Speedo/Odometer/Tripometer Stopped Working

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Speedo/Odometer/Tripometer Stopped Working

Postby Specky » Sun 05.09.2010, 09:51

That's very good Geoffers !!!

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby dapinky » Sun 05.09.2010, 11:06

For what it's worth, the part number for the cable is A100N0001F, and is listed at £39.99 at SJ Sportscars.

I assume it will be the same for the fed elan, as it is the one used in RHD and also LHD (Euro) models - unfortunately, i dont have a parts listing for the Fed car.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby mti88m3 » Sun 05.09.2010, 14:53

Excellent, thanks Dave!
mti88m3

Postby steve matthews » Sun 05.09.2010, 16:20

Their will be 1 or 2 cable ties up in the dash of the Fed. car.
until you cut these the line will not budge.
If all else fails I have an old one -w- 31,000 miles.
Steve -w- new lady :m100:
steve matthews
God

Postby mti88m3 » Tue 07.09.2010, 20:11

Just ordered a brand new cable from Dave Been Engineering, they have them in stock and just shy of $40 not including shipping.
mti88m3

Postby mti88m3 » Tue 14.09.2010, 15:16

Got my new cable from Dave Bean yesterday, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the cable out of the back of the speedometer. I haven't seen the two white lugs the Wiki mentions, and I don't want to try too hard and break something. There's a little metal surround, kinda like a clip, I can press down, but I don't make any in/out progress. I am able to rotate the cable end a bit, but again, no in/out progress. I took a couple pictures, what am I missing?

mti88m3

Postby Specky » Tue 14.09.2010, 16:24

Push the clip down and withdraw the cable.

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby L.G. » Tue 14.09.2010, 19:13

maz_r wrote:Just to add more confusion; did the engine start to run rough when the speedo stopped working?

One of the signals which feeds into the ECM is a VSS which comes off the speedo in the binnacle. If the speedo has stopped working, this signal will no longer be present and the ECM will think the car is stationary, thus affecting the engine behaviour.

Just wondering....

Engine doesn't run rough. What happens is if you travel downhill in gear (between something like 1800-4400 rpm, exact range is given in the service manual) and don't touch the throttle, engine light will be lit and it will give Code 24 (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Therefore I assume VSS signals are important when fuel cut off is active (does it have fuel cut off by the way?).

Cheers
L.G.
'95 S2 driver #286
L.G.
Fanatic

Postby mti88m3 » Wed 15.09.2010, 02:48

Thanks guys! I had to do some light prying, but I got the old cable out, and just finished installing the new one a little bit ago.

The only real trouble I ran into was having to pry the cable off the back of the instrument cluster, and there was a wire tie kinda deep in the dash, underneath the fuse/relay box that I had to clip. I was able to feed the new cable through pretty easily using the shift cable trick (taping the new one to the end of the old one and pulling it through). Although I did clip the end off the old cable so I wouldn't have to deal with threading that fat piece through the firewall.
mti88m3

Postby Lotus54 » Sat 12.07.2014, 01:15

I have a broken inner speedo cable.
I managed to get the drive out (that was fun) but I'm have some issues getting it apart so I can replace the inner cable.

Does it just screw apart? Regular right hand thread any tips?

I don't want to damage anything. I sprayed some Kriol on where it looks like it unscrews and will try again- but certainly welcom andy thoughts.

Mark
91 Elan, Ducati Multistrada S, 2014 OSSA Explorer
Lotus54
Enthusiast

Postby Lotus54 » Wed 16.07.2014, 22:56

I still can't get it apart- no tool I have will fit the 'lower' part and I don't want to use vise grips or something.

Any ideas? I can't replace the cable if I can't get the getup I'd thing apart.
(I may be making it a lot harder than it should be- I got a bad case of the Shingles)

Mark

Edit:
I finally got it apart with use of a heat gun.
New cable centre- new O ring, now the fun part of trying to get it seated.
Anyone know if the drive turns with one wheel off the ground? Or do both have to be?

What a haywire design. I understand it wasn't made for this car- but it probably wasn't that wonderful on the Isuzu either.
Sure would have bee nice if Lotus had kept more room around it at least.
91 Elan, Ducati Multistrada S, 2014 OSSA Explorer
Lotus54
Enthusiast

Speedometer Cable Replacement

Postby tomovich » Sun 05.10.2014, 19:38

I am trying to replace my speedometer cable and am ready to pull out whatever hair I have left. I got the tranny end connected but that's about it. My entire dashboard is removed and I still can't even get the old one out. Like someone already mentioned on this problen, curses to the evil f**k that decided the cable should be wire tied to the harness. Does anybody have an pointers about getting this done other than training a small child to get under there to sort it out. I'm even entertaining the idea of creating a new path (hole thru firewall) to accomplish this. Please help!!! :banghead:
tomovich

Re: Speedometer Cable Replacement

Postby DeanG » Wed 08.10.2014, 00:30

I had the gauge binnical out and the drivers side seat for more room. I ended up holding a small set of dikes and sliding my hands down the cable. I felt around until I was sure that only the zip tie was in the jaws. When I clipped the zip tie it sounded right. All was well. Good luck.
DeanG
God

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!