DVLA Don't Know Their Own Rules!

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

DVLA Don't Know Their Own Rules!

Postby Simon_P » Thu 11.05.2017, 20:43

It looks like the DVLA don't know their own rules.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-LOTUS-EL ... 2183273849

if the owner is reading this....

The car is over 25 years old so you need to read this.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles which expects that you will use second hand parts.

...and then speak to Alan at Club Lotus in the hope that he can dig you out of the hole you are in.
Simon_P
God

Re: DVLA Don't Know Their Own Rules!

Postby Toys2 » Thu 11.05.2017, 21:05

Simon_P wrote:It looks like the DVLA don't know their own rules.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-LOTUS-EL ... 2183273849

if the owner is reading this....

The car is over 25 years old so you need to read this.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles which expects that you will use second hand parts.

...and then speak to Alan at Club Lotus in the hope that he can dig you out of the hole you are in.

He may fall down on this ....."You must include the following with your application: official receipts for any parts used"
Toys2

Postby dapinky » Thu 11.05.2017, 21:53

As i put in another post regarding this matter - there were things that could have been done differently, but it is more than likely that it is now too late to 'back peddle' and rectify the situation.....

.....I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, but it will not (probably, if ANY Government department is involved) be as simple as it should be.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) all these things developed to prevent (or at least slow down) thieves from ringing nicked motors - but they fail to accomodate the genuine enthusiasts who try to save a car for their future enjoyment. (which I suppose is allowed for by the 'Q' plate situation). All it really means is a slightly lower 'snob value' to the vehicle, and a reduced 'value' at sale time because of it - it should have no bearing on the actual vehicle itself, just the perception of it.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.05.2017, 23:52

Also, he would at the least need to find a set of original tail lights since it requires the car to be "as original". Used parts OK with receipts but nothing newer or aftermarket.

I know it is really stupid since the original lights are not very good and even less if broken, but the governments are clueless when it comes to motor vehicles.

The US is equally helpless and those rules are created state by state and rarely are similar.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Simon_P » Fri 12.05.2017, 00:25

Toys2 wrote:He may fall down on this ....."You must include the following with your application: official receipts for any parts used"

Unlikely to be an issue, most important is to be able to prove the age and that it isn't stolen which the DVLA can check internally
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:since it requires the car to be "as original". Used parts OK with receipts but nothing newer or aftermarket.

they are only concerned with the things on the form, we have a very reasonable approach to these things. The important thing is to find the right person to ask the right question. In this case the bloke has asked the wrong person the wrong question and got himself a Q plate.
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 12.05.2017, 00:59

Simon_P wrote: The important thing is to find the right person to ask the right question. In this case the bloke has asked the wrong person the wrong question and got himself a Q plate.

Yep, that's pretty well summed it up :?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby simonbuk » Fri 12.05.2017, 11:50

Why not ping the Ebay seller a message to help him out ?
Simon - Black S2

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 12.05.2017, 15:41

simonbuk wrote:Why not ping the Ebay seller a message to help him out ?

Car now showing as ended, no longer available. Doesn't show as being sold specifically, so wonder if it has been sold or just withdrawn? Was just about thinking of buying it myself when I noticed this.

I did email him suggesting he removed his name and address from the DVLA letter and V5 photos on ebay, which he did. Wonder if he was too late and someone nicked it???
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!