Questions CEL 41/42

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Questions CEL 41/42

Postby texaselite » Tue 24.12.2013, 17:45

After getting HES replaced once (and a myriad of other upgrades), about 500 miles into it, got CEL codes 41 and 42. Took it back to mechanic and he replaced the HES for the second time. Also got the oil cooler replaced since I had a leak. Car still does not drive smooth at all, and in stop and go traffic will stall out regularly when engine is getting near 3/4 temp. He told me it was ok to drive with CEL light even though I still have Code 41 and 42.

Is the HES just supposed to be hanging down like this under the black housing?
HES hanging OK?

He told me to get a replacement for this part...can someone tell me what this is?
Sensor?

With codes 41 and 42, is it worth getting an ElanScan and getting a run in...is it safe to drive?

Appreciate the help.
Last edited by texaselite on Tue 24.12.2013, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
texaselite
Enthusiast

Re: Questions CEL 41/42

Postby epipete » Tue 24.12.2013, 18:05

Afraid I can't see any pictures!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby texaselite » Tue 24.12.2013, 18:21

Sorry, replaced with links
texaselite
Enthusiast

Postby rip » Tue 24.12.2013, 21:17

Elanscan will give you the same fault codes, but in plain English rather than giving you a number which you have to look up in a chart.
I can't look at my wiring now because it is dark over here & the Elan is also trapped. The wiring looks a bit temporary to me though.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby tigerdog » Wed 25.12.2013, 03:39

Hall Effect Sensor should not be dangling; connector maybe but not sensor. Even a dangling connector puts undue strain on the wires, leading to premature failure.

Prior to a hard drive failure, I had a lovely article gleaned from the interwebz that discussed the importance of proper installation clearance for these sensors. Now, the closest I can come is here (clicky). It might be worth pulling the one screw that holds the cover and inspecting the work done inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Peter_W » Wed 25.12.2013, 06:46

texaselite wrote:Is the HES just supposed to be hanging down like this under the black housing?
HES hanging OK?

As described in the Cam angle sensor (CAS) Wiki page the replacement style HES fits via a mounting plinth to the cam angle baseplate - the HES leads and connector/engine harness are hanging in your photo.

texaselite wrote:He told me to get a replacement for this part...can someone tell me what this is?
Sensor?

Also per the CAS Wiki page - the CAS contains two sensors - the HES to provide a timing reference for the injection sequence, and the second (your second photo) is the magnetic pickup used by the ECM to measure engine speed and control ignition timing. See the diagram in tigerdog's post. Hopefully someone with experience with this will chime in if this is an obtainable sensor.
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well"
Peter_W
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 28.12.2013, 22:17

I got a free minute so pulled out a NEW CAS.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://www.lotuselanm100usa.info/CAS/

The HES is mounted so that the interrupter is closes to the middle pickup post. It almost touches as the flag goes past it.

The Speed Sensor is mounted so the air gap is 0.008" between the snout and the wheel.

The HES on the original unit is self contained including the plug. The replacement HES has a pigtail wire that ends with the plug.
Based on that, the picture "HES hanging OK?" is basically correct but I would find a way to secure the plug so it can't move around.

I will try to dig out a replacement HES and install it on a used CAS to see if there are any fitment differences
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby HJ2 » Mon 30.12.2013, 23:08

Somewhere hidden on the forum is a DIY for repairing the sensor itself!

Under the thick layer of conformal coating, there is a amll PCB with corroded contact points.
Remode Conformal coating, resolder the joints, replace conformal coating and you're off for no money at all !
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby inkitin » Tue 31.12.2013, 00:53

HJ2 wrote:Somewhere hidden on the forum is a DIY for repairing the sensor itself!

Under the thick layer of conformal coating, there is a amll PCB with corroded contact points.
Remode Conformal coating, resolder the joints, replace conformal coating and you're off for no money at all !

It's here
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin: 28/09/1949 - 23/07/2014
inkitin
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!