Bar gauge light cover

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Bar gauge light cover

Postby Portugal_lotus » Sat 28.12.2019, 03:33

Hi friends ,
Somehow my Bar Gauge is loosing the black paint which
Cover the interior lamp , anyone knows a solution for this
Or the solution it’s to buy a new one ?

Happy new year to all
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Portugal_lotus

Re: Bar gauge light cover

Postby rip » Sat 28.12.2019, 09:14

Are they available? I am not sure they are.
I have aftermarket ones to go on mine, but I have had them about 3 years & not fitted them yet. I am a bit nervous of doing so because I could break the needles when taking them off or lose calibration when fitting them. I have read somewhere that the old dials have a habit of sticking so may get damaged when removed.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby MarkP » Sat 28.12.2019, 15:33

I have the same issue but just on the turbo gauge. All the rest are fine. For the time being I have put that on the might get round to it eventually list. Would be interested to hear what solutions there are.
MarkP

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 28.12.2019, 15:58

rip wrote:Are they available? I am not sure they are.
I have aftermarket ones to go on mine, but I have had them about 3 years & not fitted them yet. I am a bit nervous of doing so because I could break the needles when taking them off or lose calibration when fitting them. I have read somewhere that the old dials have a habit of sticking so may get damaged when removed.

SJs has new gauges: A100M0018F at £59.20. They went obsolete in July 2017.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 28.12.2019, 16:23

would the gauges be the same as the ones on some period Gm car ? i was thinking possibly the impulse or cavalier or geo storm, i think you get where im coming from.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 28.12.2019, 16:27

Tuga2112 wrote:would the gauges be the same as the ones on some period Gm car ? i was thinking possibly the impulse or cavalier or geo storm, i think you get where im coming from.

Geo Storm never had a Turbo and not many other GM cars that they borrowed parts from did either.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 28.12.2019, 16:37

I suggest using a "Sharpie" black indelible felt pen or something similar

It might be a "Blue Peter" approach but it might save you £££
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby TorqueHorse » Fri 05.06.2020, 04:36

I had the same problem with the black paint 'crazed' and it was also peeled away around the outer edge. So I decided to see what I could do, because I wasn't finding anything that looked remotely like it, and $100 after shipping is a lot, for where Rosie is in her rehabilitation.
OilGauge.jpg

I recreated the dial on the computer and printed out a new 'face' and placed it directly over the old one. I was having a time wrestling with the color settings of my printer to match the orange, so in the end I just printed the black part onto a piece of orange construction paper that I had in the house (kids finally pay off!) that was actually a pretty good match. And since it is paper, I hit it with fixative spray on both sides to knock down the water absorption (hopefully). Daytime, you can't tell the difference (yet).
oilDay.jpg

Nighttime is a different story, where it is pretty muted except for where the paint was already coming off the dial. I'll live with this for a while and see if any other ways to improve it spring up in the meantime. And fallback is always just get a new one :).
oilNight.jpg

If anyone else wants to try their luck with this too, here are the files. FYI, the background is overprinted and you can cut down to size. The scale is probably off too depending on your printer. I've got little key marks in there for where the screws go into the face, or you could use anything else for a reference, to measure and scale down your print appropriately. Once scaled and cut to size, to fit it on your face plate, I cut a hole about the diameter of a fat pencil where the needle pivot is, and then a slit from the hole to the nearest outside edge. That enables you to work it around the needle, without having take it off. Then with it in place how you want it, I rubbed on the paper over the screw points to find exactly where they were, took the paper back off and then cut tiny holes for the screws. Then I placed it on, one screw at a time, so that there was always one screw remaining in the dial face to keep everything in place. Good luck!
With Orange https://i.imgur.com/Ny6kUMa.png
Just Black https://i.imgur.com/8nmmzTa.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 05.06.2020, 08:10

funny to see this posted today,
just yesterday i removed the oil temp gauge to change its bulb, also found the white plastic broken.
i used some RTV sealant (i know its overkill, but it was already opened) to reseal the enclosure afterwards, because if you dont you will get water droplets inside in the winter. (it happened to me)
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.