Stereo Dead

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Stereo Dead

Postby roy666 » Sun 20.05.2018, 17:29

Hi Guys - I was tidying up some elctrical connections and wires behind the back of the engine (the bunch that sit under the wiper mechanism).. and now my stereo is dead. No power to it, changed the fuse (No 8, 5amp, in passenger well), made no diference. Are there any other fuses asociated with the Stereo? This is just a coincidence..isn't it? ,.. there's no radio electrics behind the engine is there? cheers M
roy666
Enthusiast

Re: Stereo Dead

Postby Saltire » Sun 20.05.2018, 19:02

First question: are you SE or S2, because there are some wiring differences? However, as far as I know, there’s no radio wiring in the engine compartment.

According to my wiring diagram, fuse A8 is not used. The radio is powered off E1 and E2, which are in the battery compartment (SE) or the near side rear speaker enclosure (S2). If you don’t have power at all, I’d try these fuses first. I wonder if, in moving the wires in the engine compartment, you’ve inadvertently shorted something which has blown the fuses.

Just a thought: have you checked for a good earth from the radio to the chassis? And have you tried it with a temporary power feed from the battery to the radio? That would prove it’s a supply problem rather than a failure of the radio itself.

Failing all that, it’s probably out with the multimeter :shock:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Elanlover » Sun 20.05.2018, 19:22

roy666 wrote:Hi Guys - I was tidying up some elctrical connections and wires behind the back of the engine (the bunch that sit under the wiper mechanism).. and now my stereo is dead. No power to it, changed the fuse (No 8, 5amp, in passenger well), made no diference. Are there any other fuses asociated with the Stereo? This is just a coincidence..isn't it? ,.. there's no radio electrics behind the engine is there? cheers M

Anything else not working? Just wondering if you've managed to blow a Maxifuse.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby roy666 » Sun 20.05.2018, 20:26

Thanks Guys.. good food for thought. Everything else is ok... and I have an S2 (331). However, the stereo is wired up through the ingintion, when the ingintion is fully turned on (full turn of the key). I can't have the system on pre-ignition, like most radios do. This was all to do with the bluetooth mobile connect... so the guy who put it in told me! I'm at GST's tomorrow for service and MOT... I'll see if G has a quick fix. M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Sun 20.05.2018, 21:26

OK, so the standard wiring had been modified (I’ve done the same on my S2). Good idea to ask Gerald, but continue to shout if he can’t help.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby rip » Mon 21.05.2018, 08:41

roy666 wrote:However, the stereo is wired up through the ingintion, when the ingintion is fully turned on (full turn of the key). I can't have the system on pre-ignition, like most radios do.

This sounds normal. It was Vauxhall practise at the time. The early Mk3 Cavalier's radio worked with the ignition but had a battery save mode where you could switch it on without the key & it stayed on for just an hour. I don't think the ignition did anything on its Aux setting.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby rip » Mon 21.05.2018, 08:44

As an aside, my stereo worked poorly to start with. I could turn it on without the key but it had no memory for any tuned stations, last CD track played etc.
With the aid of a multimeter, I eventually found that this was because the red (should be switched power) & yellow (should be memory/permanent live) were the wrong way around. I have no idea whether it came out of the factory like that or someone previous to me put them back the wrong way around.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby roy666 » Tue 22.05.2018, 18:49

Hi Chaps - got it sorted... but it's a bit embarrassing to talk about really. I was sitting in the driver's seat thinking "WTF has happened here".... and I noticed that my dash lights were off (S2 has them on permanently as I'm sure you all know).. so I turned up the dash dimmer knob and the stereo came back on. Apparently, the ICE guru who wired my stereo has done so thruogh the dimmer knob.. or something like that!! Past the MOT btw. M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Giniw » Tue 22.05.2018, 20:48

Mine was wired to the ... brake pedal sensor to the rear lights ... It took me a while to figure that it was that particular unrelated fuse that was blown. Which means I had run the car without brake lights ... Oo
Giniw
God

Postby maz_r » Tue 22.05.2018, 21:32

roy666 wrote:Apparently, the ICE guru who wired my stereo has done so through the dimmer knob.. or something like that!!

If you haven't already, I think you should probably look into that and put it right - not sure the rheostat module is going to be able to cope with the power the stereo might draw...
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby Saltire » Tue 22.05.2018, 21:57

:agree: It won’t.

But good to know you’venderstood the problem - even if you haven’t sorted it yet.

The wiring should be relatively straightforward. You need:
    - a power feed which I’d love all the time. The standard one is a purple wire from fuse E1
    - an ignition controlled feed. The standard Elan wiring just takes this from the power feed above, but it’s better practice to have a proper feed from an ignition controlled fuse. I’ve taken mine from the back for the cigarette lighter, which goes to fuse A24
    - an earth. On the Elan, this is black as standard.

In the standard wiring, there’s also a feed to the aerial (powers an electric aerial or an amplified aerial). Your radio may also have a connection for instrument lights, which would dim the display when the instrument lighting is switched on. I suspect this is where your fitter has got confused - he probably didn’t realise our S2 lights are on all the time.

Good luck, and I’ll be at Castle Combe on Saturday if you want to see my connections.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby roy666 » Thu 24.05.2018, 18:53

J - thanks.., and I will be there. S2, Azure Blue, N reg...
roy666
Enthusiast

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.