Switching Plus problem on ISO connector for radio

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Switching Plus problem on ISO connector for radio

Postby Burningflash » Tue 12.01.2021, 19:40

Hi

I repaired the ISO connectors for radio because the owner before me damaged all cables and there was a cable salad.
I got new terminals and made it with new ISO connector. Now the speaker connector is finished and also the power supply connector for the radio.

But here I have a problem :

- I found ground (-) but this are 2 cables, one black and one brown which were together. This is strange but understandable
- I found illumination whis is switching on 12V when I use the light switch, everything clear
- I found cable which goes to antenna and connected it to ISO connector so that radio can give 12V in the future on this terminal
- I found one thick cable which has always 12V so this is for me + and put it on the connector
- I found another cables where all the time is 12V, doesn't matters if key is inserted or not or light switch is on or off. Here I expected a cable which will have 12V after turning the key but not all the time

Does someone has an idea what could be damaged?
Burningflash

Re: Switching Plus problem on ISO connector for radio

Postby rip » Tue 12.01.2021, 22:35

I didn't know there was a M100 in Poland? Witamy!
The only oddity I can remember from when fitting my radio was the permanent & switched live were the opposite to what I expected, the switched being yellow (zolte) & the permanent being red (czerwony).
Did I spell those colours correctly? I did it from memory.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Saltire » Tue 12.01.2021, 23:41

On my S2, there is no ignition controlled supply to the radio as standard. The +12v permanent battery supply ( from fuse E1) is fed to two terminals in the standard connector. See sheets 17/17a in the wiring diagrams, which are downloadable from the manuals link at the top of this page. (I have installed an ignition supply separately).

There ARE two earth wires - but there’s a catch. The black wire is the ‘normal’ earth. The brown wire earths the radio casing through the alarm. If this wire is disconnected, the alarm assumes the radio is being stolen, and will trigger the siren.

If you have an SE, rather than an S2, the alarm is different, but I’m told the wiring is basically the same :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby HJ2 » Wed 13.01.2021, 08:17

I currently have the radio out of the steel blue.
I will have a look this afternoon.

By the way, i have the radio out on the hunt for a speed pulse.
Any insights where to find that? As it was more then 12 years ago when I sorted that...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Burningflash » Wed 13.01.2021, 09:15

Guys, I thank you for the warm welcome and your great help!!!

@rip
Yeah I have this car since over 7 years but it was NEVER on the street. Bought it from Greece totally devasteted. Never had the time to get it work (VERY much parts missing) but my my new year's resolution is to finish this project :D
Your colour spelling is right :clap:

@Saltire
Thanks for this informations! Without that I would sit here hours for searching + after ignition because never met a car without it. I have also a S2 so now it is clear and I know that I have also to install a ignition supply +
Now also clear for what the brown cable is :) I removed the whole alarm system because it was damaged so no need to connect it but I allready connected it with the black cable so it will stay so.
By the way : my +12V is violet not red, see photo

@HJ2
Thanks for making a picture for me then I can double check how it should look like
For your problem with speed pulse I have no answer but my first idea would be to check the wiper relay because on other cars you can find there a speed signal. But no guarantee :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burningflash

Postby Saltire » Wed 13.01.2021, 10:02

My +12v battery supply is also purple :D

If you remove the instrument panel cover plate (2 Philips screws) you’ll see the other end of the brown wire screwed to the top of the steel cross member behind the dash. Two earths doesn’t do any harm, but you could always unscrew it and remove it to keep things tidy.

EDITED: PS: I took my ignition supply from the fused supply to the cigarette lighter - nice and handy when I had the dash out :D
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Saltire » Wed 13.01.2021, 10:18

HJ2 wrote:By the way, i have the radio out on the hunt for a speed pulse.
Any insights where to find that? As it was more then 12 years ago when I sorted that...

I seem to recall finding the speed sensor on the rear of the instrument panel (sheet 24 in the wiring diagrams), but I’m sure someone who has a better memory, or more experience, or both, will be along to correct me shortly :shock:
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Postby HJ2 » Wed 13.01.2021, 10:23

Saltire wrote:
HJ2 wrote:By the way, i have the radio out on the hunt for a speed pulse.

I seem to recall finding the speed sensor on the rear of the instrument panel (sheet 24 in the wiring diagrams), but I’m sure someone who has a better memory, or more experience, or both, will be along to correct me shortly :shock:

Perhaps my own memory as I did exactly this 12 years ago...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby dapinky » Wed 13.01.2021, 11:30

Saltire wrote:I seem to recall finding the speed sensor on the rear of the instrument panel (sheet 24 in the wiring diagrams), but I’m sure someone who has a better memory, or more experience, or both, will be along to correct me shortly :shock:

There is nothing wrong with your memory, sir!

The OE speed sensor is indeed on the rear of the instrument panel - and is fed from 10V voltage regulator.... then goes to the ECU via a black/yellow wire. So a feed can be had from the wires at the multipin plug to the instrument cluster.

It is where I took the sensor feed for my cruise control, as the Elan doesn't have ABS.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Wed 13.01.2021, 14:11

dapinky wrote:It is where I took the sensor feed for my cruise control, as the Elan doesn't have ABS.

That’s interesting, Dave; I have the cruise control LH stalk (long story), but I’ve never used the buttons for anything. Presumably there’s a solenoid you’ve hidden somewhere that drives the throttle cable?

Apologies burningflash for straying :offtopic: :oops:
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 13.01.2021, 14:38

Jonathan,

It's a Vectra (same as Omega) system which I fitted - thread here - but the final version uses a wheel speed sensor and 'magic box' from an Astra G to provide a corrected speed sensor input to the control box.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Wed 13.01.2021, 19:38

dapinky wrote:Jonathan,

It's a Vectra (same as Omega) system which I fitted - thread here - but the final version uses a wheel speed sensor and 'magic box' from an Astra G to provide a corrected speed sensor input to the control box.

Thanks; might just have to go on the project list . . .
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Postby Blaster » Wed 13.01.2021, 21:22

When I wired mine I found that you can get a switched live on the air condition switch which will also supply with a lights on feed to dim the lights on the radio. I uses some crimp terminal pins that pushed into the multi block connector for the switch.
Tony

1990 Lotus Elan SE 2009 Triumph Daytona 675SE
2012 KTM Freeride 350 2008 VW T5 4-Motion camper.
2019 Ace aviation Spirt 16 2018 AC Nitro 200 Ozone Speedster
Blaster

Postby Saltire » Wed 13.01.2021, 22:07

Blaster wrote:When I wired mine I found that you can get a switched live on the air condition switch which will also supply with a lights on feed to dim the lights on the radio. I uses some crimp terminal pins that pushed into the multi block connector for the switch.

Sadly I’d already used that feed for my seat heater switch, otherwise I would have done likewise :bonk:
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Postby Burningflash » Wed 13.01.2021, 23:40

Hi

With your help and advices I found my ignition switch and the radio is now installed and working how it should :)
Burningflash

Postby Blaster » Wed 13.01.2021, 23:56

Saltire wrote:
Blaster wrote:When I wired mine I found that you can get a switched live on the air condition switch which will also supply with a lights on feed to dim the lights on the radio. I uses some crimp terminal pins that pushed into the multi block connector for the switch.

Sadly I’d already used that feed for my seat heater switch, otherwise I would have done likewise :bonk:

Show off with the heated seats. My seats have been recently re-covered so it may be some time before I make that mod.
Tony

Blaster

Postby Saltire » Thu 14.01.2021, 18:27

Blaster wrote:Show off with the heated seats. My seats have been recently re-covered so it may be some time before I make that mod.

I wanted to do my heaters first, but I am planning a retrim shortly. As a matter of interest, where did you have your seats done, Tony?
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Postby Blaster » Thu 14.01.2021, 19:32

The seats were recovered before I bought the car last year. I have just looked through the box file of paper work and can't find anything to do with the seats only carpet and new hood. They are OK but the panel on the door could have been done better as they are too thick and keep falling off.
Tony

Blaster

Postby Saltire » Thu 14.01.2021, 23:37

Ah well, thanks anyway!
Jonathan

2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.