Tow Bar?

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Tow Bar?

Postby Simon_P » Mon 06.07.2009, 21:23

I might just go a whishker over 60 but never the 3rd lane!

I have neglected wind resistance which becomes significant as it is proportional to the square of velocity (1/2 rho V2 S Cd)
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 06.07.2009, 21:42

What a choice, what a choice......

1) Exceeeding the speed limit
2) Prohibited traffic in lane 3
3) Careless driving
4) Dangerous driving
5) Using a vehicle in a manner whereby personal injury could be caused - - - maybe a bit tennuous that one, but plenty of others to write on the ticket :-D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby theelanman » Tue 07.07.2009, 00:58

Simon_P wrote:theelanman.
the material poperties of fibreglass are exceptional it is a question of how you spread the load and attach things that determines if you rip the floor out of the boot - Just a different set of design rules
Yes I have other cars. at the moment my towing veichle is an Audi Quattro - I wan't to get rid of it hence the need for the tow bar.
I'm going to make it myself so low cost.

I agree fibreglass is pretty good......and design is a good part of it....
however please dont forget that the car is not a whole piece.....it has some large bonded sections so what youd be relying on it some 20 year old sealant..... :shock:
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Gary » Tue 07.07.2009, 08:09

dapinky wrote:What a choice, what a choice......

1) Exceeeding the speed limit
2) Prohibited traffic in lane 3
3) Careless driving
4) Dangerous driving
5) Using a vehicle in a manner whereby personal injury could be caused - - - maybe a bit tennuous that one, but plenty of others to write on the ticket :-D

Twas the one and only time I got some points....
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby Rusty » Sun 19.07.2009, 17:12

Try this site for towbars:

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/lot ... -9098.html

Wouldn't want to fit one to my Elan in case it perverted me in to wanting to tow a caravan... :-D
Rusty

Postby mikeydude » Mon 20.07.2009, 23:19

Hmm,
My understanding is that to be used on a british highway a car has to be specified as to be able to have a tow bar fitted by the original manufacturer...so the first thing to do id to ask lotus if they have ever approved there car for towing...if not then I would guess you would have your insurance voided and it would fail the MOT...HMMMMMM!
mikeydude
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Fri 24.07.2009, 22:20

mikeydude,

Hmmmmmm.... I think you are a bit pessimistic.

MOT’s, the law, insurance void – all have a distinct set of rules and circumstances.

Ie if I took an old Morris Minor with the tow ball bolted to the rear bumper (as they are) it wouldn’t fail its MOT, is unlikely to be subjected to any laws and my insurance wouldn’t be void, and it could have been driven on British highways for the past 50 years.

So help me out….. Which law says it has to be specified by the original manufacturer and when did it come into force.

Where does the MOT test say that it has to be specified by the original manufacturer?

worth checking, but laws are usually sensible, I will need to abide by them, but they are unlikely to stop me.

Simon
Simon_P
God

Postby bobbrown » Sat 25.07.2009, 00:03

New regulations came into effect for all cars registered after 1st August 1998 If you look at the current regulations you can not fit a tow bar to a Ford KA amongst others as it was never type approved and I doubt that the Elan has ever been type approved for towing.
All cars that are type approved for towing and registered after 1st August 1998 have an “e” mark on the VIN plate, I wonder if they have one on an Elise?

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby mikeydude » Sat 25.07.2009, 19:09

bobbrown wrote:New regulations came into effect for all cars registered after 1st August 1998 If you look at the current regulations you can not fit a tow bar to a Ford KA amongst others as it was never type approved and I doubt that the Elan has ever been type approved for towing.
All cars that are type approved for towing and registered after 1st August 1998 have an “e” mark on the VIN plate, I wonder if they have one on an Elise?

Bob

Hey...that's what I said!!...so it's true...but...is it the case for cars registered prior to 1998?

Dam..I no matter how much you may laugh, I had plans to fit a tow bar and make a sort of light wieght trailter based on a large top box for our euro tour planned for next year....but looks like Our lovely government has put a stop to it....
mikeydude
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sat 25.07.2009, 19:20

mikeydude wrote:...is it the case for cars registered prior to 1998?

Regulations are NOT retrospective - so as long as your Elan was registered before the incepcion date, there is no (legal) problem.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby mikeydude » Sat 25.07.2009, 21:27

Hey...all go then
mikeydude
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Sun 26.07.2009, 00:30

So here are some facts...

New part of the MOT came into effect for tow bars April '09 - Suitably practical:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit ... 20test.pdf

Then there is the type approval stuff:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicle ... uently4577

There are 2 parts to this:
1. A type approved tow bar - effectively you can't make it yourself
2. A type approved vehicle

mikeydude wrote:Hey...that's what I said!!...so it's true...but...is it the case for cars registered prior to 1998?

mikedude, not quite what you said
mikeydude wrote:a car

but your second point is valid. "New legislation came into effect" doesn't mean that there was no "old" legislation .... the jury is still out!

Just trying to read this I would blame the european's rather than our government...
Simon_P
God

Postby bobbrown » Sun 26.07.2009, 08:59

I think this new MOT legislation covers all towbars and is not year dependant, and the critical bit is "attached to the vehicle structure".
The body is NOT vehicle structure so you would have to attach the tow bar to the chassis and I think you will find this very difficult to do. Never mind the fact that the chassis was never designed to have a towbar fitted.
You may think that the loading on a tow ball is just the nose weight of the trailer plus the load to pull/push the trailer but this is not the case the tow ball is subject to all sorts of loads even with a very light trailer this can and does exceed the weight of the trailer.
I also think the Morris Minor scenario is now ruled illegal as will be some other home made towbars.

As a point of interest the VX220 has this comment "the manufacturers of the vehicle (Lotus) do not recommend that it is suitable for towing. I am almost certain the same will apply to the Elan.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby mikeydude » Sun 26.07.2009, 17:07

Thanks Guys, for th info, sorry if I have hijacked your thread a bit...but it is very much on topic.

I think I will consult the company mentioned on here that do a towbar for the elan.
See what they have to say.
mikeydude
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Sun 26.07.2009, 17:49

Bobbrown,

Interesting... Lotus refer to "Body Structure" and deem it of sufficient strength to attaching seats seatbelts etc and for jacking the car up.

I don't think that the loading is just the weight +push pull and I haven't said that it is.

I'm not an MOT inspector but I don't see why the Morris Minor example is not still valid - Provided that it is deemed of sufficient strength (they would have all been banned years ago if it wasn't). Incorrectly attached type approved tow bars would also fail - MOT instructions seem clear to me.

Simon
Simon_P
God

Postby Simon_P » Sun 26.07.2009, 17:52

Thanks to all those who have replied.

I'll respond to further posts if they are detailed, constructive, and contain facts.

Simon
Simon_P
God

Postby Dave Drury » Thu 23.02.2012, 19:05

Hello all, an old post i know but did anyone get anywhere with the elan m100 tow bar? as i'm putting one on mine ready for the spring. I'm fed up of choosing the camper or the lotus so i've bought a 1965 micro van that normally get pulled by ford anglia's mini's 2cv smart car etc etc.

Any help out there appreciated, please don't bore me with the legals or the chassis damage stuff i'm doing it one way or the other, and with elans now at disposable prices in the uk i.e £1800 i could always buy another if the monstrous fibreglass 400kg trailor rips my chassis in half. :roll:

Cheers

Dave
Dave Drury

Postby Nickydee » Thu 23.02.2012, 19:56

This thread predates last years Donington and the appearance of Albert from Germany.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=19579&p=251954&hilit=albert#p251880

Think peoples views have changed a bit since!.
Nickydee
Fanatic

Postby Dave Drury » Sat 25.02.2012, 04:47

Wow now thats an eye catcher does anyone know who the owner is so i might get n touch with him for some photo's of the tow bar set up,

Cheers
Dave Drury

Postby trig » Sat 25.02.2012, 11:53

Dave Drury wrote:Wow now thats an eye catcher does anyone know who the owner is so i might get n touch with him for some photo's of the tow bar set up,

Cheers

His name is Albert and his is the last post on the link viewtopic.php?f=120&t=19579&p=251954&hilit=albert#p251880

try giving him a pm, I wish I took some pics of Albert car underneath to show how its' attached, it was a really nice job
trig
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!