Car wont start

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Car wont start

Postby mfealy » Mon 13.05.2019, 22:53

My car battery died so I installed a new battery,the car was ok but after a week it failed to start, the starter motor would just make a clicking sound and the lights on the dash would go out as if the battery had no power in it. I was thinking the alternator was not charging the battery but a few days later I tried again and it started on the first go. But then it stopped again,same thing it would not start, just faint click at the stater motor
and lights on the dash would go out as if the battery was dead.
mfealy

Re: Car wont start

Postby Simon_P » Tue 14.05.2019, 01:08

Did you clean and tighten the battery terminals?
Simon_P
God

Postby sideways » Tue 14.05.2019, 01:27

"But then it stopped again"

Do you mean the engine cut out as you were driving?
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Tue 14.05.2019, 08:16

Sounds to me like you have something draining all the power from your battery ie immobiliser/alarm, interior light left on, mirror light on, boot light on (check it goes out when boot is closed by recording on video on your phone),radio etc... Parasitic battery drain ??? Check the simple things first.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby RonR » Tue 14.05.2019, 10:05

Seems like you have some intermittent resistance somewhere in the path from battery to car, or perhaps a duff battery. I would get it checked by the supplier as a first step.
If the battery is sound and recovered from this condition on it's own, it points to a loose battery cable connection, either a cable to battery terminal or possibly at the earth point at the chassis.
If you're unlucky it may be at the +ve battery connection behind the dashboard, but that's unlikely as it wouldn't have been disturbed when the battery was replaced.
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby mfealy » Thu 16.05.2019, 19:13

Hi all thanks for the posts so far.

I been away from the car for a few days.

First thing I did on my return was clean both battery terminals and connectors ensureed the terminals were bolted on tight and car started up first go.

the next time I tried to start the car few hrs later it was the same fault as if the battery was dead.
So moved around both wires a bit connected to the battery and car started up.

There was an alarm fitted to the car but it's been removed by some and I see few extra wires connected to the battery.
mfealy

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.