Exhaust advice and vidios please

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Exhaust advice and vidios please

Postby DavieBow » Thu 22.12.2016, 22:19

Hi Guys ,
gonna be taking the plunge and going for a new exhaust in the next few days .
I like the sound (if you pardon the pun ) of the PNM one , don't mind it being a bit noisy but i also like the idea of a the piper down pipe .

does anyone know if the piper down pipe will fit onto the PNM exhaust ? or am i better just going for the complete piper system ? The sound is the main thing for me , i do like something with a bit of noise and popping and banging .

I have fitted an Elanchip too so with either exhaust can expect this boost creep issue ?

Finally does anyone have any videos of their Piper / cybox / PNM exhausts please as i'd like to hear them before i go ahead and make my final decision .

Cheers
Dave
Elan SE , Mk1 Mx5, Celica GT4, Mk1 Golf Gti Cab,Vw Camper van, Daimler 250 V8, Ferrari 348
DavieBow
Tinkerer

Re: Exhaust advice and vidios please

Postby Rambo » Thu 22.12.2016, 23:33

I have had experience of all 3 very good custom made exhausts

I was hot off the block when Geoff had a lot to do with organising the PECO complete S/S system (now Cybox - PECO now unavailable) I drove all the way down from Edinburgh to PECO in Liverpool and had the 3rd exhaust off the production line fitted for free. Great sound, great system and I chose the uncircumcised system, ie the one with the inner tailpipe.

I currently have the Piper system on my NMY and the Cybox (PNM) system on the Black Beastie

Overall, I prefer the Piper system for throaty roar and general fit - the rear tailpipe sits much better in the oval slot in the rear bumper, a minor annoyance that also affected the PECO system

The Piper system is quite a bit more than the Cybox set up but I would have no hesitation in recommending either. It all comes down to £££

PS There is also a Quicksilver system and, I believe an SJS system, but I have no experience of these
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Rambo » Thu 22.12.2016, 23:37

Incidentally, as you have an Everest chip in your car you would be recommended to get the wastegate ported to prevent the possibility of any boost creep :burnout:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby DavieBow » Thu 22.12.2016, 23:43

I'm thinking of getting the turbo hybridised and wastegate ported at the same time ,
Do you have any videos of the exhaust sounds by any chance ?
Elan SE , Mk1 Mx5, Celica GT4, Mk1 Golf Gti Cab,Vw Camper van, Daimler 250 V8, Ferrari 348
DavieBow
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Fri 23.12.2016, 00:21

DavieBow wrote:I'm thinking of getting the turbo hybridised and wastegate ported at the same time ,
Do you have any videos of the exhaust sounds by any chance ?

Sorry, my phone's not nearly smart enough :(

However, for me, best sound is the Piper but best for fizzing, popping, banging, scaring OAPs etc.. was the PECO. If you go with the PNM Cybox set up don't bother with the extra back box. It will be far too quiet for you
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 23.12.2016, 01:09

Rambo wrote: PS There is also a Quicksilver system

Yes indeed, but maybe should be "There was". I have the prototype Quicksilver M100 system on my SE on SORN that was organised by Hanger111 who are my closest Lotus people and a Quicksilver agent. The front section wasn't flattened quite enough and rattled against the underframe so I heated it up with oxy-acetylene and bent it to get clearance. Gave the OE pipe to Hanger 111 who sent it to Quicksilver and I then got a correctly flattened front section from Quicksilver which is still in the bubble-wrap. Beautifully made and lovely sound but gave me 'boost creep' - but don't they all? When they listed the M100 exhaust at nearly twice what I'd paid I thought 'they won't sell many at that price' and after a couple of years it had disappeared from their list so doesn't seem to one of the options.

I have a Haywood & Scott system on my Subaru Forester that is a superb improvement, sound and power, and cheaper than the Subaru OE system. I collected it and got my friend at the local 'tyre & exhaust company' to fit it and he commented on how it went "straight down the middle" - excellent fit with no clearance problems. While collecting I asked them if they could do M100 Elan and they said 'bring it in for the day and we'll make one to fit."
Might do one day as it seems they enjoy interesting projects ...www.haywardandscott.com/gallery

They are in Basildon, Essex so anybody in Essex, London or Kent could consider them an option.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Fri 23.12.2016, 09:51

I have the Piper system and wouldn't change it.

Hayward and Scott used to be one of the options in the early days, several regulars on here had them, I think they even made a PCE at one point.
Simon_P
God

Postby Artaban » Fri 23.12.2016, 10:16

Dave,
Put in "Lotus M100 Exhaust" into the youtube search box and you'll hear a couple on there. Personally I think the sound needs to be heard in person as recordings won't capture the depth of the sound. Might be worth attending one of the regional meets in the new year, presuming you can hear a couple of different ones to make the trip worthwhile. I've got the PNM exhaust with the extra silencer which has a low rumble but still pops and bangs and is less intrusive on longer journeys. Its all a matter of taste. Highly likely that you'll have to port the wastegate.
Andy
If a man speaks in the forest and there's no woman to hear him is he still wrong?
Combat global warming; leave your fridge door open.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Fri 23.12.2016, 10:31

Good advice Andy. The video clips with exhaust noises definitely don't do the exhausts justice. Much better to get 1st hand experience by trying/hearing a few cars with different alternatives

A great pity that the Donington Lotus event isn't on the calendar any more. Not only was it good for LEC socially, it was also an excellent venue for just this - listening to exhausts, driving cars, tyre kicking, exchanging and buying parts etc....

And it even had a bar inside :cheers:
Rambo
MacAffro

Return to Exhaust