Gonna need a bigger thread...

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Gonna need a bigger thread...

Postby Johndy » Fri 14.02.2014, 15:49

Hi guys,

I used to be a member on here years ago, but then i got kids, a subaru and a saab and covered my baby Lotus up and left her. Now however I want to wake her up!!

I span up the engine every now and then to get oil circulating but other than that she is untouched for 3 yearsish

Anyway refuelled her and tried to fire her up yesterday when it wasn't raining and she wasnt having any of it, checked the plugs and they were dry couldnt hear the buzz of a fuel pump either. Any ideas

Also between the spark plug is a pug that had come out (picture to follow) any idea how to replace/putitback/renew?

there will be so many more questions after these ones, sorry.

Thank you

Johndy
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
2004 SAAB 9-5 AERO sportswagon
2002 Mercedes Vito 112CDi
Johndy

Re: Gonna need a bigger thread...

Postby lotos » Fri 14.02.2014, 16:57

What happened when you turned the key? Did it try to start? Or no noise at all? How's the battery?
lotos
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 14.02.2014, 16:58

Did you accidentally trip the fuel pump roll over switch (or inertia switch)
http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Inertia_switch?
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Johndy » Fri 14.02.2014, 17:32

HJ2 wrote:Did you accidentally trip the fuel pump roll over switch (or inertia switch)

Its not an S2 its a 91SE I don't think they have them
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
Johndy

Postby Johndy » Fri 14.02.2014, 17:33

lotos wrote:What happened when you turned the key? Did it try to start? Or no noise at all? How's the battery?

Brand new battery, engine spins nicely, oil pressure increases just no fire in the belly. I think its fuel flow somehow.
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
Johndy

Postby lotos » Fri 14.02.2014, 18:02

Could be fuel, could be spark. No Spark could be coils, wires, or plugs. No fuel could be pump, filter, injectors, etc.
lotos
God

Postby Johndy » Fri 14.02.2014, 18:07

I can't remember where the filter and co are

:-(
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
Johndy

Postby lotos » Fri 14.02.2014, 18:22

The Service Manual will probably be handy to you. Jump to page 442 for the location of the fuel system. Hope that is of some help to you! Good luck.
lotos
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.02.2014, 19:18

Johndy wrote:
HJ2 wrote:Did you accidentally trip the fuel pump roll over switch (or inertia switch)

Its not an S2 its a 91SE I don't think they have them

All of the cars have them. The locations are different depending on left hand or right hand car. For UK cars, it should be in the battery compartment. You should have purposely tripped this when you stored the car so you could run it until it died to clear out all of the fuel from the lines.

You can get access to all of the manuale by clicking on the manuals link at the top of the LEC page. The V.6 manual is more up to date for the '91 model year as the V.2 was released in '89.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Johndy » Fri 14.02.2014, 19:22

I have the plug but how to refit it??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
Johndy

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.02.2014, 19:44

Johndy wrote:I have the plug but how to refit it??

That, my friend is a FREEZE plug or also called an expansion plug. It means the engine FROZE while it was sitting. If one plug popped, others might have as well (there are several in the engine/head to prevent the block/head from cracking due to ice expansion), so I wouldn't try starting it until you have checked for adequite coolant levels and had the one that popped out replaced with a new one. You CAN'T re-use the old one. Don't try to re-use it because it has already compressed to fit the first time and it doesn't uncompress correctly when it pops out. They are a bugger to get out once installed and re-using one will most likely leak since it can't compress to fit the hole correctly.

It is possible you don't have any coolant in the engine - or it is mixed in with the oil if the block cracked if a block expansion plug didn't pop out like it was meant to. JUST LOOK at coolant and oil levels to make sure you don't have any other issues.

Check the inertia switch in the battery box. Make sure it is fully depressed or the fuel pump won't run. If it is fully depressed, it is possible the pump has seized due to having fuel in it for a long time which gums it up and basically glues it tight.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Johndy » Fri 14.02.2014, 19:51

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
Johndy wrote:I have the plug but how to refit it??

That, my friend is a FREEZE plug or also called an expansion plug. It means the engine FROZE while it was sitting. If one plug popped, others might have as well (there are several in the engine/head to prevent the block/head from cracking due to ice expansion), so I wouldn't try starting it until you have checked for adequite coolant levels and had the one that popped out replaced with a new one. You CAN'T re-use the old one. Don't try to re-use it because it has already compressed to fit the first time and it doesn't uncompress correctly when it pops out. They are a bugger to get out once installed and re-using one will most likely leak since it can't compress to fit the hole correctly.

It is possible you don't have any coolant in the engine - or it is mixed in with the oil if the block cracked if a block expansion plug didn't pop out like it was meant to. JUST LOOK at coolant and oil levels to make sure you don't have any other issues.

Check the inertia switch in the battery box. Make sure it is fully depressed or the fuel pump won't run. If it is fully depressed, it is possible the pump has seized due to having fuel in it for a long time which gums it up and basically glues it tight.

thanks, where do i get new ones and how do i fit them?
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
Johndy

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.02.2014, 21:14

I would assume a DIY store would have them but there are tools to install them so they are square to the bore. If you do it wrong, you stand the chance of cracking the cylinder head, so my first thought is that if you are asking how to do it, you should take it to a shop to have someone experienced install a new plug. The big issue is: Is that the only plug that came out? Did anything else crack during the freeze?

You can't start or run the engine with the plug out since the very least resault will be the coolant will go all over the place and the worst result is the coolant will mix with the oil and contaminate everything. Talk to your regular mechanic for his advice on the situation. Maybe he will come to your place to install it or send another mechanic? Do you have AA? Maybe they will come and install?

I would cease trying to start it until the expansion plug is resolved.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Johndy » Sat 15.02.2014, 01:15

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I would assume a DIY store would have them but there are tools to install them so they are square to the bore. If you do it wrong, you stand the chance of cracking the cylinder head, so my first thought is that if you are asking how to do it, you should take it to a shop to have someone experienced install a new plug. The big issue is: Is that the only plug that came out? Did anything else crack during the freeze?

You can't start or run the engine with the plug out since the very least resault will be the coolant will go all over the place and the worst result is the coolant will mix with the oil and contaminate everything. Talk to your regular mechanic for his advice on the situation. Maybe he will come to your place to install it or send another mechanic? Do you have AA? Maybe they will come and install?

I would cease trying to start it until the expansion plug is resolved.

be back in a bit.......
1991 Red Lotus Elan SE
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX
1978 Mercedes 450SLC
Johndy

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!