Door and rearview mirror Harness connector locations ?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Door and rearview mirror Harness connector locations ?

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 12.08.2017, 07:41

Im currently tracing a parasitic drain on the car.

So far this has lead me to fix wiring into my drivers side door latch which made the switch work again.
but the drain continues.

I know the drain is in the interior lights circuitry and i also know its not in the delay module neither the boot lamp (removed both and drain continues)
in order to continue excluding possible causes i intend to find the harness connectors for the doors and rearview mirror trying to unplug them and see if the drain continues. but im having difficulty finding them.
in the electrical and workshop manual i cant find any reference to the location of the connectors.
although the wiring diagram suggests they exist.
can someone tell me where (or behind what) are the connectors highlighted in the attached picture?

1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: Door and rearview mirror Harness connector locations ?

Postby rip » Sat 12.08.2017, 08:11

Not sure about the door mirrors but the interior mirror is easy.
The panel under the header rail is held on with 4 screws. The lead attached to the mirror is only about 10" long so you can follow it back to the plug.
I removed mine about 3 weeks ago after the mirror fell off (again) & I didn't like driving home with it hanging.
It took about 5 minutes to get used to having no interior mirror!
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 12.08.2017, 09:40

Joao,

For the doors, the easiest (and maybe only) way would be to simply undo the multipin plugs where the door loom joins the dash/car loom.

Basically, they are the bits that you unplug when you take a door off the car....... found behind the lower dashboard, just inboard from the A pillar. If you see where the loom goes from door into the car, you will soon work out how high up the dashboard the wire emerges (although the body is double-skinned and the 2 holes are a few inches out of alignment) - the multi-pin plugs are about 6" into the car from that point and are usually just held up by cable ties.

On my car, I had to completely rewire the drivers' side system as that was where some 'engineer' had taken feeds for all the wiring for the alarm system, and some splices were on each side of the plug/socket so I couldn't get the door unplugged with it fitted - oh, and they'd done it with scotchloks as well..... nothing that an hour with a soldering iron and heatshrink couldn't put right, but more hassle than I could have done with whilst stripping the car down for it's paintjob.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby peteoddcar » Sat 12.08.2017, 13:31

That was all good advice.
Can you tell me the magnitude of the drain ? Are you measuring it at the fuse or the battery?
Ta!
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 12.08.2017, 15:16

peteoddcar wrote:That was all good advice.
Can you tell me the magnitude of the drain ? Are you measuring it at the fuse or the battery?
Ta!

0.6 milliamps. Measured at the battery.

I have found out and resolved the issue now, although it was completely unrelated to the interior lights circuit.

It appears the clever engineer that installed the alarm system in the car cross wired the radio purple wire into the interior lights circuit. The drain was actually on the usb phone charger that I installed by tapping into the radio live wire.

Removed the usb charger and drain is now on the 0.01-0.03 range.

One of these days I need to completely remove that alarm and put the wiring back to default, the thought of removing bits from the dashboard to be able to reach the wiring is not pleasant
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby peteoddcar » Sat 12.08.2017, 15:35

Good you found it seemed odd the interior lamp circuit would cause the drain - usually obvious a light :idea:

I took no less than 3 old alarm and immobiliser looms out of my car - a whole Sainsbugs carrier bag full. That was a long time ago - fitted a new Alarm, using the dedicated accessory fuse box near the battery.worth the effort to get things back to standard makes life so much easier if your car should develop any faults.
One thing I always found annoying on GM cars of that era was the lack of an accessory position on the ignition switch.
I have added a feed via a 5amp diode and switch in the glovebox to my audio so I can listen to the tracks with decent sound when tinkering.
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 12.08.2017, 19:27

Thanks for the help guys. just adding a couple of points in case someone searches this post looking for the same connectors.

Dave,

just for completeness sake in the picture at the bottom.
Is the yellow connector the one your referring to ?

Pete,

im not sure if some cars are supposed to be put together differently. or if a previous owner damaged your header panel, but i had to remove the sun shades and "softtop pegs" as well as 4 screws before being able to remove the header board

I removed the 4 screws you mentioned (red areas), as well as 2 screws for the shade + 3 for each "peg" (highlighted in blue)

for anyone reading this looking for the connector. i found mine close ish to one of the inner red screws behind some duck tape. (image at end.)

1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 12.08.2017, 19:39

Tuga2112 wrote:Dave,

Joao,
Colour means nothing to my memory! - I seem to remember that there was one plug on the drivers side, and 2 on the passenger side (but I was undoing so much at the time that I could be wrong). I know that when I was following the looms it was really obvious what had to come apart - but at the time I was merely disconecting the loom to remove the doors, so didn't really worry too much about the wire functions.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 12.08.2017, 19:53

dapinky wrote:
Tuga2112 wrote:Dave,

Joao,
Colour means nothing to my memory! - I seem to remember that there was one plug on the drivers side, and 2 on the passenger side (but I was undoing so much at the time that I could be wrong). I know that when I was following the looms it was really obvious what had to come apart - but at the time I was merely disconecting the loom to remove the doors, so didn't really worry too much about the wire functions.

Im not 100% sure i found the correct plug.
in the passenger side there are the 2 plugs in the picture. in the driver side i could only see one that looked the same as the yellow one.
the thing that makes me wonder if this is the correct plug is that in my car neither of these plugs have wires in the colors that the wiring diagram states are used in the door.

maybe someone else can confirm the plugs.

for the time being, i know i have a spaghetti mess over that side of the car due to the alarm installation that i want to fix up as soon as my other car is reliably on the road.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.