Sat Nav Installation

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Sat Nav Installation

Postby Rob P » Mon 18.04.2016, 11:50

I am looking to utilise the area where the ash tray currently resides for something more useful and thought about a sat nav. Having looked around the forum and also reviewed a number of sites selling sat Nav's I seem to have drawn a blank on a suitable option with most Sat Nav's these days being far too big to fit into the dlot and my desire not to enlarge this in any way so as not to compromise the standard nature of my car (Lol if anyones knows my car they will understand the irony of that statement)

has anyone fitted a Sat Nav in this area? If so any guidance on type and ease of mounting it would be appreciated

Thanks
Rob P
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Re: Sat Nav Installation

Postby John_W » Mon 18.04.2016, 13:14

Rob,
I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back I'll post photos of my Garmin which is unobtrusive and sits neatly in the ashtray space.

I removed the ashtray by unclipping it and made up a small bracket out of sheet metal to allow a lightly butchered standard Garmin mount to be located on the vertical side of the ashtray hollow. The satnav then just clips on and is flush with the dash at the top, and angled up a little to help the driver see it and allow you to get fingers in at the bottom to switch it on and off and for unclipping it. The ashtray can be easily replaced if I want just by unscrewing my metal bracket.

Previously I had a TomTom One mount (clip only) screwed to the front of the ashtray, but it stuck out more and sometimes my knuckles hit the touch-screen when changing hear. The Garmin is much neater.

John
Last edited by John_W on Mon 18.04.2016, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 18.04.2016, 13:18

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6822&p=77232

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6718&p=76085

John_W wrote:…but it stuck out more and sometimes my knuckles hit the touch-screen when changing hear.

Pardon? :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby John_W » Mon 18.04.2016, 13:25

Damn autocomplete!
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 18.04.2016, 13:53

Rob

Alternatively you could buy a stereo/Bluetooth/DVD/CD/radio/USB media thingy like this with a folding screen. Single DIN fitting so will go in std radio slot.

OK you lose the top vents, but not really a problem in use. But I guess this doesn't solve your "I want to use the ashtray space" problem!!!!
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby HJ2 » Mon 18.04.2016, 17:12

Or try this:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18685

I still do and it still is the most perfect solution.
iPhone 4 or 4s comes cheap as chips these days :-)
Last edited by HJ2 on Mon 18.04.2016, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 18.04.2016, 17:26

Hi Rob. I bought a Sat Nav blind last year from Halfrauds. Cheapest I could get with European maps and lifetime updates. It was a Garmin. No idea what model but it fits the ashtray gap perfectly. No buggering about with brackets aka John W :poke: Just take the dashboard mount off and wedge it in. It must have been made for it :wink:

No more messing about with post it notes blowing blowing out of the cabin when the roofs down :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby V8vroom » Wed 20.04.2016, 13:31

picture please Rambo!

Which model of Garmin?
Lotus Elan S2 No. 513 Norfolk Mustard
V8vroom
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Wed 20.04.2016, 14:06

Sorry, no idea.

And I'm 2500 miles away right now so no pics either. Could get a few shots of some beach babes though :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Mike T » Thu 21.04.2016, 06:51

Rob,
I bought a spare ashtray from eBay, sawed off the angled grip on the front and sanded flush, drilled a hole in the centre to accept a standard 'ball end' sat nav bracket which was fitted from the inside with some small nuts and bolts.When fitted, from the front it looks like a flat plate with a ball projecting from the centre. Then it's just a case of clipping on a suitable sat nav mount to the ball. When not in use, you have the option of fitting the standard ashtray to keep things original.
Mike T

Postby Rob P » Thu 21.04.2016, 09:09

Cheers One and all, some very differing options to look at and I will review and assess each before progressing :D
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 21.04.2016, 13:52

I've had several cars with SatNavs and reckon Subaru Forester XTN has best position for a built-in unit, though on later models they've inexplicably moved it down.
As close to 'Head up display' as you can get is safest for driving. Wouldn't been keen on using the Elan's ashtray position myself.
xtn satnav.jpg

In my Elan I use a RoadAngel on a base permanently wired in and usually in 'GPS speedo' mode - it's far more accurate than the dash speedo. Easy to set for kph when in France too.
It's as close to a head up display as I can get and very safe to use as I can't reach it when driving. Have to pull up and undo seatbelt to get to it . :-D

satnav.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby John_W » Mon 02.05.2016, 14:58

Rob,
As promised, pictures of the Garmin in my Elan. Unlike Phil, I don't like a satnav or any other data screen in my direct line of sight when driving as I find it distracting. With it mounted in the ashtray, you can hear instructions and glance at it occasionally if need be.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Rambo » Mon 02.05.2016, 15:02

John_W wrote:Rob,
As promised, pictures of the Garmin in my Elan. Unlike Phil, I don't like a satnav or any other data screen in my direct line of sight when driving as I find it distracting. With it mounted in the ashtray, you can hear instructions and glance at it occasionally if need be.
John

Me too John. Much safer :burnout:

Mine looks much the same but it's just a push in fit. Works a treat. I still carry a road atlas though as I prefer the bigger picture ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 02.05.2016, 16:47

Rambo wrote:
John

Me too John. Much safer :burnout:

Mine looks much the same but it's just a push in fit. Works a treat. I still carry a road atlas though as I prefer the bigger picture ;-)

Ha ha... only safer if you NEVER look at your screen while driving. Bet you do.. :-D

The Subaru Satnav has the ability to go split screen and can scale down to '1/32 mile' (shows 55 yards on the screen) so can show how tight the next corner is and what immediately follows it... much safer if you know where the road is going before you get there.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 02.05.2016, 17:44

lotusflasherman wrote:... much safer if you know where the road is going before you get there.

I disagree with this in principle (even though it's off topic for the post!)....

It is only any help if the Satnav is 100% accurate to the existing road conditions, otherwise it leads to a confidence which is unfounded.

Also, it doesn't take into account any obstructions in the road....

...in summary, it leads a driver to think they know what to expect, and therefore they are more likely to enter a zone of invisibility at a speed which is inapropriately high.

It is MUCH safer to drive in accordance with the road that you can see 8)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rob P » Mon 02.05.2016, 21:29

John

Cheers John, looks neat. I have been fitting a pair of Jamie's rubber A Pillar seals this weekend but will look into this again in the weekends to come
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 03.05.2016, 10:44

dapinky wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:... much safer if you know where the road is going before you get there.

I disagree with this in principle (even though it's off topic for the post!)....

It is only any help if the Satnav is 100% accurate to the existing road conditions, otherwise it leads to a confidence which is unfounded.

Also, it doesn't take into account any obstructions in the road....

...in summary, it leads a driver to think they know what to expect, and therefore they are more likely to enter a zone of invisibility at a speed which is inapropriately high.

It is MUCH safer to drive in accordance with the road that you can see 8)

Agree with your final sentence Dave but not your interpretation of the use of Satnav info. A Satnav only turns a road you haven't driven on before into one where you have some idea where it's going.
The motto 'Always expect the unexpected' still applies... still got oncoming tractors so wide they use 2/3rds of the whole road, horses need to be passed slowly, pedestrians and cyclists given their roadspace!

A SatNav map is just yet another source of useful information ... like BT poles turning sharp right over the brow ahead etc. Even if it's accurate in plan view it doesn't give any guidance about the 'ups and downs' which are key to keeping a car 'in the right place, at the right speed' and if the road is falling away much less speed is a prerequisite before a corner.

The road approaching my village has a 'Z bend' sign tucked in the bushes on the hedgerow before a shallow left curve that goes over a slight brow and then a surprisingly tight 90°right turn down a steep (for Suffolk) hill. There used to be a field entrance straight on so there is a gap in the roadside trees that gives a subliminal impression the road is going straight on. Bit like Royston Vasey, it keeps strangers out. The 'chevron signs' are regularly taken out by cars not getting round but the Council have put them back on taller posts so they are visible a bit earlier. Reference to a Satnav map would indicate the road is going sharp right before drivers get anywhere near it.

As far as Satnav Installation goes, back on topic now, I still say a 'head up map display' for route guidance is preferable. The second Forester I bought came with an aftermarket Becker Radio Satnav that claimed to be fitted as OE in Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW & Porsche. I paid a HUGE amount of money for a CD update for UK & Europe but it was the biggest load of rubbish I've ever used. With silly little symbols appearing on the radio display it's use was predominantly audio as it was not safe to try to read the display due to size and position. Satnav use appears here after 1m 12secs in this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu6aBEOrql4

Audio only tells you the next immediate action but a map shows you what's coming up and you can drive with more anticipation. Try driving the Paris Périphérique at the busiest time - it can be 5 lanes with 2 exiting at major junctions and those 2 lanes start slowing and compressing before the Satnav says that's the exit needed. An occasional glance at a map display is all that's needed to be sure to be in the right lane to act on the audio as confirmation. Brit's whose Satnav is late warning them often get the "I won't let you in, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " treatment. Agincourt seems not to be forgotten. :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.