fuel pump doesn't work

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: fuel pump doesn't work

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 06.03.2017, 01:06

Rambo wrote:I forgot to mention that my non starting/fuel pump problem has now been fully resolved. The problem was very simple in the end :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, thanks to all LEC'rs who helped with their suggestions

and... it was what? We need to know to help others... :poke:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Mon 06.03.2017, 01:17

lotusflasherman wrote:and... it was what? We need to know to be able to take the p1$$... :poke:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Rambo » Mon 13.03.2017, 22:03

dapinky wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:and... it was what? We need to know to be able to take the p1$$... :poke:

It’s a bit of a long story really but for those that want the quick answer....

it was the fuel pump relay...... but if you want the long answer and the solution, then read on....

After doing all the usual checks I came to the relay and couldn’t find it !! I eventually came across it on the floor of the battery compartment near the inertia switch !! I couldn’t work out why it had come out but, anyway, I checked where it should be on my other car and saw a similar FP relay through the 3cm hole cutaway in the plastic cover by the bulkhead

So, I went back to the knackered car and put the FP relay in the same position, turned the key and expected it to start. No FP relay noise !! I then swapped the relays round to check and still nothing !!

I then went back to my NMY and turned the ignition with the FP relay not in place. Guess what, FP whirr and the car started. WTF ??

And then I thought this can’t be the correct position for the FP relay so prised back the plastic cover further and found an identical relay to the LHS. I came to the conclusion that my NMY had a spare relay for some reason ???

I went back to the black one, slotted the FP relay in the correct socket, turned the ignition, FP primed/whirred and engine fired 1st time

So it was the FP relay all along. It's just my ignorance and lack of understanding. But, at least I now know where the relay should go :oops: :oops:

OK, time for the pi$$takers to have their say. Cue Geoff, Dapinky, Lotusflasherman et al..... :lol: :lol:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby dapinky » Tue 14.03.2017, 10:38

Rambo wrote:OK, time for the pi$$takers to have their say. Cue Geoff, Dapinky, Lotusflasherman et al..... :lol: :lol:

In this case, I don't think taking the pi$$ is a viable option.....

.... you had an issue, tried to sort it, asked advice, then sorted out your problem - good drills!

If it had been the inertia switch, fuse or something else which a man of your experience should know to check, then much 'taking' would take place.....

So, in summary - you had a problem, you sorted it out after following the appropriate steps, you're back on the road, and others may now follow a similar route to get going - isn't that what this forum is for?????
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Postby Rambo » Tue 14.03.2017, 18:43

Yes, of course it is Dave. That's exactly what the forum is for

I was pleased to solve the problem eventually and it taught me a thing or two along the way. Who says "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" ?
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Xavier T » Thu 08.06.2017, 23:22

the problem has been solved. It was a bad positive wiring.
Xavier T

Postby JossElan » Sun 08.10.2017, 13:56

Hi all,

Similar problem - trying to fix on a mates drive. Turn on ignition, no fuel pump buzz, no engine light. Turns over but doesn't start.

I've checked resistance from + post to relay (okay) and have shorted the relay and fuel pump buzzes but doesn't start. Still no engine light.

Any ideas?
JossElan
Tinkerer

Postby JossElan » Sun 08.10.2017, 14:17

Right, fault tested the whole fuel pump diagram. Although haven't been able to test the relay.

I assume that the immobiliser circuit is spliced into it somewhere (sigma). Any ideas?
JossElan
Tinkerer

Postby JossElan » Sun 08.10.2017, 14:27

(Central locking works from key fob)
JossElan
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Sun 08.10.2017, 17:19

Joss,

I can't help with your problem, but just wanted you to know that you aren't talking to yourself :?
Dave

dapinky

Postby JossElan » Sun 08.10.2017, 18:28

Thanks buddy! RAC here now.
JossElan
Tinkerer

Postby JossElan » Sat 14.10.2017, 19:06

Well, got recovered back home, but no better off.

I want to check that it isn’t just a loose connector somewhere - Anyone got a wiring diagram of the Sigma M30? (And any advice where it’s all located?)
JossElan
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling