Emission Standards

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Emission Standards

Postby dapinky » Fri 25.09.2015, 09:50

12% should be easilly achievable - the UK MOT requires far more (16%).

As for the 25kph to rest scenario, I haven't read the Greek documents (as I'm sure something would get lost in Google Translate which would be important), but would equate it to the same condition for the UK.....

..... if a car has a Limited Slip Differential fitted (or some 4 x 4 vehicles), then it can cause damage to the mechanism if brake rollers are used, as the rollers will be forcing the diff to go where it cant, and there is a big bang! As such, these vehicles (in the UK) should be tested by use of a Decellerometer (Used to be known as a 'Tapley Meter', in the same way that my Dyson is known as a Hoover!).

To do this, the meter is placed in the passenger footwell, car is driven at a steady 25mph and brakes applied - meter tells you the rate of retardation, and the MOT tester decides if it brakes in a straight line - simples!

Same for the handbrake (but obviously using different 'pass mark') - there is no requirement to lock the wheels during the test, but it needs to lock them once the car becomes stationary (otherwise it wouldn't be a parking brake!).

For an Elan it has no rellevance as even if you have an LSD fitted it would be the wrong end of the car to the handbrake :?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 25.09.2015, 10:15

Good news on the import duty Pete. Sorry I couldn't take it any further as this notepad thingumajig is easily confused by Excel. Good points from Ian about adjusting the pot in service mode but (apologies for being a harbinger of doom once again) don't forget you have an issue with your ECU and the ALDl/SM connections. :cry:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby epipete » Fri 25.09.2015, 11:19

Yes I know Geoff, I still haven't bottomed that out yet! I got as far as proving the supply and earth are present using a multimetre; but where from I know not! But maybe the paperclip will actually work!

The car arrived yesterday and I haven't heard from the shipping co yet so next week it'll be now.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby cliff » Fri 25.09.2015, 12:19

Pete,

if you do have issues with the emissions, I have done the closed loop mod on my car and and happy to assist when I am on the island. Keep the bung well soaked in penetrating fluid.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
07 Megane CC
06 Alfa Romeo Brera

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 02.12.2015, 21:41

epipete wrote:Yes I know Geoff, I still haven't bottomed that out yet! I got as far as proving the supply and earth are present using a multimetre; but where from I know not! But maybe the paperclip will actually work!

The car arrived yesterday and I haven't heard from the shipping co yet so next week it'll be now.

Pete,

Here's my 2 cents, based on limited knowledge. (feel free to discard them as you probably have better advice available.)

Emissions:
Mine passed UK emissions after the exhaust hole was fixed, it registered 2.04%. It may be worth keeping one thing in mind. the measuring device used in my garage will record higher reading if the pressure is lower inside the exhaust. therefore a wider diameter exhaust may play against you. (im assuming more volume inside, decreases pressure for same RPM, somebody correct me if im wrong)

Handbrake
In UK (and from reading everyone else's posts seems same in cyprus) its measured as %. which can be "cheated" if the car is heavier in the rear. (may be your wife desperately needs 40kg of fertilizer for her tulips just by coincidence on the same day your going to do the MOT? :lol: )
Last edited by Tuga2112 on Wed 02.12.2015, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby petezipp » Wed 02.12.2015, 22:31

Didn't know about the LSD problem ????
I had an Eclat which I think I fitted an LSD ( never sure) and It would occasionally lock up in reverse.
I wonder if one of the MOT's messed it up.
What can fail on a roller?
pete
See that in the sky is it a Tesla No it's a Lotus
petezipp
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Exhaust