Engine mount help, PLEASE

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Engine mount help, PLEASE

Postby m100sandra » Sat 28.12.2013, 14:09

I have my other half on with replacing the to top cambelt cover :( If he finaly gets there pics to follow.....

Ive been asked if anyone can give advice with lining up the engine mount? a jack was placed under the sump which still didnt stop the engine moving :( the engine doesnt want to move at all now to line it back up with the mount? is there a easy way with the Elan, any advice really appreciated....

If he can sort the above out Today im hoping to give it a run out Tomorrow as the forcast is looking good.

Thanks
sandra
m100sandra
Fanatic

Re: Engine mount help, PLEASE

Postby HJ2 » Sat 28.12.2013, 14:16

Is the engine hanging down?

With a Jack under the sump, you should be able to lift the engine to the correct height for the engine support. The horizontal plane can be adjusted a little with a little level of a crowbar.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby muley » Sat 28.12.2013, 14:22

Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems.

If it's on a jack with castors it should be possible to move the engine about a little. I used a bit of timber as a lever against the engine (try to find a tough bit!) to make a final adjustment.

Also assemble the mount loosely - I seem to remember having to drift the fore and aft bolt in with a piece of wood.. before finally tightening.

HTH

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby m100sandra » Sat 28.12.2013, 15:47

Thanks for the replys, He's strugling a bit :( What is the best way to get at the bolts holding the mount in place, i.e. the long bolt and nut is now removed (the one which goes through the rubber bush), the front top one is undone, how are you supposed to get to the rear (top to chassis)) one? as it seems imposible with a socket?
It would be great if somone could tell me the correct procedure to take the mount off as a lot of the bolts seem imposible to get at from the engine bay, taking into account its only to take the top cambelt cover off......

Help :?
Sandra
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby muley » Sat 28.12.2013, 16:39

What you have to do is work from underneath.

The bolts for the mount are set into the inside of the chassis rail.

There's no room for a socket - I've found ratchet ring spanners to be the perfect tools for accessing the bolts.

HTH

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby m100sandra » Sat 28.12.2013, 17:17

just found this link http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Engin ... _%28O/S%29 if that's the best way? will the top cambelt cover come off if he just goes as far as fig 2 i.e. just the bracket removed? not the alloy bracket?
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sat 28.12.2013, 19:52

Lotuska's method is similar to what i usually do so yes, it should work 8)
If you want access to the middle bolt of the upper CAM belt cover, than it is easiest to remove the support entirely. If you undo the allen key nuts (as suggested from below!) and then crank the engine up a little to give you more room, you can remove the strut (with some fiddling!) without the need to separate the black steel part from the aluminum part. The entire assembly goes out from the op.

Another tip: Don't put the middle bolt back when you replace the cover. This way you can remove the cover in the future without the need of removing the entire engine strut :-D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sat 28.12.2013, 20:15

Motor mount disassembly process.

1- Raise headlight via the motor knob
2- support motor with jack and remove tension from bolt.
3- Remove long bolt, nut and impact compression spacer
4- remove forward top bolt. (A flexible extension is very helpful here)
5- remove aft top bolt (Ditto)
6- remove three lower side motor mount bolts (a long spanner or a box wrench useful here)
7- remove U yoke from engine. Three bolts.
8- remove aluminum motor mount bracket 4 Allen bolts.

From there, you can get to the tensioners for the ancillary belts. To remove the pulley bolt, an impact gun is preferable. If not available, leave the mount on, car on the ground and use a long extension with a breaker bar through the wheel opening as that bolt is tough to get off otherwise.

Hope this helps.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!