Pop up lights have a mind of their own!

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Pop up lights have a mind of their own!

Postby AllenG » Tue 29.05.2018, 22:04

Hi folks, my car had been garaged for 7 years. I’m working my way through everything in prep for an mot. Have discovered my head lights just randomly pop up then down again. No key in ignition, doors closed......when they do pop up it’s both dipped beams on (outer lights) then they just pop down again. Timing can be anything from 30 seconds to 15 minutes between ‘flashes’.
Has anyone else encountered this, any thoughts on cause and cure? Thanks
AllenG

Re: Pop up lights have a mind of their own!

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 29.05.2018, 22:17

I know this is a generalisation, but on fibreglass cars the main culprit with electrical faults is poor earthing. So check all the earth connections.

Other things to consider are corroded connections to relays and plugs/sockets so check all those too.

Other more qualified electricians may well be here shortly, but above will give you a start.

Good luck.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 30.05.2018, 09:37

Hi Allen, well done for recommissioning the car, and sorry to hear about the problems.

First off, it might help to have a look at this recent thread, which describes a similar problem. Like John, I would look at earths first, especially as the car has been standing for so long. If it's the dip beams coming on, that kind of rules out a problem with the flasher switch (operates on the main beams).

Assuming all your earths are OK, I might begin to suspect a problem (again, given the amount of time the car's been standing) with either the pod lift module (PLM), or (less likely) the pod delay module (PDM). You'll see from the diagram which lotusflasherman posted in the referenced thread that the PLM has a permanent 12v supply, and if it's shorting out internally, may be the cause of your problem.

A good starting point would be to unplug the PLM and the PDM in turn, and see if the problem recurs. If it goes away, you've found the issue. If it doesn't, you'll need to look elsewhere, and we'll have to think again!.

If it's the PDM, the part no is B100M0110F MODULE, HEADLAMP POD DELAY, and SJ Sportscars has them. £12 plus carriage and VAT. The headlamp lift module is a rather less wallet-friendly £79.40: A100M6027F - MODULE, HEADLAMP LIFT, again from SJ Sportscars.

Finally, just a gentle nudge: it helps to put your location in your profile, because there may be another member close by who has a spare item you can borrow to try. To do this, select “User Control Panel” from the menu bar at the very top of the page, then the Profile tab, and fill in the Location box.

Hope this helps and good luck with the recommissioning :D
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 30.05.2018, 12:58

If it was my car.
unlike John and Jonathan advice. i would be looking for a short circuit. (has there been water near/on the car recently ?)

the reason is that from my experience. when theres a bad earth. something that is suposed to work, is not working.
where short circuits make things happen when they are not supposed to. (including parasitic battery drain)

from seeing the wiring diagrams of the elan, most places. a bad earth will open the circuit.

Ive had an issue with my blue elan sounding the horn for no reason after heavy rain. water is a good electric conductor, also over time it evaporates/runs past the area.

I had a very (like 30 second) look at the wiring manual for the light pods. and from it. i would be looking at the switch next to the key first, and folow from there to the delay module.
the wiring coming out of the delay module appears to manage the hedlaps in separate wires, so if both move at the same time. my guess is the issue is happening before that unit.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby AllenG » Wed 30.05.2018, 20:50

Thanks guys. Waiting for a new relay from SJ, need to check earth straps but waiting for approval to access the manuals online to get the various locations. Have been working on the car and noticed that when I reconnect the battery it can be 1 or 2 hours before the lights do their thing, then reduces in time to 30 seconds to a minute between ‘pop ups’. Starting to think something is overheating from a draw on the battery...will let you know how things go when I get the new relay and access to he manual to identify each earth point and check them. The car was dry stored and hasn’t been rained on or soaked for over 10 years. Thanks again.
AllenG

Postby CalElan » Wed 30.05.2018, 22:02

could you have had rodents in the electrics? Little buggers can cause some 'interesting' faults with their nibbling!
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Wed 30.05.2018, 22:41

AllenG wrote:Thanks guys. Waiting for a new relay from SJ, need to check earth straps but waiting for approval to access the manuals online to get the various locations. Have been working on the car and noticed that when I reconnect the battery it can be 1 or 2 hours before the lights do their thing, then reduces in time to 30 seconds to a minute between ‘pop ups’. Starting to think something is overheating from a draw on the battery...will let you know how things go when I get the new relay and access to he manual to identify each earth point and check them. The car was dry stored and hasn’t been rained on or soaked for over 10 years. Thanks again.

Allen

You should be able to access the manuals on Brit-car-nut’s site here.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby AllenG » Thu 31.05.2018, 13:57

Saltire wrote:
AllenG wrote:Thanks guys. Waiting for a new relay from SJ, need to check earth straps but waiting for approval to access the manuals online to get the various locations. Have been working on the car and noticed that when I reconnect the battery it can be 1 or 2 hours before the lights do their thing, then reduces in time to 30 seconds to a minute between ‘pop ups’. Starting to think something is overheating from a draw on the battery...will let you know how things go when I get the new relay and access to he manual to identify each earth point and check them. The car was dry stored and hasn’t been rained on or soaked for over 10 years. Thanks again.

Allen

You should be able to access the manuals on Brit-car-nut’s site here.

Thanks Jonathan, that’s a great help. Really appreciated. Allen
AllenG

Postby AllenG » Sat 02.06.2018, 16:51

Nothing ever simple with the Lotus, got a pod delay module and a pd life module from SJ, fitted both this morning. Initially only the driver pod lifted, unplugged and the reconnected the lift module, both pods lifted but the passenger side pod motor continues to run for approx five seconds after the pod is lifted, same when pod lowers. Have emailed SJ to ask if they could send another lift module. Not sure if there is a problem with the replacement module from SJ as this is a new symptom. :bonk:
I have unplugged the lights as am concerned this overrunning of the motor will damage the lift gears.
AllenG

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 02.06.2018, 17:13

Usually, if the motor keeps on running after it is raised or lowered, the pellets in the motor have disintegrated.

The WIKILEC has an article that will get you started: http://wikilec.com/view/Light_motors
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby alan e » Sat 02.06.2018, 17:20

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Usually, if the motor keeps on running after it is raised or lowered, the pellets in the motor have disintegrated.

The WIKILEC has an article that will get you started: http://wikilec.com/view/Light_motors

:agree:
And its a cheap fix to
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 02.06.2018, 18:18

A good source for the kits or other parts is http://elanm100.com/web-shop

Wayne is an LEC member and has been supplying parts at an affordable price for the M100 for a long time.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Sat 02.06.2018, 19:33

:agree: likely to be a separate problem, and Brit-Car-Nut’s advice should (as always) be heeded. What he doesn’t know about British sports cars simply isn’t worth knowing :bowdown:
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby AllenG » Sat 02.06.2018, 20:29

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:A good source for the kits or other parts is http://elanm100.com/web-shop

Wayne is an LEC member and has been supplying parts at an affordable price for the M100 for a long time.

Parts just ordered from Wayne, agree have had a number of items from him over the years, always good. Thanks for the advice
AllenG

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.