The old water ingress issue

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

The old water ingress issue

Postby SteveO » Fri 05.08.2022, 12:41

Hi all,

I know it's a much laboured topic but I'm just wondering if the water leaks I get in heavy rain (stationary) are the usual A/B-pillar door seals or not.

I get a LOT of water coming in which drops from the underside of the dash, the lowest point (in the centre) under the steering wheel. I'm struggling to understand how it can find it's way there, rather than just dripping down the front corner of the inner sill by the front edge of the door. I've got the carpets and seats out at the moment to future proof the sills and would love to make some progress on this before putting it all back together (including replacing the sound insulation with non absorbent stuff and wax oiling cavities.

Has anyone had similar and resolved - do I have the regular seal issue or is the water getting in somewhere else?

Thanks
Steve
SteveO

Re: The old water ingress issue

Postby SteveO » Wed 10.08.2022, 10:30

Sorted it.. simple fix for wet knees.. relief!
SteveO

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 10.08.2022, 10:36

how did you solve the issue ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby SteveO » Wed 10.08.2022, 12:35

I pulled out the rubber seal that runs down the inner edge of the pillar (retaining plug pops out at the bottom) then cut a 'spear shaped' piece of 10mm non absorbent sound insulation that I've used to replace the sponge like original sound proof/underlay. Spear shaped to match the shape of the bottom of the rubber seal. Then just attached this with silicone to the rubber (making a hole for the retaining plug/screw) and pushed back in place.

I only had brown silicone in and was desperate to give it a go, (as was pretty sure I was on to something). Will probably re-do neater and with black silicone some time so not the neatest!!

Water was pouring in before, running down inner edge of console then dropping to the floow - dont get a drop now.

Hope that helps.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveO

Postby SteveO » Wed 10.08.2022, 12:48

I forgot to say.. its vital the stuck on piece of soundproofing (or rubber if you use rubber) goes as far as the arrow indicates, up to the metal runner of the front windscreen frame
SteveO

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!