither! :shock:

matts1972 wrote:You could also try to blink error codes with a paper clip:
http://www.lotuselancentral.com/repair/aldl.htm
If your ECU confirms diagnostic mode, it cannot be entirely dead.

:agree:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Redlotus » Mon 08.04.2019, 18:32

I plugged in the Elan Scan and got some error messages which I have already forgotten. Was it bad echo or something?

I did get some data, the here is an .pdf download of a few seconds as I cranked it over. I can see the battery voltage fall when cranking over but I assume the ECU is fried?

Any feedback?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redlotus

Postby matts1972 » Tue 09.04.2019, 07:10

As you got some data back, I believe the ECU is fine. Also there are no error codes.
As you can smell fuel when cranking, I would look for spark as a next step.
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby Redlotus » Tue 09.04.2019, 16:41

I am getting the ECU checked out by the ECUdoctor.co.uk for £ 35 as best to do things logically step by step. If it is OK next step is to look at how the spark is generated.

The headlights also now don't pop up, there is obviously an electronic delay circuit from the "flash" circuit. Perhaps it's one of those relays I haven't looked at that yet.

First things first is to get it started.

Thanks all
Redlotus

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 09.04.2019, 16:56

I presume you've checked all of the fuses - the headlight pod lift module is prone to burning out under normal bias and its got a battery (rather than ignition) feed. It's on the bulkhead in the engine bay.

http://wikilec.com/view/Electrical
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Redlotus » Wed 10.04.2019, 08:05

I have ordered a pod lift module from SJ Sports Cars as these are very cheap and see if this fixes the lights issue.
Redlotus

Postby Redlotus » Fri 12.04.2019, 22:22

OK, just to feedback to the group. The new pod lift module has fixed the lights and flash function. The old module didn't smell burnt out but it has several transistors/ Triac type devices so these could fry very easily without making any smoke.

The ECU doctor received the ECU for testing today so hopefully on Monday I'll have a diagnosis on that.

Thanks all
Redlotus

Postby Redlotus » Mon 15.04.2019, 14:43

OK. The ECU doctor just called and the ECU is fine. I'll have it back in the post tomorrow.

So we have it cranking over (with a new battery); one can smell fuel from the exhaust; we know the ECU is OK so where to look next?

Thanks!
Redlotus

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 15.04.2019, 15:09

Do you have SPARK?

The Ignition Control Module A100E6577S is certainly polarity sensitive, so you should check to see if you are getting spark.
Lotus Dealer price is £210.71+ postage, SJs price is £276.83 + postage

I am in the US but still have a few new modules at $75.00 + $60.00 postage
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Redlotus » Mon 15.04.2019, 18:32

Thanks, my next step is to double check the ECU and see if I can read or "blink" error codes. The reason why is I spoke to SJ Sports Cars today and they once had an instance of reverse polarity and they said it fried the ECU and nothing else was damaged. They were skeptical that my ECU had survived. However I have no reason to disbelieve the ECU doctor who have all sorts of test equipment and can rebuild and repair ECU's

Thanks for the information on the spark module, that'll be my next step.

I don't suppose there is an error code that shows lack of spark!
Redlotus

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 15.04.2019, 19:08

No, there is no error code that I am aware of.

If you need a replacement ECU/ECM I might have one more NEW ONE and a couple used ones available...

I would need to know what version you have SE, S2, FED, Japan (I hope not) as I will make sure you have the correct memcal when it arrives.

I would like to have your original one back as a core.

I don't see you location but if you could get it to Stratton Motors in Long Stratton and they could include it in my next shipment (might save you a few pence)

For anyone else reading this, I am always looking for old(er) memcals (SE/S2/FED) Not Naturally Aspirated (NA)

If anyone is having trouble getting their SE "tuned" to pass MOT Emissions, I could provide a direct replacement memcal on an exchange basis or like ElanChips has been supplying with a Moates type board.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby matts1972 » Tue 16.04.2019, 08:12

Redlotus wrote:
I don't suppose there is an error code that shows lack of spark!

So with a non-runner you will always want to know first if you have fuel and spark. You will probably find that there is no spark on your car. Then the coils will be the next thing to look at (as Brit-car-Nut pointed out).
As you had an electrical fault, everyone here is assuming that you checked all the fuses already.

I am repeating myself, but you already checked the ECU (which gave you 0 error codes in ElanScan).
Look for a video on YouTube on how to check for spark - it is basically the same for any car (with spark plugs).
It is not hard and even easier if you have an extra spark plug available.

Best of luck
Matthias
matts1972
Tinkerer

Postby Redlotus » Wed 17.04.2019, 20:08

Checked for spark, nothing. I have ordered the Ignition Module from Brit-car-nut and will report back in a couple of weeks when it arrives.

Thanks to all people who responded - great forum as usual.
Redlotus

Postby Redlotus » Thu 02.05.2019, 20:08

Just to update everybody who so kindly helped.

I installed the Ignition module which I bought from Brit-car-nut and the car fired up on the first turn of the key. So to get it fully fixed I only have to change alternator now which I've ordered from S J Sportscars. So now you all know (at least in my case) a reversed battery kills the Ignition Module, the alternator and the Headlight relay and does not blow any fuses. The ECU must have polarity protection.

Thank you all!
Redlotus

Postby matts1972 » Fri 03.05.2019, 00:55

That is great news :D
matts1972
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.