Window Motors same in all variants ?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Window Motors same in all variants ?

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 02.12.2019, 22:15

parts manual states the motor assemblies are
b100b0078f
b100b00789

one for left and one for the right, is anyone aware of any elan variant where the motors used were different to these 2 part numbers ?

I have an electronics project that controls the windows in my car. this seems to be working fine given some stall currents i tested myself, but i have been wondering if its possible other elans were fitted with different motors, which could potentially operate at a different current.

so, the question is on the title, anyone can confirm if all elans were fitted with the same make and model of window motor?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: Window Motors same in all variants ?

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 02.12.2019, 23:19

I can't imagine the motors would be changed for any good reason. The biggest difference is likely to be the condition of the motor and the mechanism - old motor and rough mechanism needs more power and therefore current. There will also be a difference due to battery voltage and depending on whether the alternator is charging the battery or not.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 02.12.2019, 23:42

Tuga2112 wrote:parts manual states the motor assemblies are
b100b0078f
b100b0079f

one for left and one for the right, is anyone aware of any elan variant where the motors used were different to these 2 part numbers ?

I have an electronics project that controls the windows in my car. this seems to be working fine given some stall currents i tested myself, but i have been wondering if its possible other elans were fitted with different motors, which could potentially operate at a different current.

so, the question is on the title, anyone can confirm if all elans were fitted with the same make and model of window motor?

Lotus ran out of the original regulators around 10 years ago and started providing a similar style regulator that had a slightly different motor with a different plug but the (current sensed switching) function didn't change and they were all interchangeable except for having to change the motor power connector with a couple of plain "F" crimps.

The motors are a bit smaller in size and have blue plastic bits as part of the motor housing.

I can take a picture of both versions and post them if that is necessary.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby wayne » Tue 03.12.2019, 11:56

I could be wrong..... but I seem to think that there are 2 different plugs used? One black on the earlier cars, the other one is Grey on later cars? As far as I can visually see the actual motor is the same. I have no idea on the actual motor used or power consumption. This is more the Geoff and BCN territory.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 03.12.2019, 18:53

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Lotus ran out of the original regulators around 10 years ago and started providing a similar style regulator that had a slightly different motor with a different plug but the (current sensed switching) function didn't change and they were all interchangeable

John,
as far as im aware. there is no current sensing in my elan. if i keep the switch pushed after the window traveled the full lenght, i can clearly see the voltage dropping in the voltmeter.

does your car stop pumping pixies to the motor ?

from reading the circuit diagrams i cant see anything that would have that effect.
the switches trigger relays, and the relays are the standard suto relays in my car, they dont have any current sensing cutoffs by design.

this replacement motor you mention, being 20 years newer than the originals may end up draining less current in order to operate and have a considerably lower stall current.

do you know the part number for the newer motor variant, John ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.