One light pod only raises after initial manual intervention

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

One light pod only raises after initial manual intervention

Postby elaverick » Tue 19.06.2018, 08:28

Hi,
I had my light pod motors rebuilt by a local garage using one of the reconditioning packs from SJS a few months back to solve the fluttering issue. It worked well to begin with, but now I have to manually raise one of the pods first using the hand turn before I can get it to raise via the light switch. Without manual intervention it just sits there, no motor spinning nothing. The other pod raises fine. After a raise and lower via the manual method it will raise and lower quite happily via the switch. Any ideas?

Thanks
Edward
elaverick

Re: One light pod only raises after initial manual intervent

Postby Saltire » Tue 19.06.2018, 11:23

If you can’t hear the motor spinning, that implies no voltage is reaching it. I wonder if perhaps they’ve disturbed the electrical connection to the motor, and manually raising the pod pulls it back into alignment enough for the motor to spark into life. I’d start by thoroughly cleaning the connectors and checking for a really good earth. Or just take the car back to the garage and say “Used to work. Doesn’t now. Sort it :chair:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby wayne » Wed 20.06.2018, 19:59

Hi Edward,

When you say manual intervention, do you mean that you have to turn the manual raise knob slightly before it will raise up electrically?
Did the SJ kit also include the gear?

If so I had the same problem with a motor a couple of years ago. I had fitted new drive bushings and a cheap new gear that I bought off ebay.
I occasionally had to give the manual knob a flick before the motor would kick in and raise the headlight.

After replacing the gear with a good quality one that I bought from a company in the US the problem disappeared.

May also be worth checking that the contacts on the headlight module are free from corrosion.

or as Saltire says, take it back to the garage and say “Used to work. Doesn’t now. Sort it “

Let us know how you get on.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
Fanatic

Postby elaverick » Thu 21.06.2018, 09:00

wayne wrote:When you say manual intervention, do you mean that you have to turn the manual raise knob slightly before it will raise up electrically?
Did the SJ kit also include the gear?

If I turn the manual raise knob and lift it a bit, it will then raise and lower completely from the switch as many times as you like as long as you keep the engine running. It's only after it's sat inbetween sessions that it needs turning again. I need to test it tonight and see if just switching off the electrics after a successful go is enough to get it jammed again (in which case I'd suspect something electrical) or whether it's the period of it sitting that's giving it problems (mechanical issue).
Not sure if the SJ kit included the gear or not, but thanks to a stroke of luck I happen to have a spare kit I can check with (it wasn't a stroke of luck at all, I misread the item and didn't realise it had parts for both motors...)

The connectors look clean to me, but I am devoid of a multi-meter to check it properly. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I shall have a play and report back.
elaverick

Postby tigerdog » Sun 01.07.2018, 23:26

Since yours work after the first lift, I wonder if there's just enough corrosion to cause hinge stiction after sitting, but free up after being worked a bit. When I refurbished Smaug's light pods (how many years ago???) I was very surprised by just how stiff the hinges were. Working the hinge by hand took more than a little effort, so there was definitely strain on the motors, etc. This, on a lifelong California car, too. While I had the pods out, I gave the hinges a good shot of penetrating oil, lots of back-and-forth working and a good cleaning. They went from difficult to move, to butter smooth. This, and a dab of grease on all the pivots of the lifting mechanism, and they are still without issue (knock on wood...)
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby daveiow » Mon 02.07.2018, 17:53

I have suffered exactly the same issue with mine after refurbishment with new gears from Rodney Dickerman (?)
They work perfectly and then seem to need loosening off after a period of inactivity :?
I will give everything a good grease up and see if it improves :D
David
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone but not forgotten
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby elaverick » Tue 03.07.2018, 08:04

Yeah good advice, I shall give it a go a let you know how I get on.
elaverick

Postby John_W » Tue 03.07.2018, 15:40

If this is a Rodney Dickman gearset, is the issue related to Ailwyn’s thick gear problem of 11 years ago?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9768&start=110

http://www.rodneydickman.com/88FieroHeadLightGears.html
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 11.07.2018, 15:01

elaverick wrote:Hi,
I had my light pod motors rebuilt by a local garage using one of the reconditioning packs from SJS a few months back to solve the fluttering issue. It worked well to begin with, but now I have to manually raise one of the pods first using the hand turn before I can get it to raise via the light switch. Without manual intervention it just sits there, no motor spinning nothing. The other pod raises fine. After a raise and lower via the manual method it will raise and lower quite happily via the switch. Any ideas?

Thanks
Edward

this will sound pretty silly but i had a somehow similar problem very recently when i fitted back the bonnet.
turned out the pod was catching on the bonnet which was not aligned properly and wouldt start the motion, if forced that point it would move.

i would just double check the clearance when pods start to move to make sure it doesnt catch anywhere
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby timlot » Fri 10.08.2018, 13:33

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to the excellent advice on here along with the super YouTube video. I watched the video, bought the repair kit from S&J Sports Cars, ground off the wheel arch liner bolts as suggested (no way would they come off) and re-fitted everything with fresh bolts, rawlnuts etc and hey-presto all works fine, both headlamps lift correctly - including on flash.
Thanks chaps.
Tim
timlot

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.