What are these slots for?? - Daytime running lights

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

What are these slots for?? - Daytime running lights

Postby Toys2 » Sun 02.04.2017, 00:00

Hi, I was thinking about fitting some daytime running lights to increase the visibility of my BRG Elan on the dark and dirty lanes where I live

I'd prefer something that is hidden when not on, I've found some lights that would fit the cut outs in the bumper above the sidelights (see picture)
Then the thought crossed my mind that the cut outs wouldn't be there without a reason, are they for cooling?

These are the DRL's that I found, shorter than the slot, but a good fit height wise
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301672692662
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toys2

Re: What are these slots for?? - Daytime running lights

Postby Elanlover » Sun 02.04.2017, 03:07

Not for DRLs' as those weren't in vogue when the Elan was built. Just a design "gap" really. I have purchased the modules you've shown on eBay (one of a dozen purchases to test out possible DRL solutions) and I don't think they'll be noticeable enough on the car. I think your best bet would be to rewire the "parking lights" (whatever you might call them in the UK) so that they come on when the car is started instead of when you turn the lighting system on. Then find yourself a bright LED bulb to replace the dull incandescent one that's likely in there now.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Toys2 » Sun 02.04.2017, 10:29

Elanlover wrote:Not for DRLs' as those weren't in vogue when the Elan was built. Just a design "gap" really. I have purchased the modules you've shown on eBay (one of a dozen purchases to test out possible DRL solutions) and I don't think they'll be noticeable enough on the car. I think your best bet would be to rewire the "parking lights" (whatever you might call them in the UK) so that they come on when the car is started instead of when you turn the lighting system on. Then find yourself a bright LED bulb to replace the dull incandescent one that's likely in there now.

Thanks for the info, I didn't think that the slots were designed for DRL, just concerned that I might be blocking up some vents
I'd already ordered some of those lights before I'd even thought about it, so I'll have a dabble when they come in

I only picked up the car yesterday, but have already changed the sidelights to LED bulbs. The insides of the lenses and the reflects were pretty grimy, cleaning them will help

I was considering another cheap option for DRL, which is to fit higher wattage (or extra) LED's to the sidelight and use a DRL dimmer to dull to normal sidelights when the lights are turned on
Toys2

Postby Elanlover » Sun 02.04.2017, 13:13

I'm working on a new led based front indicator module for the FED version (the FED bumper is longer so the "well" the modules sit in is deeper) that will be of the "switchback" variety. In other words, the entire module will be white for DRL's but then flash yellow-off-yellow-off when the indicator is on then switch back to white. This way the entire module will be lit white or yellow (as the situation calls) and be easier to see. I've had the module shell 3D printed and installed the LEDs' but am now trying to get lenses made. I used this little module to provide the control and it will even dim the DRL's when the headlights are on provided you wire them up correctly.

Now, you could do something similar without a lot of custom work that would also be completely reversible to the stock configuration by doing the following:

1) get yourself some clear front lenses (search the forum to find the vendor that makes them for us)
2) take off the front bumper (not that difficult) to access the light modules in the front
3) replace the sockets that have 2 wires with ones that have 3 wires (wish I could remember the actual socket names right now)
4) shop eBay for the appropriate switchback bulbs that have both yellow and white in them and install
5) wire the module quoted above to provide the correct functionality and Bob's your uncle

Wiring up both bulbs in the front to act as both DRLs' and turn indicators with the module in the link will make for decent DRL's and better turn signal lights.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby simonbuk » Sun 02.04.2017, 23:36

Fitted here, good idea as look very neat but might not get them bright enough ?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24255&p=305553&hilit=Volcano&sid=eee342df8d9beba3bd1e7a053a83c59b#p305553

I totally agree about dark small cars and country roads, very difficult to be seen by others.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex, currently East Anglian Rivers.......

Postby Simon_P » Mon 03.04.2017, 01:08

The gaps are the fresh air ducts, not a great idea to block them.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 03.04.2017, 08:45

Simon_P wrote:The gaps are the fresh air ducts, not a great idea to block them.

I agree. Those Lotus "design gaps" were actually intended for cooling etc
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Giniw » Mon 03.04.2017, 12:01

(Interesting, I haven't realized that)
Giniw
God

Postby chrisP » Mon 03.04.2017, 14:20

Yes intakes for the ducts that run under (and reinforce) the clamshell - leading to the interior fan intake point - the foam rubber connector in the wheel arch
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 03.04.2017, 16:17

Save yourself money.

Just use the existing sidelights with a brighter bulb. But remember to turn them off when you park up. Or install a buzzer as Geoff Smith has done. Or go with Elanlovers suggestion of rewiring the lights to come on when the ignition key is turned
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Simon_P » Mon 03.04.2017, 19:21

Rambo wrote:Or install a buzzer as Geoff Smith has done.

Standard equipment on the S2 ;) but not a difficult mod on any car just a 12 v buzzer and 2 wires, one to the light switch and the ground to somewhere in the indicator circuit if my memory serves me correctly.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:09

You learn something new about the M100 every day. I was under the misapprehension that Geoff had retro fitted this, what with his electrical skills :oops:

It would certainly be a good retro addition to the SE. Ive forgotten how many times I've inadvertently left the side lights on over the years :oops:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby simonbuk » Mon 03.04.2017, 20:39

Can some lights be fitted behind the two smaller grills on the left and right hand side ? I know one of them feeds the intercooler but shouldn't take up much space ? Whether you can get behind it easily without taking the bumper off I don't know ?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex, currently East Anglian Rivers.......

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 03.04.2017, 21:01

simonbuk wrote:Can some lights be fitted behind the two smaller grills on the left and right hand side ? I know one of them feeds the intercooler but shouldn't take up much space ? Whether you can get behind it easily without taking the bumper off I don't know ?

The other feeds the oil cooler...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Toys2 » Mon 03.04.2017, 21:07

Thanks for all of the comments, I was sure that the slots wouldn't be there without a reason and I guessed that it might be cooling. I'll leave them as intended

I fitted some basic led bulbs in the sidelights, but have some better ones on order. I'll see how they go

A buzzer was on my todo list as I've nearly left them on a few times already
Toys2

Postby simonbuk » Mon 03.04.2017, 21:20

I know its not want you wanted but gives you an idea of an alternative. Fitted to my car by a previous owner I believe they have made me far more obvious down shaded A roads/country lanes. Definitely not going to remove them !!

simonbuk
God

Postby Toys2 » Tue 04.04.2017, 21:04

Simon, I do like the look, but I want to go for the original style if I can
Toys2

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.