HID Dip Beams Conversion.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: HID Dip Beams Conversion.

Postby tigerdog » Sat 07.01.2017, 15:03

CalElan wrote:Great info here guys - I've been looking at improvement options for some time so reading with interest.

If you want HID, I firmly believe you must go with a new reflector/lens assembly - despite the post above, do not put an HID or LED element into a housing designed for Halogen bulbs. The photo just above is all the proof you need. In the Halogen photo, the beam pattern has a clear cutoff with a defined kink, as per ECE regulation. The same housing with HID has an undefined blob of light. Intense, yes, but a blob nonetheless and the absence of a clean cutoff means all that scatter is in the eyes of oncoming traffic. I'll stand by my earlier recommendation: quality E-code lamp assemblies with uprated halogen bulbs.

If you really want to be informed, join theautomotive lighting section in the candlepower forum. Read and follow the stickies at the top. Then pay close attention to the discussions regarding refits, etc. These guys are, to lighting, what this forum is to cars: some of the most intelligent, well-informed and well-spoken blokes on the Interweb.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby CalElan » Sun 08.01.2017, 21:13

awesome - thanks!
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Mon 09.01.2017, 12:53

tigerdog wrote:
CalElan wrote:Great info here guys - I've been looking at improvement options for some time so reading with interest.

These guys are, to lighting, what this forum is to cars: some of the most intelligent, well-informed and well-spoken blokes on the Interweb.

I thought we had them all over here on LEC!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby tigerdog » Wed 11.01.2017, 02:04

HJ2 wrote:I thought we had them all over here on LEC!

We do, almost. This is the only other web forum I've seen where the level of expertise matches our own group.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby antrap » Mon 31.07.2017, 05:14

I replaced all 4 headlights with 5-3/4 inch LED lights [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-5-3-4-inch-Round-H5001-H5006-Sealed-Beam-LED-Headlights-Flood-Spot-Beam-36W/182288785921?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649]www.ebay.com/itm/2X-5-3-4-inch-Round-H5001-H5006-Sealed-Beam-LED-Headlights-Flood-Spot-Beam-36W/182288785921?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649[/url] which are 10 times brighter/better than stock but may be illegal in the UK or elsewhere outside the U.S. (maybe inside the U.S., but I haven't been stopped yet). They are all the same lights (dip/main), but since they're aimed different, they work perfectly. They're even better than the HID's I have in my other car. By the way, I previously tried HID's with HORRIBLE results. The other advantage of the LED's is the longevity, since it's a a real PITA to remove the pods just to change the bulbs. Just make sure you seal the connections well since water incursion in heavy rain will likely cause a short if not done properly (as happened to me). I'll upload pictures soon.
If the Elan was so "over-engineered", why are these forums necessary?
antrap

Postby CalElan » Tue 01.08.2017, 01:31

I look forward to seeing some pictures - Honestly I'm not sure if I like the look of these lights so would like to see what they're like installed.
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Sat 05.08.2017, 19:49

Yes, any updates on these ?

Mind you - maybe a bit pointless if they are illegal in the UK ?!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 05.08.2017, 20:22

If anyone wants to see the eBay listing Click here
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 09.08.2017, 06:51

Would it be a goid idea to have these just as the full beam lights ? Hardly ever on but when you need them like when you are driving down an unlit country lane, they will light the place up ?

Do the main beam lights have the same regulations as the dipped beams ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby roy666 » Wed 24.01.2018, 23:34

Hi Guys - didn't want to start a new thread so stuck this on here. My dip beam headlight glass lens got smashed today.. so need a new complete unit. Perhaps now is the time to opt for a HID conversion, but still got to get a new headlamp unit from somewhere. Any ideas, thanks. MB
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Andy_J » Wed 24.01.2018, 23:40

if you are going to put in a HID you should be aware of the new MOT regulations coming in later this year.

'Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected'
90H BRG SE 48,000 Miles
90H Red SE 161,000 Miles - Breaking
56 Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE Black 83,000 Miles
Andy_J
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Thu 25.01.2018, 00:22

At this stage in the game (technology wise) you're better off looking at sealed LED units. They're getting pretty cheap and are at least as good if not better than an HID setup. I did the LGM HID conversion several years ago and have switched to a LED headlight which uses less power, has no "extra" equipment (ballast and ignitor) and should be approved for road use in most countries if you get one that's appropriately approved for your country.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby roy666 » Thu 25.01.2018, 08:08

Thanks for the advice. LED headlights that fit.. where did you source? ta M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Thu 25.01.2018, 08:22

roy666 wrote:Thanks for the advice. LED headlights that fit.. where did you source? ta M

Try this thread for someone who’s done it.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby clemo » Thu 25.01.2018, 09:38

New UK mot regulations to fail HID lights that are not fitted from factory.
Not sure how they would know on our limited run of cars but anyway.

Also MOT to now include reverse lights and other bits.
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby peteoddcar » Sun 28.01.2018, 20:39

I guess not many of you will be doing any MSA Road events in your Elans but if you did this is what is expected for a Road Rally Car in terms of lighting.
I regularly compete and scrutineer on 12 car rallies and historic road events and non factory fit LEDs one HIDs are a no no.

Interesting thread though.

Electrical Systems
18.5. Vehicles must have a maximum of four forward facing beams, as well as side and indicator lights, unless further restrictions are specified in SRs.
18.5.1. Light pods are not permitted!!!! (.Oer Mrs ! )
18.5.2. A headlamp must provide the main beam and
dipped beam functions.
18.5.3. An auxiliary lamp provides a beam other than that provided by the headlamp. With the exception of cars built before 1st January 1947 the maximum width of the lamp body of any auxiliary lamp must not exceed 222mm.
18.5.4. A headlamp may consist of a single reflector with a dual filament bulb, or separate reflectors each with single filament bulbs providing the functions of main beam and dipped beam separately. This will be considered as equivalent to a single dual filament headlamp unit. Lamp units comprising two reflectors where one is fitted with a dual filament bulb will be considered as a combined headlamp and auxiliary lamp. In this instance therefore no additional auxiliary lamps may be fitted.
18.5.5. Auxiliary lamps unless fitted as standard equipment using gas discharge or LED technology are not permitted and gas discharge or LED headlamp units may not be retro fitted.
18.5.6. Auxiliary lights must not be used in neutral sections except in poor visibility as permitted by law.
18.5.7. Where more than four beams are fitted as standard, only four may be used and the remainder must be rendered unusable for the duration of the event.
18.5.8. Vehicles must have all lights fitted and used according to motor vehicle lighting regulations.

And as has been said it’s a bit grey where the regs are concerned.
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 28.01.2018, 21:39

The latest UK position appears to be this and similar arguments (minus self levelling) presumably also apply to LEDs, so unless the unit of any exterior light is type approved, they are illegal under the RTA 1988.

Probably not going to affect anyone, but there appear to be insurance claims turned down because of LED number plate lights† which begs the question of what happens if you're unlucky enough to be involved in a fatal collision due to a driver being blinded?

† Doesn't apply to being blinded by drivers of modern (brake lights at eye level) vehicles which don't appear to be fitted with handbrakes, because they're type approved and that's all right as far as the law is concerned.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby peteoddcar » Sun 28.01.2018, 22:19

GeoffSmith wrote:The latest UK position appears to be this and similar arguments (minus self levelling) presumably also apply to LEDs, so unless the unit of any exterior light is type approved, they are illegal under the RTA 1988.

So there’s the answer Thanks Geoff
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.