PECO exhaust noise

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: PECO exhaust noise

Postby nicowalker1 » Mon 14.04.2014, 18:00

Id be interested to know aswell. Love the noise when 'playing' on country roads but its slightly annoying on a long run
nicowalker1
God

Postby Artaban » Tue 15.04.2014, 16:36

The Peco/Cybox/PNM Exhaust are all one and the same. Cybox are just 10 mins from PNM and just before Christmas I had my exhaust fitted with the additional silencer. Previously when I was in PNM having some other work done I heard the Cybox on another car and thought it was a little too loud for my taste. I like a throaty exhaust but it needs to suit the car otherwise it can end up a bit like a Chav'a'Nova. I asked Pete if they could quieten it down a bit so he had a word with Cybox and they decided to experiment a bit with my car. In the end they placed the second silencer at the rear of the straight run. The front end of it is level with the seat mounting bolts (rear) and it extends back about 16 inches to just before the 90 degree bends that take it into the rear silencer. Clearance isn't really compromised because the silencer isn't that much bigger in diameter than the main pipe.

To me the sound suits the car perfectly. It has a definite purposeful rumble on tickover and a nice throaty roar on acceleration. The sound suits the performance being more aggressive than I've heard from other sports cars of a similar size but its not intrusive. Doesn't sound like the car is trying to be powerful when it isn't like you get with some hatchbacks. I'm afraid I can't answer your query about it on a long motorway runs as I haven't done many trips in it. Since Christmas I've had HiSpecs fitted on the front, PNM rear callipers on the back and at the moment the seats are out and being connollised by Leathercare Renovations in Warrington. With the weather and all this going on I've not had much chance to test out the noise levels at motorway speeds other than quick blasts up and down the M53 to PNM. Performance is definitely not compromised as it goes far better than it did and doesn't feel choked anymore. Boost creep is apparent under hard sustained acceleration and I can now induce fuel cut off easily in third so thats another thing to add to the list of work to do. At the moment I control it with my right foot.

I'm in Chester so if anyone wants to hear it I can meet up with them anywhere in the locality or even at Cybox or PNM premises with sufficient notice.

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby mitreklov » Tue 15.04.2014, 23:32

Thanks Andy that's really helpful and confirmed my suspicions about the source of these exhausts.
When they fitted the second silencer to your car did they weld it into the existing straight pipe or use some kind of clamp joint either side, I ask as I'm interested to know if this is something I could retro fit myself. I'm guessing the quieter system sold by PNM could be based on the experiment they did on your car.

I'll try to get around to calling CYBOX tomorrow.

Tim
In-between Elans right now
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby Artaban » Wed 16.04.2014, 10:54

The silencer has been welded in line and looking at it more closely its not something you could do without removing the exhaust first. PNM only started advertising the extra silencer on their website after mine was fitted so i think i was the prototype; at least with the silencer in this position. I have seen others where the second silencer feeds straight into the back box but I don't think those were the Cybox exhaust. You could ask them why they chose to fit it where they did; they'll have a good reason I'm sure.

Best of luck.

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby chrisP » Tue 20.05.2014, 17:01

Tim
Did you have any joy talking to Cybox regarding an extra retrofit silencer?

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby mitreklov » Tue 20.05.2014, 19:12

Chris

A very timely post...

To be honest I only got around to contacting last week and I finally received a call back from them this afternoon.

I explained that I would like see if it was possible to reduce the exhaust boom somehow and would it be possible to retrofit an additional silencer to the Cybox/Peco system fitted on my car.
The very helpful chap explained that they had fitted a resonance reducer, not really a full silencer to other M100's at the factory. Since I don't live near Liverpool that's not really an option for me and I was looking for a solution I could fit locally if they could supply a new section with the reducer already inline. He said he would need to check with their engineering department to see if they had patterns of the mods done previously and then he'd call me back and that's where we left it.

When I get an answer I'll report back.

It does sound like something can be done but it could be a bespoke solution rather than an off the shelf upgrade part.
Although if they sell a solution through PNM you'd hope they have the patterns to make more.

Tim
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby chrisP » Thu 22.05.2014, 18:04

Thanks, for the details Tim.

Here's hoping that there will be a retrofit part, as that's exactly what I'm looking for. Cybox do stock 4" silencers according to their website so I would assume that its one of these that they have fitted. If it comes down to it I might have to buy one of these and get it wielded into the system.

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby mitreklov » Thu 22.05.2014, 21:54

I haven't heard back from Cybox yet I think i'll have to give them a prod tomorrow.

I mentioned the universal silencers during my last conversation but apparently that's not what they fitted in the past, he called it a resonance reducer or dampener or something along those lines. Whatever it is it does not effect the gas flow too much.

Tim
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby mitreklov » Tue 08.07.2014, 11:45

I finally made some progress with Cybox today.
Cybox got back to me today and said they could do a replacement middle section of the system with the additional silencer in place. Price quoted is £78 delivered so I went ahead and ordered one which should be with me this week.
I'll take a few pictures and share them for reference.

Watch this space.

Tim
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Tue 08.07.2014, 14:04

Good stuff!

As an interesting side note:
1. Since i changed my set of injectors for a new set, the exhaust is a lot less noisier. It is still boomy, but without the sharp edge on top.
2. I noticed that the most front welded hanger (where the hanger rubber goes) mildly touches the heat shield underneath the car. I intend to dremel it off, as soon as my car lift is repaired (don't ask...) I suspect that it will reduce the boom significantly.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby mitreklov » Tue 08.07.2014, 14:16

I would never have thought changing injectors would have made a difference, but you never can tell.

I think you may have invented a new verb " to dremel" I'm pretty sure we all know what it means! :P
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby mitreklov » Sat 12.07.2014, 17:05

I got the delivery from Cybox during the week and I fitted it today. Cybox sent me a short 90º pipe section with a small diameter silencer in line, see picture. There were no instructions but it was pretty clear it should replace the pipe just behind the back box. This meant removing the main silencer and cutting the pipe leaving a 60mm tail to connect to the new section and secure with the clamp supplied. There is a new hanging bracket supplied that clamps around the new silencer and replaces the one cut off with the old pipe section.

Here is the the new section supplied next to my silencer:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk0qcg2bnue37qw/Cybox1.jpg
Here it is fitted:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei4zanpup3qgtz2/Cybox2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/romiqvpktmowlds/Cybox3.jpg

The whole fitting experience was quite easy once I had plucked up the courage to cut the old pipe :?

The subsequent test drive proved it was worth doing. While the car still passes as sports car with a performance exhaust the antisocial boom is much reduced for both passengers and punters.

If you have a Peco/Cybox exhaust and want to tame it a little this mod is worth while addition.

Tim
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby mitreklov » Sat 12.07.2014, 17:06

Sorry about the external links, I had real trouble embedding the pictures for some reason.

I hope the links work.

Tim
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby steve matthews » Sun 13.07.2014, 12:01

:clap:

The wife would love this mod as well as the neighbors.

Steve - on the fence with the noise and performance issue.
steve matthews
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 13.07.2014, 15:36

Very tempting to buy!
Are there no extra rattles since installing it? Do the rear wishbones stay clear of it? 8)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby mitreklov » Mon 14.07.2014, 09:45

I have to admit I have not driven the car much since I fitted the mod but certainly first impressions are that there are no rattles or odd noises since fitting the baffle box just a general dulling of the boom that was there before.

On the clearance question I have to say I was a little concerned when fitting it about it fouling both the wishbone and lower spring disc on the shock as they looked pretty close. However once the car was on its natural ride height there is plenty of clearance all round. From memory the baffle box is only about 25-35mm greater in diameter than the original pipe.

I jumped on the suspension after fitting and there was not interference.
mitreklov
Enthusiast

Postby chrisP » Wed 27.08.2014, 12:23

I have been in touch with PNM Engineering (after talking to them at Brands Hatch)

I told him that there was a discussion on here and possibly a few people that would be interested in the second silencer.... He replied the other day and can match the £78 posted in the uk, but also offered a groupbuy with the following amounts:

5 units £75.50
10 units £71.50

Can we have a show of hands to see what the numbers are like please (I'm am not offering to organise this group buy, my hope is we can organise a group order over the course of a week or so and contact PNM independently and directly)

Best Regards

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Wed 27.08.2014, 18:49

Put my name down for one if it's the same as the peco box
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby chrisP » Mon 01.09.2014, 15:13

Group buy details now put in the correct location: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=23652
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby chrisP » Mon 06.10.2014, 12:28

Just to let you know I have received the extra silencer section from John at PNM Engineering and will be fitting it this coming weekend - will have some pictures then. He has 4 other sections for sale at the reduced price of £71.50 so if you are quick I would check out the group buy for information and save yourself a few ££££'s

Regards
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Exhaust