Gearbox speedo driven gear - no retaining plate?

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Gearbox speedo driven gear - no retaining plate?

Postby ShaunM » Sat 07.06.2014, 11:36

Removed coolant tank and peered down to find the speedo driven gear. I can see the little nob where the retaining plate should be, but no retaining plate.

Another s2 difference, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

http://twitter.com/ShaunMarrison/status ... 4577030144
------------------------------------------
Dr Shaun Marrison
Managing Director
Google Adwords Experts www.internetadvertisingsolutions.co.uk
ShaunM
Fanatic

Re: Gearbox speedo driven gear - no retaining plate?

Postby muley » Sat 07.06.2014, 14:35

What you have there is exactly similar to mine. Probably caused by a garage professional (as mine had a full service history) overtightening the little bolt that holds the plate in place and shearing it off. IIRC the torque setting is just a few ft-lbs

I've tried all manner of ways to remove the remains - and failed.

Finally I have installed a hold fast bracket to bear down on the drive - it's been like that a few years with no problem.

HTH

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby ShaunM » Sun 08.06.2014, 23:47

Thanks Jim,

Had a look in the service history and the previous owner ordered an entire new setup for the speedo cable & assembly A100F6014...7F, plus the Retaining Plate and the socket screw A100W7089F.

I'll have another look and see if they've made a bracket similar to the one you describe. Presumably something has been holding it in place for the last 25k miles...
------------------------------------------
Dr Shaun Marrison
Managing Director
Google Adwords Experts www.internetadvertisingsolutions.co.uk
ShaunM
Fanatic

Postby rip » Mon 09.06.2014, 00:00

muley wrote:What you have there is exactly similar to mine. Probably caused by a garage professional (as mine had a full service history) overtightening the little bolt that holds the plate in place and shearing it off. IIRC the torque setting is just a few ft-lbs

That was a bit silly of them. The bolt is small, awkward to get at & does not do a very stressful job. A touch more than finger tight is all it justifies.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 09.06.2014, 00:28

The newer parts guide shows a simple piece of metal bridging the gap and holding the assembly in the gearbox. Blowing up Shaun's picture, it looks like there is a thin head bolt holding a thin plate aross to hold the assembly.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sat 12.07.2014, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby muley » Mon 09.06.2014, 06:57

rip wrote:
muley wrote:What you have there is exactly similar to mine. Probably caused by a garage professional (as mine had a full service history) overtightening the little bolt that holds the plate in place and shearing it off. IIRC the torque setting is just a few ft-lbs

That was a bit silly of them. The bolt is small, awkward to get at & does not do a very stressful job. A touch more than finger tight is all it justifies.

When I discovered it, the fact the drive was bodged in with silicone sealant and it was impossible to really get at it - i thought it was a 'bit silly', too... ... and invented a brand new series of swear words. ;)

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!