What Horn

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

What Horn

Postby epipete » Tue 11.11.2014, 00:15

Whilst sorting my headlights out I note that the horn bracket is severely rusted and one of the Horns is completely knackered!

Looking through the site there is a very old thread in which our US cousins replaced their horn with something more exotic but this was so long ago that it is probably not relevant any longer.

So, has anyone any idea with what I can replace my horns with, is there a quality/loading/fitment that I need to adhere to?

Has anyone replaced/upgraded their horns?

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Re: What Horn

Postby dapinky » Tue 11.11.2014, 11:17

Pete,

I think that the biggest issue is finding something to fit, which is loud enough.

If you can get it into the space, then I'm sure one of thesewould be ideal.

Failing that - maybe a tour of a scrapyard to pick up something which looks okay (size wise).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 11.11.2014, 11:43

Not really. A horn is a horn is a horn .... other than some, mainly after-market horns, use an air compressor to blow a trumpet and some vibrate a diaphragm with an electro-magnet which is the usual OEM option. Electrical loading is pretty standard and having looked on fleabay it seems they quote decibels rather than any load currents.

Last fuse feeding horn is 15 amp which is fed from 40 amp fuse that also feeds A/C Compressor (if you have A/C),Fuel Pump and lighting in form of sidelights, rear fog and dip switch & lighting relay supplies. (Headlamp load switched by that relay is fed by another set of fuses.) 15amps at 12V is 180 watts and I doubt even inrush current on a compressor will be near that.

Pair here www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Lotus-Elan-1-6-ACP-Universal-High-Low-Sound-Snail-Horns-Power-Replacement-/231274949687?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ALotus%7CModel%3AElan%7CCars+Year%3A1993&hash=item35d90fac37 for £5.95 with p&P which suggests it's a direct replacement so should fit without too much trouble - other than getting to them.

At that price I reckon it's a 'no-brainer'.

Phil
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 11.11.2014, 12:13

dapinky wrote:Pete,

I think that the biggest issue is finding something to fit, which is loud enough.

Failing that - maybe a tour of a scrapyard to pick up something which looks okay (size wise).

That solution is not very 'Lotus' Dave, take off 2 and fit 5 with a compressor and all the extra wiring - relays would probably be needed to drive that orchestra ! Not sure it will fit in the space and all that extra WEIGHT!

Years ago my Honda 400/4 bike needed new horn to pass MOT so guy fitted a 12v 40watt 135dB horn size of an Elan Wheel centre cap. Think it cost about £10. Has a nice deep 'GET OUT THE WAY', not a squeaky 'excuse me' like some.
Always thought I should get one and fit to the Elan ....

Phil
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby epipete » Tue 11.11.2014, 14:13

lotusflasherman wrote:At that price I reckon it's a 'no-brainer'.

I agree, purchase made.

I'll let you know how they go.

:cheers: both of you,

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby rip » Tue 11.11.2014, 15:04

dapinky wrote:Pete,

They are sequential, not simultaneous.
I believe it is illegal to use sequential horns on a road car built after 1972.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby epipete » Tue 11.11.2014, 15:20

That's a bugger, anyone want to buy some horns?

Edit: Rip are you referring to the Horns in Dave's link? If so that's ok as I've bought the others and their site doesn't indicate that there is any sequential issue!
epipete
God

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 11.11.2014, 15:28

Pete
If they are on their way to you, try them first when you get them. If they are sequential, it shouldn't be too difficult to rewire them so they are simultaneous. If not, your good to go. Or in proper non-forum speak English, you're good to go.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 11.11.2014, 23:14

There are two horns - one high tone & one low. I bought one last year from SJ Sportscars for not too much cash.

Does this help? It seems rather basic advice when I compare it with what you have replied to me on the subject of brakes.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby epipete » Wed 12.11.2014, 00:22

Yeah, that's great Rusty, they're ordered now anyway so I guess I'll just 'suck it and see'!
epipete
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 12.11.2014, 10:09

Pete,

I've put away my stupid head which I was wearing when I made my first reply, as there now appears to be questions/concerns which may require correct interpretation....

Firstly, the Regulations do indeed prohibit multi-tone horns on anything newer than an 'L' reg (suffix) car, ie July 1972.......I remember one sunny day in 1980 having this explained to me by a helpful gent in a black suit and funny hat, just after I gave the seafront perambulators a quick rendition of 'Colonel Bogie' from my subtle Flourescent Orange Mk3 Cortina (Unfortunately, made in 1975 :( )

However, in the case of a 'matched pair', it is different.

Basically, the law was passed to stop people fitting 2-tone horns to their cars to sound like Old Bill (Nee-Nahs), not for music loving students in their boy-racer Cortinas (But it worked on them as well)

In this case, although the 2 horns do emit a different tone, it is simultaneous not sequential, so is okay....

...it is designed that way so that it can be heard from all directions at most speeds by most people (if you can remember back to school, think of Dopler Effect). As such, whilst any car is moving, the horn tone will change, so it is purely to stop 'The Imposters'.

I used to have an issue with my old Europa with the horns, as one would 'come in' after the other - technically an MOT fail - but if I pulled a wire off it was okay!

The confusing bit of the wording on the Regs is where it refers to 'Multiple Tones' - it would have been far better to refer to Simultaneous or Sequential tones....
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby epipete » Wed 12.11.2014, 11:06

Thanks again Dave, so does this mean that what I have bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Lotus-Elan ... 35d90fac37

are legal?

:bonk:
epipete
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 12.11.2014, 11:54

Yep - no problem....

...The Hi/Lo refers to the tones emmitted from each horn, but they play at the same time, so 1 continuous sound.
Dave

dapinky

Postby Megwenda » Wed 12.11.2014, 20:54

* edit. just noticed my samsung cant spell, 'nit onky' should be 'not only'

Nit onky legal, but looking at sheet 7 in the electric manual, the original Lotus horns also had one with a high and one with a low note, so you have the right ones
Last edited by Megwenda on Sat 15.11.2014, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Megwenda
Enthusiast

Postby epipete » Sat 15.11.2014, 11:57

Horns arrived with the mornings post. It occurs to me that the OEM Horns are independent of one another and are supplied with separate wiring, the new ones are also independent of one another which would suggest that the relay determines the firing sequence and as the originals fired simultaneosly then these should also!
epipete
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 15.11.2014, 12:20

Relay just means a small current is used, via the horn button, to close relay contacts designed for larger current.

Generally, the horns that play tunes used a single air compressor with a rotating disc with holes that allows air up a particular tube to a particular trumpet at the right moment.

Picture worth a thousand words - Image

I worked with a guy who was a 'right pain' about his Triumph Spitfire and always played 'Colonel Bogey' as he drove away so we swapped the tubes around on the trumpets to scramble the tune. He couldn't work out what had gone wrong, he had a Degree in Engineering too!

Since emergency service vehicles have used 2 tone sirens they've been illegal anyway - thank God!

Phil
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 15.11.2014, 13:52

:lol:

Pete,

Although the wiring is separate, the horns are both powered simultaneousely so don't worry, just whack 'em in.

Geoff - BSc(Eng) & a bit of common sense

Wiki diagram
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby epipete » Sat 15.11.2014, 14:07

That's as I figured Geoff, thanks.

And finally on this (t)horny topic! The Bracket, before I smack it with a hammer, is it meant to have a kink in it, mine looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
epipete
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 15.11.2014, 15:27

No!

17_03a horn.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby epipete » Sat 15.11.2014, 15:42

Pity really! The kink is so well 'engineered' it looks like it's meant to be there. It was looking at that pic in the manual that made me suspicious.

Oh well, let's go get a hammer and upset the neighbours!!!
epipete
God

Next

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.