Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Confirmation:S2s need a cat if first registered post 31/

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 25.09.2014, 17:21

Following on from the information in Paul's post #39.....

Mine failed it's CO levels yesterday but I realised they had tested it closed loop with the lower limits. I went back today and went through it again with the workshop manager who had performed the test as my usual tester was on holiday. With reference to the VOSA flowchart, the process was:

1. Perform BET test. FAIL.

2. Is it a passenger car? Yes.

3. First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/95? Yes.

4. Exact match in Emissions book? No.
…… a) VIN after RHA26000? Yes.
…… b) Engine VIN ZT1? Can't tell as it is illegible under all the grime. †

5. Perform non CAT test. PASS.

† The tester is not allowed to move or clean anything to determine the engine number.

The bottom line is that mine has been passing the MoT according to the letter of the law, but if I clean the engine, I will have to fit a cat.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15500
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Confirmation:S2s need a cat if first registered post 31/

Postby rip » Thu 25.09.2014, 23:00

Trust you to find an excuse not to clean your engine :-D
1990 SE
User avatar
rip
God
 
Posts: 5867
Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
Location: Milton Keynes, UK

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 26.09.2014, 09:52

:D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15500
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Confirmation:S2s need a cat if first registered post 31/

Postby clemo » Wed 15.03.2017, 22:03

GeoffSmith wrote:Following on from the information in Paul's post #39.....

Mine failed it's CO levels yesterday but I realised they had tested it closed loop with the lower limits. I went back today and went through it again with the workshop manager who had performed the test as my usual tester was on holiday. With reference to the VOSA flowchart, the process was:

1. Perform BET test. FAIL.

2. Is it a passenger car? Yes.

3. First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/95? Yes.

4. Exact match in Emissions book? No.
…… a) VIN after RHA26000? Yes.
…… b) Engine VIN ZT1? Can't tell as it is illegible under all the grime. †

5. Perform non CAT test. PASS.

† The tester is not allowed to move or clean anything to determine the engine number.

The bottom line is that mine has been passing the MoT according to the letter of the law, but if I clean the engine, I will have to fit a cat.




IS this still the case Geoff?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
User avatar
clemo
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 5045
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 23:24
Location: TORQUAY Devon. Cream first then Jam obviously.

Re: Confirmation:S2s need a cat if first registered post 31/

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 15.03.2017, 22:24

clemo wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:Following on from the information in Paul's post #39.....

Mine failed it's CO levels yesterday but I realised they had tested it closed loop with the lower limits. I went back today and went through it again with the workshop manager who had performed the test as my usual tester was on holiday. With reference to the VOSA flowchart, the process was:

1. Perform BET test. FAIL.

2. Is it a passenger car? Yes.

3. First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/95? Yes.

4. Exact match in Emissions book? No.
…… a) VIN after RHA26000? Yes.
…… b) Engine VIN ZT1? Can't tell as it is illegible under all the grime. †

5. Perform non CAT test. PASS.

† The tester is not allowed to move or clean anything to determine the engine number.

The bottom line is that mine has been passing the MoT according to the letter of the law, but if I clean the engine, I will have to fit a cat.




IS this still the case Geoff?


"The Jury is still out" - there is a school of thought that Geoff was fortunate to browbeat the tester ... thread here -forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25673#p324979
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
User avatar
lotusflasherman
God
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Fri 05.09.2008, 00:14
Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby valimar » Sat 18.09.2021, 06:18

Hello Geoffsmith, this is my first post after a long time and I hope you can help me.
I have a Lotus Elan Turbo SE LHD non cat that for the first didn’t pass MOT. First registration is from 17-09-1992 and the VIN is SCC100ZT1MHH18279. The inspectors by the MOT in Portugal say that even if my car doesn´t have a cat, the emission has to be lower than 3.5%. They also say that EU legislation changed short ago. I still think they commit a mistake and test the CO like my car having a cat installed. I have a clean K&O air filter and because of Covid I almost didn’t´ drive this year. During the inspection the car was fully warm up for more then 5 minutes but CO didn´t go lower than 3.5%. As you can see the VIN is ZT1 as you mention in your post. My question is: am I right in protesting about the testing procedures? In case not, do I have to try to change the potentiometer value or perhaps clean the injectors with some product? Sorry for the long post but I’ll appreciate your help.
valimar
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri 09.09.2005, 22:00
Location: Portugal, Algarve

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby Rambo » Sat 18.09.2021, 08:51

Valimar - the CO on my yellow M100 is usually quite high but it always passes our MOT testing procedures (<3.5% CO)

A bit of twiddling may be required. Try this http://wikilec.com/view/CO_adjustment

Good luck :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 8651
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Heriot

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 18.09.2021, 10:48

To confirm Rambo's post:
1) the (UK) max for emissions for non-cat cars is 3.5%. Cat equipped cars have an even lower pass mark.

2) Fiddling the pot is the first step, as detailed in wikiLEC.

You have already got the car up to running temperature (cycle the fans on and off a couple of times) :D

Cleaning air-filter and/or replacing, as well as using a injector cleaner will help as you indicated.

Final route, if all above fails, is to go closed loop, by-passing completely the CO pot. Again see wikiLEC: http://wikilec.com/view/Converting_SE_t ... d_loop_ECU . However this involves changing the chip or ECU which may prove a little difficult sourcing. See Mountain Chips tab at top of page. Plenty of threads on here about that!

I went closed loop, readings dropped from around 3.2% to 0.8%!! So that does work.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby valimar » Sat 18.09.2021, 11:27

Thank you All for the quick answer and I will follow your precious advices!
I still have 10 days to go to MOT to be retested!
Regards from sunny Albufeira, Rodrigo
valimar
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri 09.09.2005, 22:00
Location: Portugal, Algarve

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby Rambo » Sat 18.09.2021, 16:04

Fredjohn wrote:To confirm Rambo's post:
1) the (UK) max for emissions for non-cat cars is 3.5%. Cat equipped cars have an even lower pass mark


I think for S2 M100's (ie with cat) the MOT pass rate may be as low as < 0.3% CO IIRC John :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 8651
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Heriot

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby Dave Eds » Sat 18.09.2021, 18:01

Rambo wrote:
Fredjohn wrote:To confirm Rambo's post:
1) the (UK) max for emissions for non-cat cars is 3.5%. Cat equipped cars have an even lower pass mark


I think for S2 M100's (ie with cat) the MOT pass rate may be as low as < 0.3% CO IIRC John :shock:



Good job Rodrigo has an SE then :wink:
Spud

'92 NM SE, '10 Evora NA now gone '90 Calypso SE now sold '62 Wolseley 1500


Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
User avatar
Dave Eds
Moderator
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Thu 05.01.2006, 22:59
Location: Wadesmill, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Re: Confirm:S2 needs cat if first registered post 31/7/95

Postby Saltire » Sat 18.09.2021, 20:31

Rambo wrote:
Fredjohn wrote:To confirm Rambo's post:
1) the (UK) max for emissions for non-cat cars is 3.5%. Cat equipped cars have an even lower pass mark


I think for S2 M100's (ie with cat) the MOT pass rate may be as low as < 0.3% CO IIRC John :shock:


This is my print-out from a couple of years ago on the S2:
EBF7AB0F-F25C-4F45-86FE-BD8498CBC52E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2016 BMW 440i MSport - “The Beige Bombshell”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Previous

Return to Exhaust

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest